Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Chrome 31 improves web payment support, makes security fixes

Chrome 31 improves web payment support, makes security fixes
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 13, 2013, 01:41 PM

Google has released Chrome 31, an update of its web browser for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and Chrome OS. The primary addition is better payment support, in the form of allowing site access to Chrome's auto-complete data (with user permission). This lets people save payment information in the browser for quicker access. Google says, however, that Mac compatibility will only be included "in a future release."

Other changes include Portable Native Client support -- allowing developers to compile an app once for any hardware platform or website -- and fixes for 25 security vulnerabilities. The Android version of Chrome now supports iOS-style homescreen shortcuts, letting people jump straight to a website instead of opening up a generic browser session. Using special metatags on websites will even allow Android to automatically open sites in fullscreen mode, hiding buttons and the menu bar. The Android update should arrive on Google Play later today.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Nov 13, 2013 at 01:46 PM. )

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2013, 01:59 PM

Chrome 31? Come on Firefox, need to crank out 6 more versions for the next few hours and you are up to par with Chrome. I can't wait for version 100 on these two.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2013, 05:15 PM

I'm holding out for version 207. That will be the really good version. I think it's due in about eight weeks.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

ljmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2013, 11:58 PM

Yeah, Chrome's version numbering is absurd! Disappointing that Firefox jumped on the bandwagon, but I'm glad to see nobody else has engaged in this stupidity.

Forum Links
Forum Rules