Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > yahoo messenger

yahoo messenger
Artanis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2010, 03:45 PM

Does someone know how can I set yahoo messenger to be inaccessible for a user on a Mac running Tiger, or Leopard?

The issue is at my workplace where I don't want people to be able to use yahoo messenger application. The problem is like this: if I uninstall it from a user with admin privileges than the normal user can download it and mount the application and execute it. He doesn't need to drag it to the applications folder to use it.
Does someone know how can I stop this?

It would be nice if I could make yahoo messenger inaccessible for a admin account also, because some users have admin privileges cause they use final cut and stuff, but I don't want them to have yahoo messenger.

Thank you, your help is much appreciated.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2010, 04:13 PM

Block ports it uses in your organization's firewall?

Thorzdad
Jan 26, 2010, 05:06 PM

Yahoo Messenger accesses a number of ports for different services. 20, 21, 23, 25, 37, 80, 119, 5000, 5050, 5101, 8080, 9090. Obviously, some of these are used for specific functions other than login, though I have read that Yahoo will dynamically attempt to go through an open port, if it finds the default port blocked. I can't attest to the veracity of that claim, though.

Another strategy might be blocking the servers it attempts to contact. These are what I could find taking a quick peek inside the app package:

login.yahoo.com
httpcs113.msg.sp1.yahoo.com
httpvcs1.msg.yahoo.com
httpvcs2.msg.yahoo.com
scs1.msg.yahoo.com
scsa.msg.yahoo.com
vcs1.msg.yahoo.com
vcs2.msg.yahoo.com
address.yahoo.com
webcam.yahoo.com
relay.msg.yahoo.com
filetransfer.msg.yahoo.com

Just curious...Is it Yahoo in particular, or are you trying to block all IM traffic?

Artanis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Yahoo Messenger accesses a number of ports for different services. 20, 21, 23, 25, 37, 80, 119, 5000, 5050, 5101, 8080, 9090. Obviously, some of these are used for specific functions other than login, though I have read that Yahoo will dynamically attempt to go through an open port, if it finds the default port blocked. I can't attest to the veracity of that claim, though.

Another strategy might be blocking the servers it attempts to contact. These are what I could find taking a quick peek inside the app package:

login.yahoo.com
httpcs113.msg.sp1.yahoo.com
httpvcs1.msg.yahoo.com
httpvcs2.msg.yahoo.com
scs1.msg.yahoo.com
scsa.msg.yahoo.com
vcs1.msg.yahoo.com
vcs2.msg.yahoo.com
address.yahoo.com
webcam.yahoo.com
relay.msg.yahoo.com
filetransfer.msg.yahoo.com

Just curious...Is it Yahoo in particular, or are you trying to block all IM traffic?
Thank you, I will try this, I knew that trying to stop the application by closing ports was too difficult and usually doesn't completely work. This happens on Windows too, the application has to be banned, not the ports. Can u please tell me what application can I use to look inside the application? I want only to stop yahoo messenger, not other IMs.

Thorzdad
Jan 27, 2010, 07:53 AM

Right-click on an application and select "Show Package Contents"
After that, you can, for instance, right-click on a .plist file and select "Open With..." and choose Property List Editor. I wouldn't suggest actually editing the file unless you know what you're doing.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 10:08 AM

Don't forget, you'll probably have to block Adium as well. Not to mention, they can go to messenger.yahoo.com via web browser and be able to chat that way.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Thorzdad
Jan 27, 2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Don't forget, you'll probably have to block Adium as well. Not to mention, they can go to messenger.yahoo.com via web browser and be able to chat that way.
If he blocks the servers, that should probably take care of Adium.

Why are you blocking just Yahoo? Is this just an anti-Yahoo stance? Or is there something specific/nefarious about Yahoo Messenger that the other IM clients don't share?

Artanis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2010, 04:51 AM

yes, its the most used IM. I don't really care, my boss demanded it.

But now I have a real problem. The mac I am talking about has Tiger, not Leopard. The firewall menu is listed under "sharing" in System preferences. I can't configure it to block server adreses, only ports, and this is a big problem, because yahoo uses ports that are used by other applications like firefox. Does anyone know how can I configure the firewall to block access to those servers?

Thorzdad
Jan 28, 2010, 08:07 AM

You block the sites at your company server or router.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 10:38 AM

You'll also want to block meebo.com and orgoo.com, since both of those have in-browser chat capability.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules