Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Bug in iOS 8 triggering problems with Bluetooth connections in cars

Bug in iOS 8 triggering problems with Bluetooth connections in cars
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 1, 2014, 03:39 PM

The current versions of iOS 8 is creating problems for people who pair their iPhones with Bluetooth devices, particularly car audio systems, according to complaints. In the case of cars, devices with the firmware may refuse to pair, fail to play audio, or disconnect when a phonecall comes in. The problem can't be solved with iOS 8.0.2, and is affecting many automotive brands, including BMW, Ford, Hyundai, Toyota, and others.

People may also have trouble pairing with other Bluetooth accessories such as speakers and headsets. Apple is said to be aware of the bug, and working on a fix; meanwhile, however, a temporary workaround may involve signing out of iCloud, forgetting Bluetooth devices, and using "Reset All Settings" and/or "Reset Network Settings" before restarting a device, re-pairing it, and signing back into iCloud. The Reset All Settings command is potentially dangerous though, because some users have reported losing all their iCloud Drive documents.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 1, 2014 at 09:40 PM. )

prl99
Senior User
Oct 1, 2014, 04:05 PM

I just checked my two vehicles and they both work fine. I had previously paired them under iOS7, upgraded to iOS8, then 8.0.2, and they still connect fine. I had my wife call me while I had music playing and the music stopped and the call was received. I have a 2013 Toyota Tacoma with factory audio (not navigation) and a 2011 Subaru Legacy, also with factory stereo and their weird separate bluetooth setup. Audio was played through the stereo jack of my iPhone 5s on the Subaru and USB on the Tacoma. Is this another case of only a few vocal people having a problem and the vast majority of people don't? Or am I just lucky?

johnpford
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2014, 04:39 PM

Oh it's a problem. I had the problem with my iPhone 5s as soon as I updated to 8.0 and also on my 6 plus. I tried lots of things. The only thing that fixed it was to "Reset all Settings". I hoped that would be it but when I went to 8.0.2 it caused the problem again.

Also on my girlfriends phone it stopped the pairing of her Nike Fuel to her 5s also. Again, clearing all settings fixes it.

There doesn't seem to be a reason as to why it is happening or any pattern. Example is both my boss and I have the same year Audi. He works fine in his and my car, mine didn't work in either one till I reset all settings. Very strange.

coitus
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2014, 06:57 PM

You can add Audi to the list. My 2008 TT had worked flawlessly prior to iOS 8 but now it will pair and the promptly block all audio from the car whether or not you are actively using bluetooh. I haven't tried to reset the settings.

-coitus

razormaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2014, 07:17 PM

i can confirm that this is an issue with the 2010 kia soul, bluetooth voice and phone is working, but connecting directly will result in "ipod not found" twice, then will connect on third attempt.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2014, 12:06 AM

I can confirm as well, my 2014 Lamboghini Aventador LP 700-4 has bluetooth problems, as well as my Bugatti Veyron and my Ford GT. My wife's three Jaguars and six Mercedes also exhibit this problem, as well as my son's soon-to-be Ferrari 458 GT2 (he's only 3, but we went ahead and got him a base-model first-car to combat inflation 13 years from now).

ljmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2014, 02:50 AM

LOL@DiabloConQueso - I was thinking along those lines while reading these comments myself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules