Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Please post carrying case comments here

Please post carrying case comments here
jamesbondsv
Sep 3, 2000, 01:51 PM

I know there have been a lot of posts asking people what bags they carry there 'Book in. I just want this one to be the "Master" list of comments. There is a page that can hold all your comments that is bag specific. It has the specs of the bag and a pic. It is at http://www.pbsource.com/cases/ . If you could all just put your comments on that page. The page only has a few and some bags have zero comments. This could really be helpful to a lot of people. If you don't want to do it then put it here along with the name you want shown, your email address, the price you paid, where you purchased it, the URL of that store, manufacturer, the manufacturer's URL, the model and your comments. I will put this info in for you. Thanks for your help!

jamesbondsv  (op)
Sep 3, 2000, 10:40 PM

Come on. Please post. I'm begging ya.

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2000, 02:04 AM

I plan on getting a Spire iPak.

I don't own one, some people do. I want it cause I do not want people to think that I have a laptop.
www.spireusa.com

jamesbondsv  (op)
Sep 4, 2000, 10:38 AM

Be sure to tell us when you get the iPak.

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2000, 07:24 PM

I've had a Kensington Saddlebag for a year so far, and done some traveling with it. It fits my iBook like a charm (a PB G3 will also fit nicely) and has plenty of room.

BTW - there are plenty of reviews on the stated web page for this bag. It's very popular with PowerBook owners, for good reason.

I took out the internal folder dividers (they're attached with Velcro) and just use the space for the iBook power supply, magazines, digital camera, cables, water bottle, etc. etc. I have even fit a change of clothes in there!

It fits perfectly under a coach airline seat, even when stuffed. An important consideration for air travelers.

The zippered compartments (with webbed pockets) have places for everything:

- Cell phone
- Palm pilot
- Business card window
- Key hanger
- Pen/pencil pockets
- Outside airline ticket holder
- Outside zippered magazine/newspaper areas
- Padded computer area
- Large, expandable internal space

I like the fact you can carry it 3 ways:

- Nice, spongy yet firm handle
- Over the shoulder with the shoulder strap
- On the back with the backpack straps

If you don't want to deal with backpack straps, they hide away in a zippered compartment. Also, the shoulder strap can be detached and stored inside if you just want a handled bag.

My only real worry is the backpack straps are sewn onto the back, but they look like they could rip out with a heavy load. I heard of one instance of that happening, although mine are holding out fine.

All in all, this is a great bag. And, it was just released with a new Graphite trim!

jamesbondsv  (op)
Sep 5, 2000, 10:33 PM

fmalloy, are you going to post your comments on that site. I think it would really be appreciated by others who visit it.

oohhey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2000, 12:08 AM

I have the new Graphite trimmed Kensington saddlebag. I love it. I feel it is perfectly padded for my iBook. I have plenty of space for just about everything I need. However, the more space, the more you store, and the heavier it gets. I take it to school and it is heavy after putting my books and etc in it. But that is where the hidaway backpack straps come in handy! All in all I would say Get it!! I looked around everywhere for mine. It was basically around 59.00-79.00 everywhere. I got mine on outpost for 49.95 and got free overnight shipping and no tax. Great deal.

------------------
iMac rev "b" 160ram OS9
iBook 160ram OS9
zip100
umax MX3 scanner
epson stylus 640
and way too much software!
iMac rev "b" 160ram OS9
iBook 160ram OS9
zip100
umax MX3 scanner
epson stylus 640
and way too much software!

jamesbondsv  (op)
Sep 12, 2000, 04:04 PM

Thanks, oohey. Would you put your comments at www.pbsource.com/cases/ ?

gen-xterra
Sep 12, 2000, 04:20 PM

So, what's up with jamesbondsv pimping for pbsource.com?

jamesbondsv  (op)
Sep 12, 2000, 04:29 PM

I am, in no way, affiliated or connected to www.pbsource.com. I just think that getting a case is a big deal and should be taken seriously. This is a way to influence people to buy the "right" case. The Kensington Saddlebag is one of the most popular.

KymbaKhan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2000, 04:30 PM

The Kensington Saddlebag is extremely popular and much commented about.

Has anyone tried out the Kensington AstroPack? Supposedly it's iBook sized, it's almost a conventional backpack {as opposed to a briefcase type bag}, and is somewhat teardrop in shape. it's got a built-in/cut-out handle to carry from the top and it has shoulder straps for wearing it like a backpack.

the Kensington online data doesn't really give a satisfying look at the inside, the storage systems & pockets. i'm wondering if anyone has tried one out, what the balance is like & all that.

Cheers,
~Kymba <-Oct 13, order day. ...finally!

------------------
-=-=-
[email protected]
--
[email protected]
-= Official Pace Car of the Apocalypse=-

~scott
Sep 27, 2000, 05:00 PM

I've already got a well-built backpack that I bring just about everywhere, so I'm going the cheap & easy route. A simple neoprene slip cover like the ones from www.cozo.com will keep away scratches & dirt while my book is traveling in my bag. Added bonus: my 12 year old, coffee-stained, grungy (but still bullet-proof!) day pack doesn't look like it contains anything valuable.

jamesbondsv  (op)
Sep 27, 2000, 08:42 PM

What brand of bag lasts that long?

~scott
Sep 27, 2000, 10:08 PM

It's from an outfit called Granite Gear (www.granitegear.com). They mostly make hefty bags for climbing/mountaineering, but they have a couple of day bags. Of course, the bag I have isn't made any more. But if their construction is still what it used to be, you won't need a new bag for a long, long time. Mine's been in use almost daily since the day I got it, first for books when I was in school, now for notebooks and manuals for work and various other uses on canoe and camping trips. The zippers all work, the stitching is still good, the straps and fasteners are still intact, and the fabric shows very little wear. Good stuff!

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2000, 08:10 AM

A little off here, but I own an Endo from Spire for my PowerBook; Spire's quality is really, really good.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2000, 09:49 AM

Ordered my Kensington AstroPack today. Almost got the Saddlebag, but thought a little 'differnt.' Buy.com and Outpost are pretty close on price -- about $40 when you add in shipping. I'll let you know what I think when I get it tomorrow.

computermite
Sep 28, 2000, 09:55 AM

I own a 2 compartment North Face 'Recon' backpack. The main compartment has hooks to fit something called a Computer Sleeve, a padded pouch that is suspended inside the bag.

Unfortunately the Computer Sleeve is too small to fit the iBook, although the actual compartment is big enough. I am now considering getting Boot from Spire but it probably won't hang from the loops inside the bag.

Does anyone know of a better/more compatible pouch to use with my backpack?

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2000, 07:08 PM

Got my Kensington AstroPac. Looks like it will good for me...but definately not for everyone.

This bag has some nice features, and the cool design factor is at the top of that list. It is both a carrier and a backpack, and works equally well both ways. The iBook fits snuggly inside with sufficient padding to keep it safe.

On the downside, if you're looking for a bag that will carry a lot of stuff...this bag isn't for you. It holds my iBook, a couple of issues of MacWorld and a couple of CDs, but not much else. The two outer/flap pockets are almost useless...and the little patches that are *suppose* to hold a cellphone and some pens aren't capable of holding either. Even if you could squeeze something into them, the flaps (which wrap around the front of the bag) wouldn't close.

Like I said, I was looking for something simple like the GrabPac (they STILL haven't returned my e-mails), so this bag works fine for me. I really only need to carry my Key Lime, the power cables and a CD or DVD or two, which the AstroPac does very well, and very stylishly.

uncle Paulie
Oct 10, 2000, 09:40 PM

I just got a Gap back pack at an outlet store (3.99) the bag is "key lime" and fits my ibook 466 perfectly. It's not on their website anymore... but if you can find one at an outlet store... it's well worth the money

Sender
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2000, 02:19 AM

I saw one from Victorinox yesterday, looks pretty sweet. Pricey though, $180 and comes with $1500 theft insurance. It had a smooth foam inner pouch and a separate zippered pouch for other stuff.

Forum Links
Forum Rules