Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RIP Alan Bean, astronaut and artist

RIP Alan Bean, astronaut and artist
Thorzdad
May 26, 2018, 03:24 PM

The fourth human to walk on the Moon died today.

Bean's passing leaves us with only four moon walkers still living.

reader50
Administrator
May 26, 2018, 03:42 PM

We're taking too long to get back there.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 29, 2018, 05:30 AM

I really hope we never get to the point where there is no one alive who has walked on the moon. But I suspect that we will.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 2, 2018, 05:55 PM

Alan Bean was a wonderfully interesting person. He lacked the "test pilot" ego of most astronauts, but he was so thoroughly involved in what he did that he was instrumental, probably essential, in the success of Apollo 12.

When the spacecraft was struck by lightning TWICE during the launch, most of the power systems shut down - appropriately, to protect the spacecraft. But that meant the entire navigation system needed to be restarted, and that required careful celestial navigation. Yes, the Apollo spacecraft had a sextant (a pretty fancy one), but which stars would give them the best fix for the most accurate startup for the navigation system?

Bean suggested which stars to use because he - in his free time - would do star sightings in the simulator just to get experience with the systems. They worked perfectly, and our second lunar landing mission succeeded. Here's the story.

My life's mission is to be interviewed on the centennial of the Apollo 11 landing (on whatever takes over for what we call TV today) and to be rational and coherent in explaining how it felt for someone to set foot on another celestial body for the FIRST TIME EVER after only a few years of effort. Shaming? YOU BET! The question is whether I'll be shaming a couple of generations, or all of them up to that date...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules