Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is Quartz 2D Extreme enabled yet?

Is Quartz 2D Extreme enabled yet?
Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2006, 01:14 AM

I was wondering if OS X 10.4.7 comes with Quartz 2D Extreme enabled yet or not?

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2006, 01:21 AM

Not as far as I know. I'm crossing my fingers for 10.5 to fix the graphics driver bugs that messed it up.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2006, 09:57 AM

I'm guessing Apple wouldn't enable it in a X.X.1 upgrade. They would save it for a X.1 upgrade... so we will see in Leopard.

Moose
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
so we will see in Leopard.
I think you misspelled "might."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2006, 12:43 AM

The speedup is not as noticeable in general as you might hope, either, in my experience.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2006, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Moose
I think you misspelled "might."
Ha ha... that's right... you haven't seen the feature list of Leopard.

Moose
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 01:30 AM

Short of reading rumor sites, neither have you.

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2006, 03:44 AM

So you guys have a link to these "features"?

Ilgaz
Jul 19, 2006, 09:03 AM

I don't think anyone will dare to "paste" anything from Leopard to web. If you see stuff, either they are fake or the guy posted them is in jail I mean we are speaking about yet-to-be-announced major OS update here. It is not like some developers leaking OS X 10.4.7 update as favour to people who got effected by those bugs, it is 10.5. A major OS version designed to compete Microsoft OS.

I bet Adobe like companies already have "alpha" versions but they test it in highly secure environments.

Look what Apple displays to a ordinary,free developer connection member about not-so-confidential pre-release Java

"Pre–release software is Apple confidential information. Your unauthorized distribution of pre–release software or disclosure of information relating to pre–release software (including the posting of screen shots) may subject you to both civil and criminal liability and result in immediate termination of your ADC Membership."

Now imagine the papers they give to real select companies,members for Leopard

There is even a great joke program coded because of these "mock" screenshots, leopard about box , check
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30318

In fact, lets install XP Shapeshifter (Was it Max Themes?) theme with it and joke around a bit

Moose
Senior User
Jul 19, 2006, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ilgaz
It is not like some developers leaking OS X 10.4.7 update as favour to people who got effected by those bugs, it is 10.5. A major OS version designed to compete Microsoft OS.
Yeah.

And since it's being previewed at WWDC along with a likely seed to attendees, it probably will have leaked by the end of August 7, which will bring all the retards back here to post about how it doesn't work on their system and OH MY GOD HOW DO I GET MY DATA BACK?

Maybe GNAA has another surprise in store for us!

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 03:05 PM

Yeah.

And since it's being previewed at WWDC along with a likely seed to attendees, it probably will have leaked by the end of August 7, which will bring all the retards back here to post about how it doesn't work on their system and OH MY GOD HOW DO I GET MY DATA BACK?

I will be laughing my ass off at these people as I try my (legal!) copy on its own dedicated partition after backing up my stuff.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 03:06 PM

Short of reading rumor sites, neither have you.
Apparently you don't know who I work for...

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 19, 2006, 03:09 PM

Microsoft.

"Hello, what have we here?

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Microsoft.
I'm under an NDA.

Moose
Senior User
Jul 19, 2006, 03:16 PM

They would save it for a X.1 upgrade... so we will see in Leopard.
I'm under an NDA.
Not one you take seriously, apparently.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2006, 03:24 PM

I can neither confirm nor deny that I know who you work for.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Ilgaz
Jul 20, 2006, 07:59 AM

Yeah.

Devils Advocate here... It is not very different from so called "Professional Reviewers" trying a Vista BETA on a some obscure laptop and bitch about it in their "blogs" as it didn't identify their even-more-obscrure accessory.

E.g. CNET.

While speaking about leaks, do you think anyone would fall to this thing I did in 10 secs with that joke program and XP theme?

http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?i...aketestpy5.png

I am afraid there would be...

Moose
Senior User
Jul 20, 2006, 09:05 AM

It is not very different from so called "Professional Reviewers" trying a Vista BETA on a some obscure laptop and bitch about it in their "blogs" as it didn't identify their even-more-obscrure accessory.
It isn't, but it is.

cnet.news.com.com.com.com.com.com got Vista legitimately and had to read (or at least click through) a couple of pages of legalese that clearly state: VISTA IS PRERELEASE AND WILL GIVE YOU HEMORRHOIDS, CANCER, AND MAYBE EVEN TUBERCULOSIS BEFORE EATING ALL OF YOUR DATA AND TURNING IT INTO A QUICHE. Microsoft released it essentially as a public beta to get people "excited" about it after weighing the risk against the potential reward, the same as they've done for every major product since forever.

Apple's only had a public beta of Mac OS X once--although some people still consider Cheetah to have been Public Beta 2--and I'm still convinced that was mostly to prove that they could ship something. Apple did not decide to make Leopard downloadable by just anyone, because Leopard will not be ready for human consumption at WWDC. If it were, WWDC would be a release party. Even then, the Ric Ford crowd would be complaining about it like they do with all 10.x.0 releases.

When Hotline Q. Carracho abrogates his NDA to start seeding a torrent for Leopard, he overrides a decision Apple made and makes Leopard available to people who might not understand the risks involved.

If you do understand the risks involved, I'm not sure why you don't just pay the $500 for a Select membership to get the seeds legitimately (as well as hardware discounts which are easily over $500 on high-end hardware). That's the price Apple has set, and you have no inherent right to Leopard seeds at any price other than the one Apple dictates.

Ilgaz
Jul 20, 2006, 09:18 AM

I heard OS X is amazingly buggy, impossible to ship and Apple will crash soon back in 2001 or 2002. I had that in my mind and postponed my Apple decision months. I could actually boot into OS 9 instead of OS X if my system wasn't G5 1600.

Guess the reason? Public Beta! I remember reading "reviews" of it on Usenet.

Now they are distributing to big IT media which tries to compete with digg.com or some personal blogs by going down to their level. Of course they deserve those bad and clueless reviews.

Glad Apple doesn't make same mistake anymore.

I am actually speechless about people who dare to download a disk image binary of an unreleased OS from a third party source. There is actually NO LIMIT of the harm and its consequences.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2006, 05:55 PM

I heard OS X is amazingly buggy, impossible to ship and Apple will crash soon back in 2001 or 2002. I had that in my mind and postponed my Apple decision months. I could actually boot into OS 9 instead of OS X if my system wasn't G5 1600.

Guess the reason? Public Beta! I remember reading "reviews" of it on Usenet.
In fairness, Apple kind of needed to make some sort of generally available release at that point in time. Perhaps their only mistake was to call 10.0 "10.0" and not "Public Beta 2", but again they kind of had to have something "final" shipping for political reasons.

P
Jul 22, 2006, 01:47 PM

The release notes for 10.4.3 indicate that Quartz 2D Extreme will not be enabled in a point upgrade - presumably because something rather major needs fixing and Apple won't do it for a feature that they didn't advertise for Tiger. It may also be that the fixing of that bug will change OS behaviour in some major way (such as modifying the kernel in some way that will break common kernel extensions, or require new drivers, or break Quicktime, or... anything is possible here). One way to interpret it is that the changes requried for making Q2DE work will break old graphics drivers, so that older machines will no longer be supported. Feel free to speculate.

Anyway: Q2DE is a likely Leopard feature but nothing is certain until the discs ship, and don't count on it in 10.4 even if it goes to 10.4.27.

Ilgaz
Jul 22, 2006, 07:45 PM

When I heard about colour correction problems and even wrong white point problems when Quartz 2D enabled, I easily predicted that Apple will not only disable it, it will also make it impossible to enable by hack too.

Apple has a huge prestige and usage in DTP/Pro Video you know. Those people may go nuts if colours are wrong. I mean in such industries, 254 255 255 and 255 255 255 (RGB) has a difference.

I don't think they will even try enabling it until making completely sure that it doesn't create problems in their main industry.

Kernel is a bigger problem of course. How can you recover from a crashing Graphics subsystem?

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2006, 02:23 AM

Well I would imagine those issues are to be resolved at the hardware level in graphics cards (color being the biggest of those). Which means you need good drivers. nVidia now handles video playback much better in hardware than ATI does... due directly to hardware differences in the gpu.

q2e It can't be too broke though.. I mean you can enable it now in 10.4.7.

Forum Links
Forum Rules