Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto: How to manage photos on notebook?

iPhoto: How to manage photos on notebook?
mini.boss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2006, 05:26 PM

I'm new to macs and have an annoying problem. How are you supposed to manage a large database of photos on a laptop? Anyone have any tips?

What Im doing now is that I have 2006 photos on my macbook but my library of older photos I keep on an external drive at home. All the photos show up fine when the drive is hooked up but when i'm on the road and open iPhoto (without the external drive) then it just freezes when it says something like "Cannot find "xxxx" photo". The only way out is to forcequit.

I'm loving my switch to mac but for dopes like me then using Picasa on pc is so much easier. It knows when you added new files to folders, it doesnt make duplicates (or triplicates sometimes) of files to put in some weird external library and deleting bad photos is a snap. I hope they make a mac version because, blame it on my PC past, so far learning to use iPhoto has been a nightmare.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 08:02 PM

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 08:03 PM

mini.boss  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2006, 01:55 PM

Yeah, i tried the libraries thing and while it is a workaround, it still isn't a real solution because the "multiple copies of the same photo" thing screws it up. If I create a library called "External Drive" to hole my 95-05 pictures then i can open that when attached, BUT then my 2006 pictures aren't there so I have to keep going back and forth between libraries. Yes, I know i can add my 2006 pics into my "External Drive" library but then those original complaints come back. Now there's a 2nd cached copy of the exact same 06 pictures and any editing done in one library WILL NOT be seen in the other one.

I hope people understand I'm not trying to be a jerk about iPhoto. I just dont understand why I have to waste 2GB of precious notebook space cache-ing my entire library only to have the "missing" photos crash the program. Whats the cache for if it isn't to be placeholders for files?

jasong
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 03:58 PM

You're not being a jerk, iPhoto desperately needs offline photo management features. I suspect that iPhoto '07 will fix this (I am basing this on Aperture having offline photo features and nothing else though.), but until such a time, there is no good solution. I would love to move my 8 MP wedding photos onto an external drive, and just have iPhoto keep 72 DPI copies locally so I can look while on the road, while having full access to the originals when at home so I could print if I wanted.
-- Jason

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 10:34 PM

Yeah, you're totally not being a jerk! Sorry my solutions didn't work for you, I agree that iPhoto looks broken on this one. The same is true of iTunes - I want to have my massive archive of all music I own that is on an external drive show up when I have my laptop 'docked', and the favorites that I take on the road accessable all the time. No easy way to do it. WTF? I hope it is getting fixed in Leopard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules