Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Will "Low-Complexity" MPEG-4 videos (not H.264) play on the iPod touch?

Will "Low-Complexity" MPEG-4 videos (not H.264) play on the iPod touch?
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2007, 07:50 AM

I've recently converted a whole lot of my DVDs into M4V files so that I can archive the discs and watch them without having to dig them out.

To be specific, I have used the following settings:

MPEG-4 Video
Low-Complexity (this is what iTunes reports it as)
1000kbps
AAC Audio
48KHz
160kbps

Now, according to the iPod touch specs page, it will play:

MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
What I would like to know is whether the files I have produced so far will work on an iPod touch or whether I will need to re-encode the DVDs.

Is "Simple Profile" the same as "Low-Complexity"? Is "AAC-LC" the same as "AAC"? If not, how can I achieve those settings in HandBrake, the software I used to do all this, as I see no options to choose those two things by name.

I've tried both Google and this forums own search but can find nothing on this.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2007, 10:41 AM

It occurred to me that it would be much easier for me to find this out if I offered a file encoded in the way I've described so that someone with an iPhone (same video abilities as the iPod touch, if I understand correctly) can quickly check to see if it works.

So, here is a small snippet from The American Astronaut:

mpeg4test.m4v - 41.5MB

If someone could let me know if it works or not on the iPhone, I would much appreciate it.

[EDIT - I've not got my server configured to treat .m4v files as video, so just remove the .txt extension from the downloaded file and it should be fine.]

[EDIT2 - It seems the current iPod videos should also be able to play this file, as they, the iPhone and the new iPod classics and iPod touches all share the same video playback abilities. So, if anyone could test this, that'd be mighty fine.]

[EDIT3 - Sorted, it works.]
( Last edited by megasad; Sep 6, 2007 at 03:29 PM. )
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules