Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Lion on retina 13"

Lion on retina 13"
PB2K
Mac Elite
May 5, 2013, 05:44 AM

Hi, I use a 15" retina at work, but want to replace it with a 13" retina. We use Lion company wide so I must use that too, x.8 is no option.

I can't figure out where to start, I do not have Lion on a dvd and the internetrecovery on the 13r" only gives the Mountain Lion option.

I have tried to do a carbon copy clone (Mac Backup Software - Carbon Copy Cloner) of the Lion 15" retina, but then it results in a stopsign on the 13".
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

OreoCookie
May 5, 2013, 06:27 AM

Older OS almost never work on machines that were released with a newer OS. So I think you're out of luck. (Your company is out of mind, Mountain Lion is much better than Lion in my opinion.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2013, 06:42 AM

Certification takes time, though, and businesses move slowly, as if their livelihood depended upon it.
Which it does.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2013, 07:17 AM

There shouldn't be much issue with switching to 10.8. The differences are not vast.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
May 5, 2013, 11:08 AM

We use a bunch of legace scripts and apps that really dont work on ML, I hope I was clear on needing Lion and not having the option of ML.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2013, 02:36 PM

Yes, you were clear.

No chance.

P
May 5, 2013, 05:15 PM

Your chances of porting those scripts are significantly higher than getting 10.7 to run on a Mac it does not have drivers for.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2013, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Your chances of porting those scripts are significantly higher than getting 10.7 to run on a Mac it does not have drivers for.
Unfortunately, he probably has only slightly more control over the scripts, than he does over the missing drivers.

Start giving your IT department daily calls until they adapt the scripts (or block your number), I say.

OreoCookie
May 6, 2013, 12:02 AM

If it's legacy stuff that's holding you back, just remind your company that they will not be able to add or replace any of their Macs if they stick to that. They'll have to adapt the scripts eventually, better start doing it now.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2013, 03:03 AM

Well thanks so far, can I get a clean Lion installation (disk) from anywhere?

P
May 6, 2013, 04:03 AM

You can make one yourself on any Lion-using Mac using a USB drive and the Recovery Assistant from here.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ChrisF
Senior User
May 7, 2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
You can make one yourself on any Lion-using Mac using a USB drive and the Recovery Assistant from here.
But it's moot as the 13" Retina never shipped with any version of Lion, so any installer available simply won't work.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2013, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
Hi, I use a 15" retina at work, but want to replace it with a 13" retina. We use Lion company wide so I must use that too, x.8 is no option.

I can't figure out where to start, I do not have Lion on a dvd and the internetrecovery on the 13r" only gives the Mountain Lion option.

I have tried to do a carbon copy clone (Mac Backup Software - Carbon Copy Cloner) of the Lion 15" retina, but then it results in a stopsign on the 13".
Just give up. You're outta luck.

There have been rare cases where newer machines have been able to run older versions of the OS, but even then there were problems. eg. For certain iMacs, people were able to clone over an older version of the OS, and the OS worked fine for application compatibility and was totally stable... except that fan control was lost as there were no drivers to control that specific machine's fans. The iMac sounds like a vacuum cleaner if the fans are on full-blast, so that's a deal killer.

If you don't want to give up, I would consider trying installing a totally clean version of the latest Lion version on an external drive with your 15" and then try that on the 13". However, I'm 99% sure it won't work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules