Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Xserve home shares no longer available after going to 10.3

Xserve home shares no longer available after going to 10.3
n5tkn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 01:10 PM

My network users who log in authenticating with netinfo from my Xserve running 10.2.8 and who have home directories autmounted from the server cannot log in anymore after going to 10.3 on the client. I get a message the the AFP or SMB share where the home direcotry resides is unavailabe and the user cannot log in. (It bounces them back out)

What did I do?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by n5tkn:
My network users who log in authenticating with netinfo from my Xserve running 10.2.8 and who have home directories autmounted from the server cannot log in anymore after going to 10.3 on the client. I get a message the the AFP or SMB share where the home direcotry resides is unavailabe and the user cannot log in. (It bounces them back out)

What did I do?
Is the server contactable? Can you ping it?

Did you migrate from NetInfo to Open Directory? If so, try re-entering/changing a password, and see if that fixes it. Sometimes the passwords don't survive the "migration" -- especially if you were using basic passwords.

n5tkn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 01:17 PM

No I didn't migrate at all. I just upgraded a client to 10.3. Rebooted, autologin is set for the network user, it gived the error, okaying bounces it to a login screen. I just use Netinfo.

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 04:37 PM

A point to start troubleshooting would be that Apple changed the default password system to a shadow-password style system. This allows for passwords longer than 8 characters (before it would ignore the rest). The default is to not switch users over to the new system until they change their password. But you could be running headlong into this new system.

It is not a solution.. but should provide a point to start from.

n5tkn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by larkost:
A point to start troubleshooting would be that Apple changed the default password system to a shadow-password style system. This allows for passwords longer than 8 characters (before it would ignore the rest). The default is to not switch users over to the new system until they change their password. But you could be running headlong into this new system.

It is not a solution.. but should provide a point to start from.
If I turn home directory off for the user in Server 10.2.8, they (client 10.3) log in fine. For some reason, it can't see the home directory, although I can reach all shares fine once I log in. This makes no sense. It says an error has occured, this user cannot log in at this time, the home folder is on a SMB or AFP share (thats approximately the wording, very close). I mean, it's the client 10.3 that must be causing this, the server hasn't changed. Authentication is fine. Panther just won't see the share at login. Sucks too, since the custom desktop doesn't come up without it, I of course get the generic one instead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules