Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Carrying case

Carrying case
mikeirwin
Jun 13, 2000, 01:02 AM

Can anyone reccommend a carrying case for an I-book with lots of room for some other stuff like cdrw and external hard drives and a bunch of CDs. I'm a graphic designer and will be working from long distance for the summer.

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2000, 07:17 AM

Here's the most recent thread discussing them...
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/000318.html
Aaron

adam smith
Jun 13, 2000, 10:46 PM

There is a Canadian company named Willow Designs (Burnaby, BC) who make amasing cases. Hand made and lifetime guaranteed. They have cases, briefcases, backpacks, etc. Highly HIGHLY recommended.

They've got an iBook backpack on the bench now (I'm awaiting delivery of mine).

Check them out at <http://www.willow-design.com/>. The iBook case isn't on their site yet, but if you call them (they have a 1 800 number) they'll tell you all the details.

Eric P
Jun 14, 2000, 01:39 AM

You can't go without looking at the iBookBag you can find info on our site at www.drbott.com. There are also some retailers who offer them for under $50 like ink4art.com.

iMan
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2000, 01:19 AM

Hello All,

Here are a bunch of kick @$$ iBook cases! http://www.sumdex.com/ibook_cases.htm
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

Sr.Schuyler
Jun 17, 2000, 12:31 PM

I've considered a number of different ibook cases, and weighing all the options, I've purchased the iShuttle from Comdex (see website above). For what it offers (padded, extra storage, cool ibook design) it seems like a great deal.
HOWEVER, I haven't recieved it yet! I'll let you know how it stacks up when it arrives...

Sr.Schuyler
Jun 17, 2000, 12:33 PM

Sorry, I meant Sumdex, not Comdex. Isn't Comdex from an MST3K episode? http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/Schuyler.html

mikeirwin
Jun 20, 2000, 03:59 AM

Thanks to all who responded, I'm still looking but I like what I see from Sumdex. Let me know how yours works out.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2000, 06:42 AM

I'm also in the market for an iBook case (i'll make my purchase in a week or so).. at this point, the favorite is the iBoot from Spire (www.spireusa.com) for the nice price of $30.. it's a case designed for the iBook (to ensure a good fit) that is meant to put inside another case.. i have an old, big backpack which has been very reliable, so i'll be able to carry the iBook in it (protected by the iBoot) and it won't be conspicuous and LOOK like there's a laptop stuffed in there.. I was also considering the sumdex stuff, but it's more expensive and those flashy colors attract attention (and a thief who's done his homework would recognize the iBook-like design).. anyone else have experience with the iBoot?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2000, 08:05 AM

Isn't Comdex one of them computer expos?

richardjanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2000, 10:02 AM

buy.com heavily discounts the sumdex line ... under $40 in most cases.

I actually prefer the bright colors. On the outside chance a thief actually does get ahold of it in those fleeting seconds it wouldn't be in my hands (but still connected to my eyeballs), it'll be a heck of a lot easier to spot in a sea of black blandness.

I wish the sumdex colors were more vibrant and less pastel.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2000, 10:35 AM

thanks for the tip richardjanus
http://www.us.buy.com/comp/product.asp?sku=10247604

about 40 bux, assuming small S/H charge... not bad.

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 06-20-2000).]

joeaux
Jun 21, 2000, 08:05 AM

I've got a Sumdex iShuttle (tangerine, like my iBook). It's a great case. Semihard so it protects the iBook. Lots of little pookas inside. Plenty of room for the charger, the cord and other goodies. Recommended.
-joe-

------------------
iMac (Lime 266 OS 9), iBook (Tangerine 300 OS 9), SE/30 (Platinum 16 OS 7.5.5)

Bobby
Jun 24, 2000, 06:46 PM

I got a CaseLogic case, about the size of the ibook. Its got about enough room for the iBook, the power cord, and thats it! An easier case than the built in hande to toat around & allows me to cary the power cord with it...

------------------

Sr.Schuyler
Jun 28, 2000, 05:03 PM

I've had my iShuttle for 1 week now, have done some serious travel with it. It is "semi-rigid" on the outside, probably wouldn't protect the book if dropped from a couple feet, but good for general brushes against stuff/scratches. It has NO padding to speak of. It has a velcro strap which really holds the book in place. I disagree that there's "plenty" of room, I find it to be a bit cramped. Right now I have the AC adapter & 2 jewel CD cases and a thin manual, and the case is a little tricky to zip. Speaking of zip, my 250 USB absolutely WILL NOT fit. I've tried it many different ways, and I just don't feel comfortable with it.
So in conclusion: The iShuttle looks great, seems fairly sturdy, and allows me to carry my book and a little bit o'stuff...if it was just an inch wider........
Scott http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/Schuyler.html

richardjanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2000, 08:35 PM

Has anyone tried the larger iBrief from Sumdex? When I finally *do* buy my iBook, I'm actually considering buying both an iShuttle and an iBrief: the iShuttle for day-to-day back-and-forth between home and office, and an iBrief for serious travel where all the extra storage space is needed.

Can anyone comment on the colors of the cases themselves? They look very pastel to me in the online pics I've seen, almost washed out. I would be happier if I knew they were better than pictured.

iMan
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2000, 07:42 PM

Hello All,

Here is another cool case!
http://www.grabpac.com/grabforib.html
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

bap2
Jul 3, 2000, 08:46 AM

i went to microcenter this weekend and came across the ishuttle, ipack, and ibrief. first off they are quite orange, but the other part of at least the ishuttle, and ibrief are GREY, as in not quite but almost metallic grey. it's so weird. why did they choose grey? i personally think it looks awful esp. on the ishuttle. and the ishuttle is super small. the ibrief however is quite nice in the design aspect. it was everything i was looking for, except that it was really expensive.

as for the grabpac, it LOOKS neat, but what's up with the hole in the top. i live in a place that has more cloudy days that seattle and rains almost constantly. the ibook may be tough against hitting things, but when it comes to water, all laptops are washed up. i don't think i could risk carrying it around with the handle and top sticking out of it, exposed.

it may be rugged but you can never give something too much protection. esp. when the ibook is so new and fickle (well mine is). i still haven't found a pack i like! and it's getting to be annoying!

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2000, 10:01 AM

bap2, the weather here (in the UK) is why I bought a boblbee pack for my iBook. Totally waterproofed (although I'm not planning to do the scuba diving test they did), very strong, and suprisingly light. Also enough space inside that you could probably use it as an aircraft hangar
www.boblbee.com

Aaron

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2000, 10:01 AM

I ordered a Spire iBoot (www.spireusa.com) over the weekend, and whenever I get it (the holiday tomorrow throws a wrench in the shipping dates) I'll post a mini-review about padding, quality, fit, etc.

richardjanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2000, 10:03 AM

bap2:

Pop over to buy.com and I think you'll find a MUCH better price on the iBrief.

Glad to hear that the orange is vibrant. Did you see a blue one? How vibrant was the blue? Of course now you've got me worried about the grey ...

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2000, 11:16 PM

Well, the iBoot came and i;m pretty impressed. The outer is made of a tough-looking fabric, while the inside is smooth to prevent scratches. Also, it fits the iBook perfectly. There's pretty good padding all around (though there's a small 1/2" or so space where the back padding panel meets the bottom one). I was pretty surprised by it's size. It's basically just a tiny bit bigger than the iBook, so it leaves plenty of room in a backpack or whatever you put it in. My only major gripe is that the iBook must be put in on it's side, so it can't be lifted out by the handle, but I guess this is the case (no pun intended) with any backpack-style case. All this for only $30.. I'm a happy customer and recommend SpireUSA.. good stuff.

todrain
Senior User
Jul 8, 2000, 10:59 AM

I'm looking to replace my Saddlebag (which has served me well through 3 different laptops.) but Buy.Com doesn't seem to offer the graphite version of the iBrief. Does anyone know where you can get it? (other than paying double and buying it from the company.)

Thanks,

-tom

bap2
Jul 15, 2000, 12:46 PM

I'm a student, andi was desperately in need of a bag for my ibook, and i found the perfect solution (for me). i didn't go with many of the popular bags but got http://www.yakpak.com/product.asp?de...0&pf%5Fid=1025

this is the yakpak The Box. the orange color is a nice muted tangerinish color, it fits the ibook snug (no padding, but i think the ibook can handle that). and it LOOKS really trendy, like an origami box.

you can find it for 30 dollars at www.bigwords.com.

i really like it. it probably will not fit a LOT of accessories, but since i don't have any, it doesn't matter, it will hold my ac adapter and palm pilot.

hope you all like.

johnkyrk
Jul 15, 2000, 10:55 PM

I have an ordinary Jansport backpack. I slip my iBook into a large ziplock bag I got at a packaging/shipping store, then slide it into my backpack along with books, bottles of joice, etc.I've been doing this since last September and there's not a scratch on m'iBook nor any problem caused by this method of transport.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2000, 11:20 PM

ya know, that is what i do... i thought i was the only one to be so cheap

already had the Jansport (heavy duty with a rubber tire-like bottom) and i just pop the iBook into the plastic bag, and it doesn't look like i have a laptop...

i wanted to get a special bag for my iBook, but none have tempted me as they all have shortcomings it seems

KymbaKhan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2000, 07:25 PM

Welcome to a HUGE post. It's the iBooks fault. Having too much fun typing.

Am posting this to an older thread with an appropriate name.

I was very concerned about spending $50- on a glorified back-pack, {because I have a huge collection of backpacks, rucksacks & totes} yet I was much more concerned about protecting my first portable �puter � so I had a fairly significant list of demands to be satisfied by any bag I decided to purchase.

I�ve always been an "overpacker," and someone who has to be sure they�ve got everything they�d possibly need � vid "the freak" in �The Breakfast Club� dumping the contents of a bag suitable for the Bataan D. March and you�re getting the idea. Hell, I used to carry loose tea & a steeping spoon...

One of the reasons for me to get an iBook was the notion that I�d be giving up 10 pounds of personal papers, lists, budgets, take-home-work-reading, printed e-mail web-site info, calendar-book, cd player, paper-back books and the like in favor of a dead-sexy digital companion. {And I would have �got� away with it if it hadn�t been for you meddling kids and your Kensington Saddlebag! � but more on that in a moment.} What I mean to say is � I was commuting with too much *junk*, but I also recognized the need to be able to bring sufficient peripherals and accessories.

This continuing tendency to overpack gave me some pretty good insight into how to bear weight. Unless you�re REALLY going to keep your load to less than a very few pounds � Don�t Waste Your Money & Ruin Your Back on a single-shoulder-strap bag. Just don�t. Look at all the commuting dorks slightly swayed to one side. Sheesh. Are you fixated on one of those slick looking briefcase style deelies? Fine. Get a second shoulder strap. Pirate one from another bag, some old luggage, anything � you�ll be happier & better balanced.

I�m an absolute *freak* for convertible bags. They can look like briefcases, and function comfortably like on when your load is light. Should things get a bit heavy and a lovely set of straps slip out & attach � allowing you to carry in comfort. Mmmm. Spiffy. I have two bags like this, worn practically to smithereens. I needed something designed to efficiently carry my iBook, and was very worried that most bags wouldn�t be sufficient.

So- as I was computer and accessory shopping a couple styles really stood out:

*Kensington Saddlebag:
This came free with the iBook, and that�s how I "chose" it over the AstroPack. I was relieved to know I�d have more than enough space for everything, and it�s truly a roomy bag. I was thrilled with the multiple bearing options. I got the iBook at the same time as a new job. For two-weeks I carried the iBook, a huge stack of New Employee junk, a 1" file of personal junk I needed to input or sort, a small Wacom tablet, iBook power adapter, a make-up bag, wallet AND a freaking mini-organizer. A couple days I added a USB zip or floppy drive. ROOMY. The shaped shoulder strap is nice, I flip it up to move the bag from car to home, for longer walks I used the backpack style. The outside slip pocket & zip helped me keep site maps, new keycards, car & house keys when I needed to stuff them away & retrieve them quickly. {I was in *such* a scramble, and dreadfully over-loaded!}

The only thing that made me worry is the non-closable computer compartment. You fill the bag from the top with access to the computer and materials compartment at the same time. A cover-all top flap closes the main compartments and conceals the smaller pockets. i.e.: load the bag, forget to fasten the front clip, grab the shoulder strap and you can dump your goods and your �puter all over the ground. Aieee! Didn�t happen to me, but almost. Check that front clip! The dense foam wrapped top-carry handle is very comfy.

The saddlebag is large � I�m small and short-waisted, so when worn as a backpack the iBook wasn�t held at a particularly comfortable place. A larger person might not be so bothered by this, but the large bag {when not overstuffed} can feel a bit loose. If you don�t fill the main compartment, but put your adapters in the small pockets on the outside it feels a little weird when walking.

I really got what I wanted in the Saddlebag � unfortunately all that weight just isn�t good to carry around. There�s a saying about getting what you wish for, right? This bag is so versatile, I�m really glad to have it. It�s a great travel companion for when I will need absolutely everything. For day to day commuting however -

*Kensington AstroPack:
I had my eye on this � seemed ideal if it didn�t turn out to be too small. I�d read another owners review that said the fitting was tight, you�ve read the above so you know that this info worried me. But... it was still just *so* appealing.

I had a small windfall this month, and since the Saddlebag was free I decided to treat myself to another bag.

Love it. Absolutely. It carries the computer high and snug against your upper back. Suddenly the 6lb iBook weighs next to nothing, the weight of the bag disappears. The high carry position is a masterful idea. I�d read KeyLime Pi�s comments. I�d worried about snug bags, other users had complained that stressing the iBook case could give it small cracks. The AstroPack does lay the computer across my back, but the straps are quite easily adjusted. I haven�t felt any undue strain when I move wearing the pack. The straps are thick and comfortable, slightly curved to fit the body. The top-carry handle isn�t quite as plush as the fully wrapped Saddlebag handle, but it is comfortable enough and the bag carries from the top nicely balanced.

I carry the iBook, power supply, small Wacom tablet, a couple cd�s and zip discs, along with a few scraps of paper, a couple pens, post-its and very few female odd�s-n-ends. I have toted a USB Zip a couple times. The top-zipping wrap-pockets are *great* for keys & my ID leash. I can carry a slim folder for full size papers, but I�m not doing that often. You can�t carry a full ring-binder or notebook � but why would you with an iBook in tow? I can�t overpack it, but I can carry everything I need. Incredibly efficient, moderately sized, not at all floppy or sloppy, easy wearing... it�s a great bag. Just the thing to reign in my luggage and not cause me to feel I�m leaving things behind. Also, the AstroPack has the coolest zipper-pulls I�ve ever seen. I think they�re meant to look like chips or little techy hardware, and they�re made of flexible crystal clear acrylic. Neet-o!

I carry a mini-pack or purse on the side � but I was doing that with the Saddlebag as well. There�s just no way to turn a utility bag into a purse, and I needed a break-out bag/purse for during the day. Guys might keep their wallet in one of the zippered wrap around pockets � but that�s not pick-pocket safe! Carrying other bags or parcels is more manageable when I�m wearing the snug feeling AstroPack.

Hope that�s more information that you could possibly need, and not too much to carry...
~Ky <-too fond of hypens.

------------------
--
[email protected]
-= Pace Car for the Apocalypse=-
--
[email protected]
-= Official Pace Car of the Apocalypse=-

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2000, 03:34 AM

Agree completely about the Saddlebag - love it.

However, there is a big flaw: the backpack straps stink. They're too flimsy, too narrow, and they're not attached to the pack as durably as they could be. As a result, it feels funny in backpack mode. The straps just never seem to fit right. I've heard a few cases where the strap has torn from the stitching on top. For this reason, it isn't great for walking very long distances in backpack mode.

That said, it really is a wonderful case. The rest of the design is great. Sporty, but still great in a business environment.

If they would improve the backpack straps, it would be the perfect case, IMHO...

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2000, 10:01 AM

Have to give my vote to Sumdex! I love my iShuttle for day-to-day transport of my 466 Firewire. Plus it looks cool!

KymbaKhan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2000, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by iKevin:
Have to give my vote to Sumdex! I love my iShuttle for day-to-day transport of my 466 Firewire. Plus it looks cool!

the iShuttle scored high on my "looks way cool" scale.

the reason i ruled it out for my use is that it's a hardshell case, and single-shoulder-strap. with a hardshell i was somewhat concerned about not being able to squeeze enough junk in when necessary.

well, i *know* what that got me. looking like an overpacked turtle!

if you like to do the briefcase-carry, you are the *coolest* looking briefcase carrying mo-fo out there.

MacPride!
~Ky

------------------
--
[email protected]
-= Pace Car for the Apocalypse=-
--
[email protected]
-= Official Pace Car of the Apocalypse=-

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2000, 03:38 PM

LOL, definatley high on the cool-o-meter. I do agree with the crap problem. Anything other than my iBoook,powerpack w/cable and a couple of CDs and the case starts to bloat....but it does protect and look cool!

jamesbondsv
Dec 4, 2000, 05:18 PM

Has anyone used any SpireUSA products to put their iBook in?

bobette
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2000, 12:51 AM

Kensington Saddlebag, roomy, sturdy, anonymous looking (because I'm an iBook user, not a walking ad), plus, it doesn't look like Tinky Winkie's handbag in the Teletubbies.

I put in my Que! drive, all my wiring, cd pouch, papers, cell phone, etc... don't forget your Coolpad! hehehe...
this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

Forum Links
Forum Rules