Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Far-fetched theory about 10.2 interface

Far-fetched theory about 10.2 interface
Mongrel
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2002, 11:45 PM

I checked out my MacOSX News eMail from Apple today, which covered mainly the upcoming developer's conference and Jaguar preview. What raised my brow was the navigation buttons along the top (Apple Home, iDisk...). In every menu UI Apple has put out in the past couple years, the graphics were meant to represent a current product lineup. The Powerbook nav buttons look like the edge of the Powerbook, the G4 navs looked like the ridges of the G4, and evrything non hardware-related used AQUA buttons.

But the nav on THIS, my friends, is something totally different... nothing outrageous, mind you, but still it doesn't reflect anything we've seen from Apple... yet.

What if this is a reflection of a new UI option? I personally would dig nice, flat buttons like this over squished Liqui-drops scattered about my Photoshop interface, so here's to hoping!
Grrr...rawr.

Brass
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2002, 12:00 AM

I'd like to be able to see what you're talking about, but unfortunately, Mail.app doesn't seem to be able to display those messages properly for me. I just get plain coloured squares anywhere there's supposed to be a graphic. Does this happen for anyone else?

Borborygmi
Apr 24, 2002, 12:02 AM

A screenshot would be nice for those of us who don't have this e-mail to read. A picture is worth...

dtriska
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 12:09 AM

I think this is what he's talking about.

oranjdisc
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 12:13 AM

I, for one, would LOVE that as an optional "theme" instead of Aqua.

robotmarkVIII
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2002, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Mongrel:
<STRONG>I checked out my MacOSX News eMail from Apple today, which covered mainly the upcoming developer's conference and Jaguar preview. What raised my brow was the navigation buttons along the top (Apple Home, iDisk...). In every menu UI Apple has put out in the past couple years, the graphics were meant to represent a current product lineup. The Powerbook nav buttons look like the edge of the Powerbook, the G4 navs looked like the ridges of the G4, and evrything non hardware-related used AQUA buttons.

But the nav on THIS, my friends, is something totally different... nothing outrageous, mind you, but still it doesn't reflect anything we've seen from Apple... yet.

What if this is a reflection of a new UI option? I personally would dig nice, flat buttons like this over squished Liqui-drops scattered about my Photoshop interface, so here's to hoping! </STRONG>
Weird... I saw that too, and I thought the same thing. I doubt there will be any cosmetic changes to the thing, maybe new features and faster...

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 24, 2002, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
<STRONG>I'd like to be able to see what you're talking about, but unfortunately, Mail.app doesn't seem to be able to display those messages properly for me. I just get plain coloured squares anywhere there's supposed to be a graphic. Does this happen for anyone else?</STRONG>
Mail Preferences &gt; Viewing &gt; Download all images, animations, etc

Brass
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2002, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
<STRONG>Mail Preferences &gt; Viewing &gt; Download all images, animations, etc</STRONG>
Nope, that ain't it. Already got that set. Are these images actually part of the email, or are they just HTML to another source? Maybe Mail.app doesn't play nicely with proxies.

Anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 01:00 AM

Isn't that just the iTunes/quicktime look that has been around for years?

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2002, 01:37 AM

There were theories like this thrown around when 10.1 was being cooked. People thought the new nav widgets on the Apple site indicated a new direction in Aqua. It didn't. It doesn't.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Gavin
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
<STRONG>

Nope, that ain't it. Already got that set. Are these images actually part of the email, or are they just HTML to another source? Maybe Mail.app doesn't play nicely with proxies.

Anyone else having this problem or is it just me?</STRONG>
Could be a proxy thing. I've had people send my pix that weren't there when I got the email but did show up when I looked at the same message 2 days later. wierd. Like the pix were routed though some far off place like Tasmania or somewhere.

;-)
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

mattstoton
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 06:49 AM

If I recall correctly, you can get Brushed and Musix from here: http://xthemination.maccustomise.com/themes/

Both look good
New sig coming soon. Yes, it will violate the sig guidelines :p

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2002, 01:48 PM

If you recall correctly? Isn't that the site you are *always* posting links to? And, don't you run it?

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2002, 05:36 PM

I've heard that the website is in the process of being rebuilt. Perhaps these are a tip-off to the revised look...

My question is if they kill the Aqua look in the corp image, how long before we'll be able to do the same in X?
http://www.KeynotePro.com - Keynote Themes for Professionals

KidRed
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2002, 06:30 PM

The Music theme is still Aqua and the brushed theme is plain ugly.

For the UI fell you are talking about, check out the them thread ChosenX in the software forum. This guy has a slick theme going that is similar in style to the buttons you showed.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

ARENA
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
<STRONG>Isn't that just the iTunes/quicktime look that has been around for years?</STRONG>
I'd say it has nothing to do with the brushed metal interface from iTunes or QT.
An Apple 'manufactured' theme with that sort of plain gray look would be great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules