Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 8 Core Mac Pros Arrive

8 Core Mac Pros Arrive
davidflas
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2007, 08:41 AM

As an $1500 option, no other changes
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

SamGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 08:49 AM

I got online right at 7:30 and found this out. Posted it at MacLife Forums.. but couldn't remember my password here. had to reset it.. only to find that you've posted it.
I fail.

Oh well.

It's about time.

blicked
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 08:49 AM

Wow.. Imagine that- It's priced as an option that only someone that really truly NEEDS the extra power could justify.

I for one am still feeling pretty damn happy with my mundane 4 Core 2.66Ghz Mac Pro. 8 )

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 4, 2007, 08:55 AM

CTO, 3GHZ, starting at $4k. And Mac prices are officially back in the stratosphere. Ships in 3-5 days.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 09:00 AM

Strange update.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2007, 09:12 AM

Also new prices on the Cinema Displays. Odd though that the 8 core is an extra option above the 3GHz, I thought they might have moved up to 4 x 2.66GHz, 4 x 3.0GHz and 8 x 3.0GHz range and dropped the 2GHz, or done something else to the range.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

arng1
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2007, 09:22 AM

I thought Apple would hold off on this for a lttle longer and maybe change the look of the mac pro as well. Ive been reading alot of rumors that the pros were gonna get a redesign soon, guess only half was true. Cool upgrade though, my 2.66ghz quad will just have to do for now (sigh).....lol J/K, I love my MP

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 09:28 AM

Yeah, I also would have thought they would have added a 2.66 GHz octo option. Mind you, if you're gonna go 8 then you may as well go for the top-of-the-line. 24 GHz!

It's lame that the Cinema Displays still don't have HDCP support. It's also odd they haven't added a Blu-ray or HD DVD option yet.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 4, 2007 at 09:37 AM. )

doublep
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2007, 09:34 AM

What shall it be called ? The Mactopus?
PowerMac G5 2,3Ghz double processor
4 Go RAM; X800XT video card; Raptor boot drive

sahara
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2007, 09:34 AM

Well this is really lame. Here I am waiting so long for the refreshed Mac Pro line before I upgrade this old Quicksilver, only to find out I could have bought a 2.66ghz Mac Pro at any time.
- Sahara

SamGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 09:35 AM

24GHz?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2007, 09:36 AM

I can't understand why you would get the 8 core Mac Pro when most programs can't even take advantage of 4 cores.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by SamGuy View Post
24GHz?
Doh. Yeah. I guess I fail basic math today.

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I can't understand why you would get the 8 core Mac Pro when most programs can't even take advantage of 4 cores.
If you can't understand why you need 8 cores, then you don't need 8 cores.

Hint:

1) Some programs can take advantage of 8 cores.
2) Many people run more than one program at a time.

P.S. A recent H.264 video encode of mine took over 3 days on a dual-core Core 2 Duo iMac, maxing out both cores.
And I just do this for fun...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 09:54 AM

Man, I was hoping the octos would knock the quads down a bit in price. No such luck!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2007, 10:05 AM

I'm surprised they're shipping it in 3-5 days although Intel hasn't launched the 3.0 GHz Clovertown yet.

There has been some talk about an alleged Xeon X5365 (the 3 GHz Clovertown), but if you search intel.com for that string you'll find nothing.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Apr 4, 2007, 10:13 AM

24GHz?
Real world performance maxing out all 8 cores will be equivalent to an hypothetical single core 11-14Ghz processor. That is not bad considering in 1999 Intel predicted a 10Ghz CPU in 2010.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Apr 4, 2007, 10:15 AM

Most 3D, animation and compositing apps allow you to set how many threads are used for rendering. Lightwave offers 8 threaded rendering. modo offers 16 threads for wickedly fast high quality ray-tracing.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2007, 10:35 AM

I'll add that I too am disappointed that there is no change in pricing for the older mac pros and am baffled that there isn't an octo option for the slower cores.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I'm surprised they're shipping it in 3-5 days although Intel hasn't launched the 3.0 GHz Clovertown yet.
Interesting, good point.

There has been some talk about an alleged Xeon X5365 (the 3 GHz Clovertown), but if you search intel.com for that string you'll find nothing.
The 3.0 GHz Clovertown was already publicly announced by Intel a while back, although I thought it was supposed to come later. I just checked the Dell website and I do not see it there either.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2007, 10:42 AM

Jeepers...!

But, if you've got the bucks, I guess why not.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2007, 10:46 AM

Sorry Apple, but I gotta give this one a big "Meh..."

Yeah, the 8 core setup is nice, but the entire rest of the line is starting to feel very dated, especially in terms of video cards (yay- I can choose from a totally anemic 7300GT which has no place in a high end machine, a year-old X1900 XT, or a year-old FX-4500).

Heck, even with the 8-core, you are still limited to 16GB of RAM. I can think of many cases where if I am fully utilizing 8 cores, 4GB of RAM per core would come in handy.

Two things are becoming apparent in my mind when it comes to apple:
1) Their focus is 99% on consumers- iPod, iPhone, iMac. High end workstations are definitely not a priority.
2) Hardware wise, if they keep playing the game like they did with Motorola (i.e.- tiny speed bumps every 12 months), they are going to have trouble justifying their hardware costs. On a desktop machine 2 things rule- processors and video cards. Offering year+ old video cards at the prices they want is just not good. I understand the issues involved with video cards on these machines, and that you cant just slap in a PC vid card, but c'mon Apple- you gotta start working with, nudging, pushing your vendors into helping out a bit. Get SLI working, offer an X1950XT or even (GASP) a NV 8800 line card, and if you are going to charge high end prices for your video cards, at least give us a high end card that is using recent technology.

I also understand that Apple has a business to run, and right now the iPod seems to be their bread and butter. But from a higher end user/consumer, it is just starting to feel a bit frustrating.

Sorry for the rant- just a bit frustrated: APPLE- are you listening? I WANT TO GIVE YOU MY MONEY. MAKE IT WORTH MY WHILE.

dantewaters
Apr 4, 2007, 11:00 AM

Yea the wait wasn't worth it (at least for me)

I seems it would be best to get a refurbished 2.66 with the ati 1900
rather than buying a brand new one, save some dollars.

Then later on in the year get a octo setup.
2 computers beat one any day.

Man they need to work on their high end setups.

G5man
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2007, 11:14 AM

They need to drop the price for 2.66 to around 2100 or so. Also add some graphics card updates, if they just have to work on mac specific drivers, might as well just offer those for extra to use any windows standard PCIe card and just get mac drivers. Then, we could all keep up to date with the PC world.

Besides, 8 cores can't be fully utilized by software yet in the gaming world.
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by G5man View Post
And your point is?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The 3.0 GHz Clovertown was already publicly announced by Intel a while back
No, actually Intel has never mentioned the 3.0GHz Clovertown officially. Here's the search result for X5365 on intel.com. It returns nothing. Quite in contrast to a search for the existing X5355.

Here's Intel's official 5300 series web page. Not a single mention of a 3 GHz Clovertown.

There was however a DailyTech.com article about the X5365 three weeks ago. They claim it will be released July 2007.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2007, 11:30 AM

So what? Who's more likely to spend $5k on a workstation: gamers or scientist computing people? The latter. And it's also the latter who know perfectly well what to do with 8 cores.
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 4, 2007 at 11:54 AM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
No, actually Intel has never mentioned the 3.0GHz Clovertown officially. Here's the search result for X5365 on intel.com. It returns nothing. Quite in contrast to a search for the existing X5355.

Here's Intel's official 5300 series web page. Not a single mention of a 3 GHz Clovertown.

There was however a DailyTech.com article about the X5365 three weeks ago. They claim it will be released July 2007.
I guess to be more accurate:

Intel did mention a 3 GHz Clovertown, but it wasn't a formal press release. It was during a conference call with analysts, back in Feb. Intel said they would release the 3 GHz part, but I don't think they gave an actual X53x5 name to it (back then), and it was only a verbal announcement.

BTW, I believe they said it was supposed to be a Q3 release, but I had thought they meant calendar Q3.

SamGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 11:48 AM

so lets get this straight. is apple Early or Late with 8 cores?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2007, 11:50 AM

BTW, I believe they said it was supposed to be a Q3 release, but I had thought they meant calendar Q3.
Well either it's financial Q3 (but still no Intel press release yet) or Intel is indeed doing a July intro and is just giving Apple (their new buddy) a head start.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2007, 11:52 AM

so lets get this straight. is apple Early or Late with 8 cores?
They are late with eight [now that sounds stupid!], but early with eight cores at 3 GHz. Currently the fastest eight core Clovertown you could buy is the 2.66 GHz X5355. Obviously Apple is using a Clovertown that Intel hasn't officially released yet.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2007, 11:55 AM

It appears to me that there is one small update to the other machines, the bottom drive is a 250GB unit.
( Last edited by schalliol; Apr 4, 2007 at 01:20 PM. Reason: correct error)
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2007, 12:17 PM

It'll last the next 3 years as Intel increases the number of cores from 8 to 16 to xx... Let's face it, Intel is now in the CPU cores race. Software in the next year will be taking advantage of 4 or more cores.

I was also disappointed by this update. I expected at least a new higher-end graphics card. Man, the Mac graphics card market seems to be losing steam...
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2007, 12:19 PM

Why are people surprised? They did this before, make the highest margin on this, they are not going to give 8-cores away like most PC companies would. There will likely be a full line of 8 core Mac Pros when the new Tower design is announced. This may just be a kuldge to get 8 core in, there might be a new motherboard design in the works in tandem with a new Tower to make the 8 core line more modern and up to date.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2007, 12:24 PM

Time for the obligatory Dell comparison:

Apple: $3997
Dell: $4695

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Time for the obligatory Dell comparison:

Apple: $3997
Dell: $4695
Uh, specs?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2007, 01:02 PM

Gaming world? Why would anyone want to buy a quad core machine to play games.
Michael

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Apr 4, 2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
Gaming world? Why would anyone want to buy a quad core machine to play games.
The PS3 has seven cores and runs Yellow Dog Linux, Blu-ray movies and games

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2007, 03:07 PM

Is this a US-only release? I don't see them in the UK store...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2007, 03:15 PM

For sake of conversation, what could you use today that would take advantage of 8 cores? What environment are people who buy 8 core machines using them in?

Video editing? Rendering?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 03:32 PM

Uh, specs?
I configured a Dell Precision Workstation 490 MiniTower with Vista. The only changes I made were getting rid of the monitor (since that doesn't come with a Mac Pro) and putting two quad Xeons in (though they don't seem to have the 3 GHz ones). That leaves the Dell with a smaller hard drive, but otherwise pretty much equivalent as far as I could see. The price? $4,972. An equivalent Mac Pro is $1000 cheaper.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CIA
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2007, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
For sake of conversation, what could you use today that would take advantage of 8 cores? What environment are people who buy 8 core machines using them in?

Video editing? Rendering?
Yes, Video editing, and rendering of Video. Also scientific apps.
I've complained about this is other threads, but the people who buy these machines need power. I agree that the video card issue is a little outlandish, but Apple has always had lackluster offering in that department. I think this is a solid update, I mean, they are ahead of everyone with this new CPU that isn't available to the general public yet, give them a little credit there.
I think the quiet introduction of this speaks volumes about what is coming down the pipeline.
New case, new motherboard, oct machines across the pro line, (with maybe one token quad at the low end). Then they will make a big splash. They will tout all these new features, and how Leopard will take advantage of them etc. I mean based on reports they could have release an 8 core machine late last year but they held out. At that time I think a 8 core machine would just have confused consumers.. 8 cores at 2.66 or 4 at 3.0? This update provides a clear Good, Better, Best line. The pimped machines always cost waaaaaay more then the stock ones. What did you expect?
When the full blown redesign of the mac pro happens, I'll expect the doors to blow off. This just a bump to a proven line of machines.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 03:49 PM

Ahhh yes, the octo-core. One final hail mary before they go bankrupt.

Me buy. Soon. Sweet.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2007, 03:50 PM

So, why not call it an octo-core?
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2007, 03:55 PM

It's a Man thing. More power. We'll put a V8 in that thing one way or another. Har Har Har

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2007, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by doublep View Post
What shall it be called ? The Mactopus?
Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
I like the term V8 Power.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2007, 03:57 PM

Whats the v stand for?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
I like the term V8 Power.
That's settled then. The octo-core Mac Pro will henceforth be know as the "V8". Two banks of four cores. Makes sense.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2007, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
I was thinking that, too. Although, Octa-Core, to be completely correct (octa meaning to have eight of something). It seems bad grammar to switch from the idom quad, to 8 or eight. It should either be quad and octa, or four and eight.

Anyway, I should be getting back to my work.

onlyone-jc.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Whats the v stand for?
It's the type of engine it is, a V-Engine. It comes from the way the pistons are aligned along the line-of-sight of the crank-shaft. It looks like a V, funnily enough! heh.

onlyone-jc.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2007, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Whats the v stand for?
Have you ever watched Home Improvement? You know with Tim Taylor (Alen), always trying to beef up anything with wheels.

Tim put a V8 in the new Mac Pro.

Forum Links
Forum Rules