Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So annoyed: Archeological Audio Endeavors

So annoyed: Archeological Audio Endeavors
The Yorkshire Rapper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2018, 06:28 PM

I bought Mac recorder second hand at yard sale, a steal for 30 bucks. The guy said it needs MacOS 7 or later and a serial port which I have.

But…. The Soundedit app has a big x on it.

If anyone has any ideas let me know.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 2, 2018, 07:12 PM

More detail would help - is this a PCI or NuBus card? A piece of software, or a complete Mac worstation?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2018, 08:13 PM

I think it’s one of these...

Full-on old school.

It’s a serial AD converter with a little condenser mic. Requires its own software.

The Yorkshire Rapper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2018, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I think it’s one of these...

Full-on old school.

It’s a serial AD converter with a little condenser mic. Requires its own software.
Yes, thats it.

I can't event work out where to plug it in, i'm usually pretty good with computers, I guess i'm getting old. I have tried to call Farallon Computing on the provider number, but it doesn't even ring.

Any idea's on getting Sounedit to run?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 3, 2018, 02:24 AM

Still need details. What model computer are you using it on, with what OS version? Are you trying to run it under Classic?

Sounds like it plugs into an old-style Mac serial port. That would require an old-world Mac up through the platinum desktop G3. Though there was an adapter that replaced the modem port with a serial port on the B&W G3 and early G4s.

If subego's right, it needs it's own software, running under OS 7 through 9.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2018, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by The Yorkshire Rapper View Post
Yes, thats it.

I can't event work out where to plug it in, i'm usually pretty good with computers, I guess i'm getting old. I have tried to call Farallon Computing on the provider number, but it doesn't even ring.

Any idea's on getting Sounedit to run?
Farallon was pretty awesome. They made “PhoneNet” dongles, which were so much better than Apple’s AppleNet hardware, the rumor is that’s what they used in Cupertino. They became Netopia (I think my ISDN modem was from them), which Motorola bought and killed. SoundEdit got sold to Macromedia, so Adobe bought and killed that.

IIRC, plugs into either the printer or modem port.

As for getting SoundEdit to run, I have no idea. Maybe drop to System 6? Maybe see if there’s a copy that’ll work sitting in some internet abandonware archive?

What version is it?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2018, 06:14 AM

You don’t say what machine you’re using.

If it’s an iMac, you need to cut a hole in the back panel to add a serial connector, which you can solder directly to the USB I/O chip (pin assignments can be sourced via Slashdot).

Then, it’s just a question of adapting and compiling some open-source *nix drivers for the interface (again, Slashdot will be your resource of choice here).

If you’re using a laptop or aren’t comfortable cutting aluminium, you will need a Keyspan serial to USB adapter (via Radio Shack or AOL Marketplace).

SoundEdit works fine. Your OS install is broken. You need to buy a System 7 Box Set and install from the floppy disks (use Remote Disc via Wi-Fi if your Mac has no floppy drive).

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2018, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Radio Shack
This is where it became too obvious.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2018, 05:31 AM

This is where it became too obvious.
Not for someone claiming to be from Yorkshire.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2018, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You don’t say what machine you’re using.

If it’s an iMac, you need to cut a hole in the back panel to add a serial connector, which you can solder directly to the USB I/O chip (pin assignments can be sourced via Slashdot).

Then, it’s just a question of adapting and compiling some open-source *nix drivers for the interface (again, Slashdot will be your resource of choice here).

If you’re using a laptop or aren’t comfortable cutting aluminium, you will need a Keyspan serial to USB adapter (via Radio Shack or AOL Marketplace).

SoundEdit works fine. Your OS install is broken. You need to buy a System 7 Box Set and install from the floppy disks (use Remote Disc via Wi-Fi if your Mac has no floppy drive).
Sorry I'm on iMac 4 gigabits, can't cut it, no way!
I have a 4 x USB, which is a "universal" serial port, so this should work out of the box, I cannot really believe the Mac Recorder serial port works on all serial ports apart from the "universal" one. I can't even take it to the mac store because I lost the key for the the Kensington.

I'm a bit frustrated about this, I want to record my daughters concert tape, why is this stuff so hard LOL!.

Any other ideas?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2018, 06:56 AM

Oh, dear...

All “serial” means is “one bit at a time”.

A serial port and the Universal Serial Bus are totally different things except for the part where they both only communicate one bit at a time. The first thing Steve did when he returned to Apple was kill the floppy drive and the serial port.

The good news is all iMacs have built in audio input, can record in higher quality than a MacRecorder, and in stereo. If this is to record a tape, all that’s needed hardware-wise is a cheap 3.5mm to RCA cable.

One of these:

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2018, 06:56 PM

LMAO.

-t

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2018, 01:29 AM

Oh, dear...

All “serial” means is “one bit at a time”.

A serial port and the Universal Serial Bus are totally different things except for the part where they both only communicate one bit at a time. The first thing Steve did when he returned to Apple was kill the floppy drive and the serial port.

The good news is all iMacs have built in audio input, can record in higher quality than a MacRecorder, and in stereo. If this is to record a tape, all that’s needed hardware-wise is a cheap 3.5mm to RCA cable.

One of these:

Wow thats amazing, I got one from Argos and it worked, just like that, I used quicktime to record it.
I guess the macrecorder is going in the bin!

I have now recorded the tape in, but its just the sound not the picture, I want to see the concert too, any ideas?

avnisharma15
Banned
Jun 5, 2018, 03:19 AM

Mac is nice click here to check about it
Link removed.
( Last edited by Thorzdad; Jun 5, 2018 at 07:37 AM. Reason: spam)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2018, 06:39 AM

The spam post just so nicely rounds off this thread...

andi*pandi
Jun 5, 2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by The Yorkshire Rapper View Post
I have now recorded the tape in, but its just the sound not the picture, I want to see the concert too, any ideas?
You could try a quicktake camera. However, that serial adapter issue comes up.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 5, 2018, 09:50 AM

In '96 our ELP room had one of those cameras, along with one of the few PPP internet connections in the school. On a Performa 5300.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2018, 12:40 AM

I still had my Performa 6290 up until a couple of years ago. Good times.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2018, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
You could try a quicktake camera. However, that serial adapter issue comes up.

They look awesome, but are way too expensive for me, there is a Connectix Quickcam colour on Ebay for 32 quid - would this do it?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I still had my Performa 6290 up until a couple of years ago. Good times.
Oh gawd, Performa 5200 was my first Mac.
What a dog it was, but at the same time, exciting.

Things really got interesting with OS X 10.0 Ran it on my iBook ( Dual USB). Tha5’s when good times started for me

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules