Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Frozen Blue Screen-TIGER

Frozen Blue Screen-TIGER
pcalvert23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2008, 10:53 AM

So my MacBook (Running 10.4.11) is freezing at the grey and blue screens the story goes as follows;

1- I turned off my computer (Using shutdown not actually just pressing the button) and realized I actually wanted to do one more thing on it
2- I turned it back on and it took about 5 minutes to load past the grey then blue screen finally bringing up my wallpaper and but with nothing else. I.e. no dock or any icons. At this point I manually shut if off and turned it back on
3- Now whenever I try to turn it back on it takes about 4-5 minutes to load past the grey screen then gets stuck at the blue screen.

I have NOT installed any new software

Any ideas as to why this is happening or how it can be fixed?

vwgtiturbo
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2008, 11:29 AM

Sometimes, my laptop would do this with Tiger and Leopard. Not very often, but it does happen. Normally, I would follow a three step process, and everything works great afterwards:

1. Download Onyx and run it's automated maintenance tasks
2. Shutdown. Remove battery. Press and hold power button (they say for 10 seconds, but I do it for 30 just to make sure no caps have any residual charge).
3. Upon next boot, hold down Command-Option-P-R until you hear the 'gong' twice, then let the machine boot. This first boot will be a little slow, BUT the next boots will be back to normal.
Black 13" Widescreen MacBook
2.0Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard

pcalvert23  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2008, 11:57 AM

Can I do it without DLing that program? I cant even get to desktop bc it takes so long to load...

vwgtiturbo
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2008, 12:11 PM

I'm sure that you could (it is merely a frontend for things that are built into the OS) but honestly, I haven't been using Macs long enough to know how. I DO know that you would have to boot into single-user mode (hold Command-S at boot), but past that, I couldn't tell you. I would just turn it on, and go do something else. After what seems like a few millenia, it may at least be usable so you can D/L Onyx.
Black 13" Widescreen MacBook
2.0Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 12:13 PM

Does it still happen if you boot up while holding in shift?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules