Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Unable to install Classic on a Dual 1 ghz G4

Unable to install Classic on a Dual 1 ghz G4
n5tkn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 02:41 AM

I have a G4 Dual 1 Ghz with 1 gb Ram. I decided to wipe the HD and install X and 9 on seperate partitions.

However, the computer simply will *not* boot from the OS 9 CD. I have 3 of them and NONE of them will the system boot from. Zapped pram, nothing. System will boot from a X cd.

This system was previously running, could it have downloaded a firmware update to disable OS 9 booting already?

It better not have. Or Apple and I will have SERIOUS words.

Please help...

Thanks

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Dec 17, 2002, 02:43 AM

Get a grip, you have not installed a firmware that killed OS9 booting

Just use the OS9 CD that CAME WITH YOUR COMPUTER! God only knows where you are getting these 3 others.

"Hello, what have we here?

n5tkn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 02:53 AM

This G4 actually didn't come with an OS9 CD, it came with Restore disks. I do not want to use those, obviously. The others I've gotten with other computers, and one came when I bought the last version of OS 9, which I think was like 9, or 9.1?

Next idea?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2002, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by n5tkn:
one came when I bought the last version of OS 9, which I think was like 9, or 9.1?
Try 9.2.2.

electropura
Dec 17, 2002, 03:04 AM

why dont you want to use the software restore disks that came with your computer?

If you wiped the HD already, what's the problem with it?

n5tkn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 03:10 AM

I have a 9.2.1 CD, it doesn't work. No 9.2.2 CD....

I want to install 9 and X on seperate partitions. But even if I wanted to use the restore CD's, I can't. I'm getting a can't read restricted-segment something or other on the first Restore CD near the end. I have NO clue what that is, and google returns nothing. I can get an older 10.x CD out and install that with OS 9 I suppose (that cd is at work) but I don't believe I can install 9 on a seperat e partition that way. I've already done this on my G4 450 MHz machine, I know how to do it, but its not working on this G4. Very very very odd, I've actually got quite a bit of mac experience, 10 years on and off, never not been able to boot from a OS 9 cd before...

Would a 9.2.2 CD make the differnce? I don't even know where to find one.

?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Dec 17, 2002, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by n5tkn:
This G4 actually didn't come with an OS9 CD, it came with Restore disks. I do not want to use those, obviously. The others I've gotten with other computers, and one came when I bought the last version of OS 9, which I think was like 9, or 9.1?

Next idea?
Nope, lets stick to original idea. As you already wiped the drive I don't see why you can't use the restore disks. Also, if you look around the CD's you can find the seperate installers.

The reason those other OS9 disks you have will not boot is because your computer is newer then the CD and it doesn't understand the ROM.

So try again.

"Hello, what have we here?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2002, 04:42 AM

You can use the restore disks, they can let you just install OS9 without formatting your disk, and then you can drag all the folders onto your new partition... works fine for me. When I got my dual 867 my old OS9 disks didn't work either...

If your restore disks are giving you errors, you should call Apple.

n5tkn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 11:59 AM

I feel SOOOO stupid right now.

I've worked on macs for years, but it doesn't keep one from making dumba** mistakes. I went and found my restore disks for my new iMac, and low and behold there is an OS 9.2.2 CD in there. I popped it in the G4 and got it installed straight away. I thought that it was so silly for them not to include that in the G4's recovery disk set. I went and thumbed through said set again...and there it was. Sigh.

FYI, the recovery disks themselves, the restore set, didn't/doesn't work. But I didn't want them anyway.

THANKS GUYS.

(I'll go and write "I will look through the CD pack more than twice before posting" 3000 times on the blackboard now.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules