Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger boot/restart time...impressive!

Tiger boot/restart time...impressive!
dpfenninger
Forum Regular
May 21, 2005, 09:20 PM

One very obvious improvement in Tiger for me has been boot up times. Just did an informal measurement:

Time from pushing power button to appearance of gray Apple logo: 22 seconds.
Time from gray Apple logo to Finder being active: 19 seconds.

That's 41 seconds from power up to the Finder (on a 20" 1.8GHz iMac G5 with 768MB RAM). Same timing applies for restarts as well.

Apple has really done a nice job in this area...Panther wasn't slow, but it took noticeably longer. AND I have "Set Date & Time Automatically" set in System Preferences, so it's probably taking a second or two to connect to the time servers...take that off and it'll probably go even faster.

Overall I've been impressed with Tiger. Yes, it has its glitches (my user interface sound effects, like the trash empty sound, don't play after waking from sleep...have to restart coreaudio in Activity Monitor to get them back), but it's a very nice upgrade nonetheless.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 09:47 PM

i see the same improvement. sadly, i don't shut down my computer very often
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules