Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > yet another request for buying advice

yet another request for buying advice
kalani79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 03:09 PM

Like many others, I wanted a 13" Macbook Pro. Now that the Macbook is out and it doesn't look like a 13" MBP will be out before mid-August, I am forced to decide between the 15" Macbook Pro and the 13" Macbook.

I'm torn between the two, as I always try to buy the best machine I can afford (MBP) so that it can last 4-5 years without feeling too slow, but I would really like the portability of a smaller notebook as I will be car-free and on my bike for the next two years in DC. I don't currently use terribly demanding programs, but I find myself dabbling in photography, video editing, and music recording/creating on my computer every now and then. I would like my new notebook to be able to do these things without struggling too hard in a few years as well.

Now, the MB would certainly fit my needs now and I would enjoy its portability. However, I'm worried it might struggle in a few years, and is really only .4 pounds lighter than the MBP. I would prefer a non-glossy screen, but this is certainly not a deal-breaker because I could adapt to either screen.

I would like to purchase (and receive) my new notebook before I move in mid-August because I don't want to worry about getting a new computer ready while also adapting from San Diego (all my life) to DC. Additionally, the current PC goes to my Mom and I would rather not have to ship it.

I am leaning more and more toward the MBP, but am searching for a little more feedback to help solidify my decision. Has anybody compared the size of the power adaptor of the MB and MBP? Is the MBP's significantly larger/heavier? What is your experience with the 15" MBP's portability? Specifically, are there any bicyclists that commute with a 15" MBP or Powerbook? What are your experiences?

Finally, if I go with the MBP, 100gb 7200 rpm or 120gb 5400 rpm? Pros? Cons? Any cons to mixing two gig sticks of RAM from different brands?

TIA

se12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 03:29 PM

Really the only way to tell if it will be portable enough for your own needs is to go check it out for yourself. At least that's what I am going to do. I myself am deciding on either the MB or 15inch MBP. But I think I will probably go with the 15inch. Just go check it out, see if you tihnk it will be protable enough.

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 05:40 PM

I am in the midst of deciding between those two too. And it is very difficult!
My choice, however, differs from yours, as I have to carry my laptop to university everyday. That means a busride, tranride and metroride everyday, which takes about 1.5 hours each way. So, for me, portability is also very important. As I am coming from a 12" PB, I have been spoiled by its size and weight compared to the MB and MBP.

I think that I will end up with a low-end 15" MBP, as the dedicated GPU may play a big role if you want to use it for at least 2-3 years (which is my case). I must add that I haven't seen the MB's yet, as they are not in the stores here until late coming week (I hope).
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 05:56 PM

I think you're using an outdated mindset. As Apple said, "Meet the family. Now complete." Obviously I could be proven wrong but it doesn't look like there will ever be a 13" MBP.

the MB as it stands is pretty "pro," anyway, except for the integrated graphics thing. Is that what bugs you about it?

kalani79  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 10:39 PM

I guess my language indicated otherwise, but I am of the belief that they will not release a 13" MBP. If for some reason I'm wrong and they do, it will be after I have already bought my computer.

JoeGuido
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 06:52 AM

I would suggest if possible to check the machines out for yourself, just a few minutes at the Apple Store could solidify your feelings. I was going to go with a MacBook, since I'm coming from a 12" PB, but my feelings changed when I physically compared it side-by-side with the 15" MBP.
First the MB wasn't as small as I thought it would be. The bezel is large, so it seems to be designed more around a 14.1" form factor. It was smaller and lighter, than the MBP but not enough for it to outweigh the performance difference for me.

I also found the higher resolution and widescreen format made the screen seem smaller than I was used to.
I did like the glossy screen, so ultimately I decided to buy a MBP online with glossy screen.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by servognome
I also found the higher resolution and widescreen format made the screen seem smaller than I was used to.
The MacBook has lower resolution than any of the MacBook Pro models, and of course all of Apple's portables are now widescreen. What you may be talking about is the screen's DPI, which is probably denser on the MacBook, making things look smaller.

kalani79  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2006, 12:27 AM

Now the final decision...

I'm going with the 15" MBP. Non-glossy screen. 2.16 ghz model. Stock RAM, will upgrade immediately.

Now, I don't do anything that necessitates the 7200 rpm drive, but I would like to get the best available at the moment. I occasionally do some audio-editing, but could probably get by with the 5400 drive.

If I get the computer through my sister-in-law at the USC bookstore, I can get the educational discount plus free applecare. However, she can only get me the stock model with the 5400 rpm drive.

On the other hand, Apple has their $100 rebate on printers currently, which I wouldn't be able to get through my sister. I do need a printer, just something simple to print papers, so $100 would pay for one. Also, I could get the upgraded drive.

Dollar-for-dollar it's cheaper through my sister, but I don't get the exact machine I want, and have to buy a printer.

What would you do in my shoes?

Forum Links
Forum Rules