Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Exactly how much can iMovie really handle? I'll find out....

Exactly how much can iMovie really handle? I'll find out....
banninated68
Banned
Dec 3, 2004, 09:41 AM

I have a music video I'm doing... it's about an hour long... and I already have several HUNDRED edits and filters all layed over the top of each other, maybe even closer to a thousand. It sure is bogging down, but so far so good. Anyone know what a record is for editing in imovie?

And yes, next time I'm going to use FCP, I just don't know it as well...

- Ca$h

Visnaut
Senior User
Dec 3, 2004, 02:20 PM

Wow, some music video if it's an hour long. I'm assuming it's more like a thematic footage montage set to music, like a 'boarding vid? But I digress...

I remember seeing a story on Apple's "Hot News" once about an independent film or documentary of some sort being edited entirely in iMovie. A quick search didn't turn it up, but I'm quite sure it was a full-length piece.

banninated68  (op)
Banned
Dec 3, 2004, 07:05 PM

it's insane. I'll post a clip of one of the insane parts if I have time. I don't know how many edits I had, but I had 13gigs of video in the TRASH for htat project, and over 350 files in the media folder.

- Rob

uberwrensch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2004, 07:45 PM

My recent project was *only* 15 minutes long, but all the requisite cuts and transitions and a few effects...near the end of editing it was real slow going w/ iMovie. I did it all on my 1.33 17" AlPB w/ external FW800/7200rpm/8mb cache. Anyway, I don't even remember how many cuts there were but probably <100.

I'd be interested in seeing your music vid

Uber

Dex13
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2004, 03:09 PM

Cash, your only on the tip of the iceberg, there is so much more complication to post production video-editing.

iMovie, should do fine, I did all of my early editing on, though slow, at least it rendered okay, and never crashed, the primary reason it seems to be bogged down is that the either you haven't rendered everything or you have too low of memory.

Try Rendering a Movie that's only 12 minutes long, but takes six hours to render.

not to mention export.

Best of Luck with your video.

banninated68  (op)
Banned
Dec 4, 2004, 04:23 PM

I'm running a 1ghzg4 with 1 gig of ram, and imovie has crashed 3 times. No other apps open. I hit burn dvd at 2:45pm yesterday, and it spit out the dvd at about 5am this morning. It's HUGE. Unfortunatly the dvd wasn't burned right, it screwed up somehow, so I' exporting the whole thing as 1 big quicktime movie, and then I'll try to burn that.

- Ca$h

Dex13
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 01:39 AM

mpeg in my experience doesn't bog down huge files to small ones. You might want to try yo convert it down to .avi with divx.

How Big exactly are files you are using?

banninated68  (op)
Banned
Dec 5, 2004, 01:06 PM

Quicktime isn't mpeg.

- Ca$h

Dex13
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 10:42 PM

.mov?

sorry I work w/ avid or premiere on a PC.

banninated68  (op)
Banned
Dec 6, 2004, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Dex13:
.mov?

sorry I work w/ avid or premiere on a PC.
....uh... so what are you doing here?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2004, 11:05 AM

I'm making a documentary that will end up being 42 minutes long (like the length of an hour episode of westwing).

It will be available at http://www.cornerhouse257.tk

I already have the trailer up. Check it out if you want. If you're a Michael Moore fan, you might recognize something

Regarding iMovie, it is a big slow when it comes to going between a single clip and the entire movie, and dragging sound tracks is a bit slow. My PB is holding up alright though. I export to 3ivx dual pass. It's wonderful technology and completely compatible with QT 6.

banninated68  (op)
Banned
Dec 6, 2004, 12:18 PM

It wasn't the length taht was an issue... it was the number of edits and filters. As for just raw minutes, I did a movie that was well over 1.5 hours long a few months ago.

- Rob

Dex13
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2004, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by banninated68:
....uh... so what are you doing here?
trying to help you cause I have used imovie in the past

no need to be a dick as usual

banninated68  (op)
Banned
Dec 8, 2004, 03:07 AM

I wasn't being a dick, just asking. No need to assume everyone's a jerk like usual.

banninated68  (op)
Banned
Dec 15, 2004, 01:05 AM

Well, it's finished. Bad news is it couldn't burn it correctly (too many files, edits, i don't know) but it exported fine, so I exported a full DV quality one, and I"ll burn that tomorrow.

Anwyay, here's the ultra compressed 150 meg version, which I"ll put up at night if you're really that curious.

- Rob

PS: http://chicane.myftp.org/Videos/GTAStyle.mov
( Last edited by banninated68; Dec 15, 2004 at 02:35 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules