Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How Do I Clean My Powerbook Keyboard?

How Do I Clean My Powerbook Keyboard?
Pr0c32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2005, 06:30 PM

I've had my Mac since around April 2004 and this just occurred to me. I'm wondering how I would clean between the keys since I've noticed quite a bit of hair and other random things underneath.

If it matters, I'm on a 12" PB.

PMDaly
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2005, 06:59 PM

Compressed Air?

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2005, 07:02 PM

Get a can of air - it actually gets out most of the junk.

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2005, 02:05 AM

just don't shoot the can upside down.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2005, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by bovie:
just don't shoot the can upside down.
I'm not one to try it myself to find out... what would happen. Someone told me of another coworker who was out of work a week because one of those cans expoded. Don't know what had happened specifically though.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Cheetah223
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2005, 08:20 PM

If you turn it upside down you'll get a liquid rather than air, and the liquid will freeze anything it comes in contact with. They're fun to mess with your friends, but not many machines will respond the same way a friend will.
Have:
30GB 5G iPod
Want:
15" 2.16GHz MBP - 20" Cinema Display

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2005, 08:48 PM

Like, Cheetah223 said it shoots cool liquid. Try shooting your wall or somthing but now your pb.

I would say use the can of AIR to clean under the keys and use a lighly damp cloth to clean the tops of the keys.

Also, I now wash my hand before I use my PB. It might sound funny but, It really helps keep the keys clean.

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 10, 2005, 10:09 PM

are baby wipes too moist to apply on the keyboard? i'll either carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer or a bottle of baby wipes with me when taking the powerbook around. well.. i should get the powerbook first cmon apple! announce tiger already.

Cheetah223
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 12:01 AM

I used to work as an aide in a computer lab, usually got stiffed cleaning keyboards and such. We used little towelette things, pretty much exactly like the alcohol pads you get in a first aid kit, but they were a bit bigger and specifically designed for cleaning keyboards, they were about as moist as baby whipes are. As long as you're not dripping liquid under the keyboard you'll be fine.
Have:
30GB 5G iPod
Want:
15" 2.16GHz MBP - 20" Cinema Display

mduser63
Apr 11, 2005, 12:45 AM

I was wondering about this a few days ago. I've noticed that on a few of the commonly used keys there was a bit of grime building up, and couldn't really think of how best to clean it without damaging the keyboard. I'll try some baby wipes or alcohol towlettes. Thanks for the suggestions.
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

sweetsdream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2005, 12:01 PM

I use a vaccum cleaner with the little brush dust thingy. Just be careful not to suck up the keys.
Cheers,
SweetsDream

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 10:57 PM

I was reading this thread and I just noticed I was starting to wear a shine into my space bar. Does anyone else have this problem? It's an 17-inch PB.

Regarding cleaning keyboards...compressed air works well for the underneath, and forcleaning the surface, I moisten a towel with water and message the grime off with the PowerBokk turned off.

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 02:21 AM

My Powerbook does not have the shine but, many of the other Powerbook's im business do. I happen to use a external keyboard about 90% of the time. Most of the other employee's use the powerbook keyboard 100% of the time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules