Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Icons are dissapearing

Icons are dissapearing
n5tkn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 12:46 AM

I've just spent a week redoing my G4 450 with seperatly partioned OS9 and OSX systems, customizing the look, etc, and now I have missing icons. Last night I was playing with Duality and changed my theme to the no lines version, Smoothlines. Tonite I came home and the computer had panicked while asleep, and I had that new "You need to restart your computer message" (It wasn't the first time.) I did and now I have missing icons everywhere. I restored the original aqua theme and thought that might do it, but no. Created a test user, and that user has the icons missing too. The main icon that is missing is the folder icon, but the application folder icon which is different is missing as well, so its not the plain folder that is missing. Preference icons are gone too. Its spreading to my dock now too for links to my apps, docs, folders, etc. No Application icons is missing...yet.

I thought the theme may have caused this but I don't see how now. I'vre fscked the drive as well.

Any ideas folks?

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2002, 08:37 AM

Sounds like a problem for sure. I would reinstall Jag over with the Archive and preserve user settings. It could be a permissions problem too, so run Disk Utility and repair them first.
Off-topic, you must be an amatuer radio operator with a user name like you have.
73s wa3ucs

n5tkn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 11:43 AM

Yeah I'm a ham alright. Good to see a fellow one on here, we tend to be tech types anyway so its not that suprising hi hi.

Could you be a bit more specific about what you want me to do on this machine?

Thanks!

jimsmac
Dec 17, 2002, 06:32 PM

Just repaired permissions and it fixed the problem for me.
James
eMac 1.25, iBook 600, Airport Extreme, iPod G4 20gb

n5tkn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2002, 12:55 AM

Repairing permissions did nothing. What was the other suggestion? I didn't understand... This frustrating, I really had this thing looking nice.

jparisi
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2002, 05:12 AM

Originally posted by n5tkn:
Repairing permissions did nothing. What was the other suggestion? I didn't understand... This frustrating, I really had this thing looking nice.
try this..
http://www.ifthensoft.com/
and download 'dragthing'

jimsmac
Dec 18, 2002, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by n5tkn:
Did you boot from your Jag CD and then repair the permissions from there? This is what I did.
James
eMac 1.25, iBook 600, Airport Extreme, iPod G4 20gb

n5tkn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2002, 12:06 AM

I ran repair perms from the CD and the same symptoms persist.

Anyone? Please?

SofaKing$
Feb 14, 2003, 01:03 AM

i'm having the same issues... Any new ideas? Dragster didn't seem to do it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules