Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Any thoughts on the 800mhz eMac vs. 1ghz eMac?

Any thoughts on the 800mhz eMac vs. 1ghz eMac?
WizOSX
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 04:57 PM

I'm thinking of buying either the 800mhz or the 1ghz on Monday. The edu price on Monday in Canada will be $600 ($US) for the 800mhz Rev.2 CDRom model or $750 ($US) for the 1ghz. Either is a great price. Also, anyone just installed Panther on the 1ghz model? Reactions? Speed?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2003, 05:08 PM

i just installed panther on my 1ghz eMac superdrive and it runs great...runs fast..apps do seem to open faster...i think expose alone is would the upgrade.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

serranot
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 06:10 PM

I have owned both a 700mhz and a 1ghz eMac. I would get the cheaper one. The 1ghz is a little faster, but not by leaps and bounds.
T-bob

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2003, 07:31 AM

I'd go for the 1Ghz. It'll be faster, and it would come with Panther, I would think. Do they both have the same hard drive and optical drive options?

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 08:13 AM

Thanks, all, for help.

Icruise--I think both have a 40gb hard drive. The 1ghz has a Combo drive whereas the 800 only has a CD drive.

BTW some of the sites say that the eMacs use SO-DIMMs, like the iBook, Apple's site seems to say that they use plain PC 133 DIMMs. Anyone who's put some in recently can tell me?

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 09:27 PM

eMacs do not use notebook memory, they use regular desktop memory (unlike the iMac). This is good as it is cheaper (in this case, dirt cheap) and both memory slots or user accessible so you can go up to 1GB (unlike the iMac). Here is what you'd need to buy (from Crucial):

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...z%29&submit=Go

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2003, 10:16 PM

.... and to add to what StiZeven linked: use the coupon code BBUSERGROUP to drop the price by 5% from Crucial. Makes the 84.99 512mb cost 80.74. Use StiZeven's link ... he hooked you up with the CL2 ram which is better than CL3 and costs the same.

Also, both Pixlet and iChat AV's "enhanced" mode require a 1Ghz G4 or greater. These should be added incentive to go with the 1Ghz -- don't buy a computer that is already inadequate for existing software.

Money pending, I hope to buy a new 1Ghz eMac Combo model with 80gb hd in the near future ... my only concern being that the fan noise will drive me nuts after nearly 4 years of silence with iMac DVs.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 11:02 PM

Thanks StiZeven and Krusty for the help.

Have there been reports here of the eMacs being noisy?? I ask because I went from a TiBook 550 a year ago to a Dual 867 PowerMac and the noise drove me crazy. So I sold it and bought an iBook (!) which is beautifully quiet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules