Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 7600 - ATA card & other improvements - discussion

7600 - ATA card & other improvements - discussion
Fyzycyst
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2000, 11:01 PM

Just got a 7600/120 (1.2GB/48MB) cheap. It doesn't appear that there's an obvious way for a ribbon cable to go from an ATA card to the empty drive bay. I'd like a 2nd opinion on this, though.

my goal: whopping big HD, put in the 1 MB cache from my PCP180/G3-333, maybe more RAM/VRAM -> family Internet/Office machine + CD burning + print/file serving in my basement network.

comments?

suggestions?

tonywong
Jun 2, 2000, 09:42 AM

Cache from PCP won't work. It's 3.3V while you need 5V. A cheap G3 card would obviate the need for the mobo cache.

Jerry
Jun 2, 2000, 10:04 AM

This page on Accelerate Your Mac! shows how to route a cable from a SCSI or ATA card to your new drive on a 7500/7600/7300:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/guest_rev1/

Fyzycyst  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2000, 01:17 PM

Thanks for comments. I guess the other thing I need to ponder is the cost/benefit of big cheap IDE drive + ATA card vs. just putting a second SCSI drive in the internal bay. If I can figure out where the crossover point is in terms of $/GB, I'll post it.

asdfer
Jun 2, 2000, 01:20 PM

If you do go the Ultra-ATA route and are going to get the ProMax ATA card, order it from CDW (computer discount warehouse) they have it for ~$110! Not too bad a deal.

emark1
Jun 2, 2000, 02:21 PM

note:

a 7600 SCSI has seperate internal and external. The internal runs at 10MB/s vs. the external at 5MB/s.

without much expense you could find two cheap decent SCSI drives, get the FWB Toolkit and even make a RAID drive with the equipment you have. That would be an effective max rate at 20 MB/s, if I understand this right.

I have a 7600/132 upgraded with a 300Mhz G3 and am pleased as punch. I don't use the RAID option myself as my hard drives are at drastically different performance/size characteristics. Try and buy a matched pair if you want optimal performance and minimal problems with the RAID if you try it.

matos
Jun 2, 2000, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by emark1:
note:

a 7600 SCSI has seperate internal and external. The internal runs at 10MB/s vs. the external at 5MB/s.

without much expense you could find two cheap decent SCSI drives, get the FWB Toolkit and even make a RAID drive with the equipment you have. That would be an effective max rate at 20 MB/s, if I understand this right.

I have a 7600/132 upgraded with a 300Mhz G3 and am pleased as punch. I don't use the RAID option myself as my hard drives are at drastically different performance/size characteristics. Try and buy a matched pair if you want optimal performance and minimal problems with the RAID if you try it.
wrong. you only get twice the speed of the lowest device so you get 10MB/s wich is the same speed of the fastest channel.

Forum Links
Forum Rules