Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Demographics: Who Buys Clothing Online?

Demographics: Who Buys Clothing Online?
tavilach
Mac Elite
May 27, 2007, 08:22 PM

I am having a lot of trouble finding current (i.e. post-2005/4) data regarding who buys clothing online. I've looked at many different market research sources, Google, etc., and all I can find is that:

- People under the age of 35 are more likely to purchase clothing than older people
- For people over 18, the people in the 18-24 range have a 22% online clothing sales market share, and the people in the 25 - 34 range have a 31% market share
- 58% of all transactions online are performed by women between the ages of 25 - 45 (which means that women buy more clothing online than men)
- Teens (and others) often use the Internet as a means of exploration, and then make their purchases offline

I am missing some key data. First of all, while teens use the Internet as a means of exploration, I'm sure that they also spend a great deal of cash on clothes (online). Yet, I can't find data that relates their spending to that of older people.

I'd really appreciate some help! I'm running out of things to type into Google, but maybe you all have some ideas? Again, this is specific to online clothing purchasers.

Thanks .
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2007, 09:47 PM

Ask yourself: Who used to buy clothing from catalogues? Same answer.

Teens go to the mall to buy clothes. That way, they get to hang with their buddies and check out hotties while they're at it.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Cipher13
May 27, 2007, 11:13 PM

Can't help you, apart from saying I don't, and nobody I know does.

Cold Warrior
May 27, 2007, 11:50 PM

Purses and accessories crap may count as clothing, hence chicks being more comfortable ordering it because they don't have to try it on (bypassing the classic randomness of their displayed item sizes).

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2007, 01:06 AM

I buy a lot of t-shirts online, jeans/pants sometimes. Some hats, shoes, socks..

So often there are really nice deals online, and I never have problems with sizing or whatever.
ice

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2007, 02:22 AM

I buy some clothes online, but usually I go to a physical store (or rather a few physical stores).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 02:53 AM

I doubt teens spend a lot of money online on clothes. 1) they don't have credit cards, and 2) they tend to want instant gratification, and waiting for clothes to arrive in the mail takes time.

As for me, I am a 25- to 34-year-old male. I tend to buy from physical stores so I know the exact shades of colors of my clothing and to see what they look like on my body before I buy.

Except for chino pants. Banana Republic has the best chinos, but it does not sell them in my size in its stores--damn my slender waist--so I buy them from its Web site. (And other items too when Banana Republic sends me one of its Web-only coupons.)
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Forum Links
Forum Rules