Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iCal and iSync update

iCal and iSync update (Page 2)
Worst. Episode. Ever.
Senior User
Jan 2, 2003, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
in other words, don't blame Apple when removing a font "breaks" something.
I'm not blaming anyone. Just trying to help figure out what's at the root of the problem.

The reason I removed the "unnecessary" fonts is because I need to replace many of them with the Postscript versions of the fonts.

Worst. Episode. Ever.
Senior User
Jan 2, 2003, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by torifile:
It is a font issue. I can't remember which one you need to have for the calendar to show properly. I'm sure I read about the fix either here or in the AI forums. I'd search but searching sucks over there.
The application itself uses HelveticaNeue. iCal won't even launch without that font loaded. That I know. What I was guessing about is whether a particular font is needed to draw the month name on iCal's Dock icon.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2003, 07:19 PM

Did anyone get an iTunes calendar preloaded when they updated iCal? I did but I can't find anything information about it or anything special it does.

JB72
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2003, 07:26 PM

It syncs in the background every hour (or so). The application doesn't have to be open. Very cool.
As long as it doesn't need the update warning message. In which case it will open up the app. Very nifty feature the menu icon is. One less thing I need in my dock.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2003, 07:30 PM

You can now close the iCal 1.0.1 window without it quitting. Rejoice!

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
As long as it doesn't need the update warning message. In which case it will open up the app. Very nifty feature the menu icon is. One less thing I need in my dock.
Yes. I find this the grooviest. I set up my G4 this morning to update every hour, then my iBook. I went to work, made some changes on my iBook and they were sync'd before I left. I came home and within a few minutes my G4 was sync'd. Very nice.

I would like to see this made even more flexible to include 'Sync on login'.

kman

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2003, 07:34 PM

It is definitely not synching with my webmail address book.

kman

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by kman42:
It is definitely not synching with my webmail address book.

kman
Apple just posted the new stuff on their .Mac page. It now says that the Address Book syncing isn't coming until Jan. 7th...during the keynote perhaps. Maybe this means that more .Mac features will be introduced there as well.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

monospace
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2003, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by DoctorW:
Anyone else have this month name bug? I've had it since iCal was released, but never heard of it elsewhere. I get it on both my tower and my iBook:

Got the same thing here. Kind of a bummer, indeed.
http://www.monospace.com/
You are visitor number one.

Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2003, 09:56 PM

As someone states above, we get the Address Book Sync on the 7th Jan.

I also suspect there will be another BIG push for .Mac users. It has been very queit on .Mac for a while, very litlle new things. There was also a major outage today, that could have been caused by work in progress.

One big clue is on the .Mac page which mentions the 7th Jan Address Book sync feature. If you look at the picture of the .Mac screen it has a very different look to the current screen. It seems to have taken on the brushed metal look, webmail did not have this look before.

Lets hope they have improved .Mac and have a better 'sales' pitch for it this time.

tyson.r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2003, 09:57 PM

I see on Apple's web site they mention suport for sony palm devices in iSync. Anyone experience this?

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2003, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Parky:
If you look at the picture of the .Mac screen it has a very different look to the current screen. It seems to have taken on the brushed metal look, webmail did not have this look before.

Or maybe is a screen shot that was cut out of the new Apple Browser...iBrowse.

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2003, 10:39 PM

i just want to know why iCal still has the register button under the preferences. i'm worried

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2003, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by milenko11:
i just want to know why iCal still has the register button under the preferences. i'm worried
Yikes!! Me too. I hope they do not charging for the iApps. That will suck big time.

I tried to register and it want a part number and such. This does not look good.

xtal
Senior User
Jan 3, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by tyson.r:
I see on Apple's web site they mention suport for sony palm devices in iSync. Anyone experience this?
I've been synchronizing my Sony Clie PEG-S320 (about a year old) with the iSync beta for a while now. I've heard that some Clies have an issue with this. Try checking the ClieSource Clie-Mac forum (http://www.cliesource.com/forums/for...php?forumid=27)

-Nick

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by mbperk:
Yikes!! Me too. I hope they do not charging for the iApps. That will suck big time.

I tried to register and it want a part number and such. This does not look good.
iSync also has this option in the menu. None of the older iApps do. Is Apple really going to start charging for those, too? Even Microsoft gives away Windows Movie Maker, and XP has a built in photo manager. I don't see how Apple could do this without losing ALL potential switchers.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 11:13 AM

What they could do is make the iApps free for all the users that have a .mac account, although I have a mac account I really hope all iApps stay free...

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by kovacs:
What they could do is make the iApps free for all the users that have a .mac account, although I have a mac account I really hope all iApps stay free...
Considering other threads about registering iSync etc. one would believe they melt these apps into one app, where they work all together like Entourage / Outlook.

Wait, that's callled OS X

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2003, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Appleman:
No just say JAN. Check country?
Everything is set to U.S.

Today, it's working on my iBook. (I haven't tested it on the tower yet.) It probably is a font issue, but I haven't had the opportunity to play around with it yet.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2003, 02:32 PM

Did anyone mention or notice that window position is now saved? Weeeee!

(i'm too lazy to look back over the thread)

wreising
Jan 3, 2003, 03:55 PM

Will catagories from iCal transfer over to a Palm yet?
A beautiful woman who is not a fool is a dangerous thing.
- Nero Wolfe

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2003, 04:17 PM

My Cli� PEG-SL10/E syncs fine with the new version of iSync with nothing extra. I had to reset the addresses and datebook though due to a small duplication problem in my iCal. (the unfiled calendar had all the other calendar's dates in it too.

Does everyone get a Palm Tungsten|T on the toolbar for the palm section. There is still the files for the different models but they don't seem to show. I really should get a Cli� picture there even although the pic supplied is a NR series with a camera.

No categories transfer yet but you can specify which calendar the Palm entries get deposited in. I have named a Calendar "Cli� Entries" to make it easier.
David.

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2003, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Worst. Episode. Ever.:
The application itself uses HelveticaNeue. iCal won't even launch without that font loaded. That I know. What I was guessing about is whether a particular font is needed to draw the month name on iCal's Dock icon.
I just tracked it down: it happens when a third-party version of Helvetica Neue is loaded, even if the version in the system remains untouched.

coconut
Jan 4, 2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by wreising:
Will catagories from iCal transfer over to a Palm yet?
Does anybody know? This is the main reason why I can't use iCal. If this is fixed, I would give it a try...
General Surgery Resident @ Université de Montréal
Former Apple Campus Marketing Rep

robotmarkVIII
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2003, 08:40 PM

apparently ical's been updated again to 1.0.2...

i haven't tried to see what was fixed

mjarski15
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2003, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by robotmarkVIII:
apparently ical's been updated again to 1.0.2...

i haven't tried to see what was fixed
Nice catch. On apple's homepage under the pict of iCal it does say 1.0.2 but if you go to download it, it still says 1.0.1 and the download version is 1.0.1. Looks like someone forgot to edit the webpage
20", 2gigs ram, 500gig HD, 2.16ghz core 2 duo iMac
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

tmikkelsen
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2003, 09:18 PM

When I try to install the iCal update, it locks up while "Preparing iCal" stage. This is with iCal 1.0.1 and the new 1.0.2. Anyone else have this problem?
Thomas
--
49,000 Units and counting...

blog.noetech.com

mjarski15
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2003, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by mjarski15:
Nice catch. On apple's homepage under the pict of iCal it does say 1.0.2 but if you go to download it, it still says 1.0.1 and the download version is 1.0.1. Looks like someone forgot to edit the webpage
...or someone forgot to refresh his browser.
20", 2gigs ram, 500gig HD, 2.16ghz core 2 duo iMac
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

Forum Links
Forum Rules