Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Recommend this mouse...

Recommend this mouse...
Stecchino
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2005, 05:01 PM

...can someone recommend a wireless, bluetooth mouse that doesn't need any kind of base station? Simply, I want a TRULY wireless mouse that comes with nothing else in the box except for the mouse and 2 batteries :-)

The Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer Platinum looks enticing but I'm looking for folks who are already using products they're happy with.

Thank you!

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 10:48 AM

What's wrong with the Logitech MX900? You can leave the base station in the box if you don't want its unsightly bulk cluttering up your work surface.

Stecchino  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by f1000
What's wrong with the Logitech MX900? You can leave the base station in the box if you don't want its unsightly bulk cluttering up your work surface.
Thanks for the tip. I've seen the Logitech MX900 but I didn't realize I didn't have to use the base station. In the mean time, however, I've learned of the The Mouse BT which is more along the lines of what I'm looking for. Every mouse has its pros and cons and to each of us different features are more important than others. The Mouse BT for me will do the trick, especially when they have the white ones back in stock again to match my iMac.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 12:25 AM

Well, I have now tried THREE different Bluetooth mice for Tiger with my iMac and so far THEY ALL SUCK.

Radtech Bluetake BT510:

Would not stay paired with the iMac, too lightweight, otherwise excellent design. This was a major disappointment because I was such a happy customer with their BT500 model with my Powerbook, but wanted a larger mouse for desktop use. Sent it back.

DV Forge "The Mouse BT":

Great LOOKING design, but button clicking action very poor, in fact, totally unusable. The left click button would stay clicked because of the one piece design. The scroll wheel did not click, so there was no precision there. Sent it back.

Kensington PocketMouse Mini:

Nice rubber sides for good grip, great overall feel and build quality, but crappy tracking and therefore highly annoying to use. Sent it back.

So I am left with the lamo Apple Mouse to try out. On second thought, I am just going to use my 4 year old trusty Logitech USB mouse....

This is a major bummer as I have spend alot to have a nearly totally wireless desktop.

I wonder if the Logitech Bluetooth mice are any good?

Hope my input helps you make a decision.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Stecchino  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2005, 09:58 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions, now I've been able to scour for reviews on various mice. I think I'll be trying the Bluetake BT 510 first and see how that goes.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Stecchino
Thanks for the tip. I've seen the Logitech MX900 but I didn't realize I didn't have to use the base station. In the mean time, however, I've learned of the The Mouse BT which is more along the lines of what I'm looking for. Every mouse has its pros and cons and to each of us different features are more important than others. The Mouse BT for me will do the trick, especially when they have the white ones back in stock again to match my iMac.
I just picked up a used MX900.

It won't work on my Bluetooth iMac G5 without having the base plugged into the USB port of the iMac.

How are you guys getting this mouse to work WITHOUT the base plugged in?

Thanks!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
I just picked up a used MX900.

It won't work on my Bluetooth iMac G5 without having the base plugged into the USB port of the iMac.

How are you guys getting this mouse to work WITHOUT the base plugged in?

Thanks!
Are you sure its the MX900 and not the nearly-identically looking MX700, which is a non-bluetooth RF mouse (thus requiring the base)?
Sorry if the question seems condescending, but AFAIK, the Logitech MX900 base wont work with the Mac as a bluetooth transceiver anyway (base would be strictly for charging the mouse's batteries).

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 10:41 PM

I haven't tried this personally, but what about the full-size Kensington BT Pilot mouse (not the mini one)?
http://www.btboutique.com/product_in...products_id=68

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Are you sure its the MX900 and not the nearly-identically looking MX700, which is a non-bluetooth RF mouse (thus requiring the base)?
Sorry if the question seems condescending, but AFAIK, the Logitech MX900 base wont work with the Mac as a bluetooth transceiver anyway (base would be strictly for charging the mouse's batteries).
Yep. It is a MX900 Bluetooth. It won't work unless the base is plugged into the iMac USB port. Which sucks. Part of the reason I got this mouse was based on the claims that I did not need to have it take up one of my USB ports. This is 20" iMac G5 with built-in BT.

What is great is that this mouse tracks properly and does not drop the BT connection and really feels great like most Logitech mice.

Does anybody know how to make this mouse work without the base?

Thanks!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Jens Peter
Senior User
Oct 8, 2005, 07:19 PM

Anyone tried the new Logitech V270 ? (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10916)

mduser63
Oct 8, 2005, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jens Peter
Anyone tried the new Logitech V270 ? (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10916)
I haven't tried the V270, but I have the non-bluetooth version of the same mouse. It's an OK mouse. Batteries last about a month to six weeks before needing a recharge (I use NiMH), tracking is pretty good. Don't much care for the clicking action, and it occasionally misses clicks. All in all though, it's a pretty good mouse, and I've thought about picking up the bluetooth version. I like my Mighty Mouse better, and would take a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse over a V270 any day.
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

mikeini
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
Yep. It is a MX900 Bluetooth. It won't work unless the base is plugged into the iMac USB port. Which sucks. Part of the reason I got this mouse was based on the claims that I did not need to have it take up one of my USB ports. This is 20" iMac G5 with built-in BT.

What is great is that this mouse tracks properly and does not drop the BT connection and really feels great like most Logitech mice.

Does anybody know how to make this mouse work without the base?

Thanks!

I SECOND THIS!!

anyone got a fix? I have a 12" pb with built-in bluetooth and it only works when the thing is plugged into my usb slot. It wont discover it either .. i cant seem to get it and to make matters more frustrating, i tested it on my buddies laptop and it worsk just fine without the base.. so i know the mouse does work .. i saw it for myself.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2005, 06:04 AM

Have you upgraded your internal Bluetooth firmware? There's an update that's at least a few months old - it doesn't show up in Software Update, but you can get it off the Apple website.

My firmware is up-to-date, and my MX900 works fine without the base. Even the extra buttons work fine.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 07:32 AM

Well, it finally worked for me. Just took about 10 times to try to pair it without the base plugged in (MX900). Had to have a regular USB mouse plugged in. Went to the BT Setup Assistant and just kept pressing the connect button on the bottom of the MX900.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 07:52 PM

I have this. It works great. It's on the heavy-ish side; nay, more stable than heavy. Grippies on the side are nice, much better feel than the Mouse BT (hate that thing).

Pairs fine, wheel-click, etc.

I like the look of the Bluetake white though. hrm.

Originally Posted by Cadaver
I haven't tried this personally, but what about the full-size Kensington BT Pilot mouse (not the mini one)?
http://www.btboutique.com/product_in...products_id=68

Jens Peter
Senior User
Oct 20, 2005, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
Have you upgraded your internal Bluetooth firmware? There's an update that's at least a few months old - it doesn't show up in Software Update, but you can get it off the Apple website.
What version is that ? I can only find a 1.5, but thats old...

mikeini
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 05:23 PM

i think the latest is 1.5 and i hae updated it. i will try setting it up with a mouse alreday connected in the bluetooth port. Its just frustrating .. but at least theres still hope!

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2005, 07:07 PM

This unit looks nice (coming soon):

http://www.macally.com/spec/bluetooth/btmouse.html

No experience with their products; they seem like they're in the mid-range in terms of quality, meaning companies and products either get raving reviews for most of their products and services, or the other end.

Looks like some nice features.

mikeini
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 04:17 AM

I FINALLY GOT THE DARN THING TO WORK!! turns out i just have to conenct it while searching for bluetooth devies.

but now i have no control over what buttons do what (side/top). its random how its set up .. i have the logitech center console in sys. pref but it doesnt find anything.. nto even when its connected thru usb.

any ideas. HELP PLEASE!

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2005, 11:08 PM

If you're going to use the hub, then use USBOverdrive to configure the buttons.
http://usboverdrive.com/

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2005, 11:52 PM

If you're after a simple two button + scroll wheel mouse, you might also want to look into this one: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10916

I don't have any personal experience with it, though.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

mikeini
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2005, 09:40 PM

there is a program i found called gamepad companion. it is tiger compatible and after spending some time to figure out how it is reading the buttons i was able to configure completely the mouse. i can provide a link or a google search should suffice.

thanks for the help guys.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2005, 10:07 PM

My recommendation is to, whatever you do, avoid The Mouse BT. I initially picked one up when I was looking for a bluetooth mouse but took it back the next day. Simply put, it feels and behaves like a very cheap bit of electronics. Quite flimsy and the clicking mechanism isn't very sensitive at all - I have had problems with tendinitis in the past and found that I had to press on the mouse so hard it actually agravated my tendons quite badly.

I have the MX900 and love it - and yes I use it without the basestation without any problems at all. I'll also second the recommendation about GamePad Companion - it works great to program the extra buttons.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
If you're after a simple two button + scroll wheel mouse, you might also want to look into this one: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10916

I don't have any personal experience with it, though.
When I get an iMac I think I'm gonna buy the white/silver version of that mouse. Looks good, all I want is 2 buttons and scroll wheel. I hate the mighty mouse.

Bonhomme7heures
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2006, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by mduser63
I haven't tried the V270, but I have the non-bluetooth version of the same mouse. It's an OK mouse. Batteries last about a month to six weeks before needing a recharge (I use NiMH), tracking is pretty good. Don't much care for the clicking action, and it occasionally misses clicks. All in all though, it's a pretty good mouse, and I've thought about picking up the bluetooth version. I like my Mighty Mouse better, and would take a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse over a V270 any day.
I bought the v270 a week ago. Not the best gadget I bought lately. There seems to be a problem with the bluetooth connection. There a sudden connection lost of a couple of seconds. Pretty annoying. I'm waiting to see what's going to happen on the Logitech Forum:

http://forums.logitech.com/pe/forums...ostID=10160139

I'll have to see if Logitech correct's the problem before recommanding the mouse. For those wondering, I'm running OSX 10.4.4.

ps: the problem just happen when I was previewing the post
------------
Black Macbook
2Gb RAM

Formely: 15" ALU powerbook 512mb RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules