Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Power Mac 7600/132 - 2 questions

Power Mac 7600/132 - 2 questions
n5tkn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 03:39 PM

I've got a Powermac 7600/132 that I'm reconditioning for my uncle. I've just put OS 9.1 on it, but my 9.2.1 CD doesn't want to install. Can this mac not handle 9.2? Also it needs a modem. Can I get a recommendation as to a good one that will work internally, natively? I'd like to keep the number of outside peripherals down for him, but if an external works better, I'll go with that too.

Thanks!!

kaz7777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 04:00 PM

Hello,

You know, I have a 8600 (juke box) and it wouldn't let me install 9.2 euither. I think they are just too old. Are you getting a error message and an installer quit, or is it simply saying that it cannot install on that machine? If its the former your disk may be bad as My 9.2 disk went bad for some reason; just download the 9.2 update from apple. If its the latter, then I think its self-explanatory.

Good luck

jdbon
Jan 22, 2003, 09:30 PM

9.2 is only compatible with OS X compatible machines G3+. Personally II would put 8.6 on such a machine.

n5tkn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2003, 01:34 AM

Okay. Why 8.6? And second no one has mentioned the modem question. Thats my higher priority. Anyone?

--

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2003, 03:03 PM

8.6 would be better simply because it would run faster on this mac (unless of course you need OS 9 for features or compatibility). As for the modem you cannot get an internal one, you should go for a 56k external serial one, preferably made by US Robotics or something of similar quality.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 24, 2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by n5tkn:
Can I get a recommendation as to a good one that will work internally, natively? I'd like to keep the number of outside peripherals down for him, but if an external works better, I'll go with that too.

Thanks!!
If you do need an external modem, do not go to the store to buy one. I've got one that I want to sell. It's a US Robotics modem, good quality. Email me if you would like to buy it.

/shameless plug
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2003, 11:24 PM

My 8600 runs 8.6 and I am totally happy with it. There are few things that I need that require 9, and 8.6 is just far less bloated. Especially if you don't have a lot of RAM in the machine 8.6 is just a better choice. And as far as the modem is concerned, US Robotics is a good choice. The only thing you really have to be concerned about is whether or not the modem has a Mac style (din 8) serial cable. I'd sell you my 33.6 if you'd like.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules