Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > White-on-black

White-on-black
Sage
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 09:28 PM

I switch back and forth between regular black-on-white and the inverted white-on-black views, since my eyes are rather sensitive (but not so much that I'd put up with looking at the inverted look all the time). However, when I use the keyboard shortcut, it not only inverts the screen, but also sets it to grayscale... is there a way to use the shortcut and only have it inverted? I couldn't find anything in System Preferences to do that (aside from actually clicking the buttons, which defeats the point � I want to be able to do it without opening SP.)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2004, 10:37 PM

Has it always done this that you know of? I'm thinking this may be a system bug or something...

Sage  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 11:16 PM

Well, I've only just started doing this recently, so as far as I know, I guess the answer is yes.

When I hit the shortcut, it switches to a normal invert for a split second, then shifts the invert to grayscale (so that it's both inverted and grayscale). Basically, it switches to inverted grayscale with a flash of color in the first half second.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2004, 01:00 AM

I think that particular shortcut has always gone to the grayscale, but I could've sworn that Command+Option+Control+7 used to do just what you were asking about, but as far as I can tell it no longer does. I may be mistaken or it may have been pulled from the most recent versions of the OS.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

yukon
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 03:44 AM

you can put it into colour by going to the Display menu and changing it to colours. of course, it might get uglier, with oranges and yellows everywhere. this was possible in 10.2 at least, I got sick of the inverted view as it made images, video, etc look like crap....still no high-contrast white-on-black theme that's decent.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2004, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by yukon:
you can put it into colour by going to the Display menu and changing it to colours.
The original poster didn't want to open System Preferences to accomplish this...

york28
Senior User
Jul 30, 2004, 04:27 PM

And...BAM.

Inverts by clicking on it's dock icon.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

Sage  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 05:33 PM

Well, that would work fine and dandy, but it also inverts the fonts' sub-pixel-colors, so the fonts look downright awful (Apple's inverting doesn't do this).

sandman
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2004, 09:59 PM

I was just thinking, I wonder if it would be possible to make just a circle that radiates from the curser or pointer that has inverted colors within that circle...

Think black torchlight that moves across the screen that "inverse illuminates" accross the screen. I think this could be pretty sweet if done properly and would keep your screen looking normal and still provide the functionality of white-on-black text for users that find these colors eaisers on the eyes.

What do you think, possible future feature?
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

yukon
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 09:43 PM

Good idea sandman, but perhaps better in reverse. Reducing eyestrain by inverting the majority of colors (Aqua is a very bright interface), and having the ability to change areas back with the cursor, not for readability but to view images in normal color.

Still, if Apple could invert the colours entirely, but leave images and video alone.....white text on a black background.....I think I'll take another look at how Shapeshifter is doing despite the memory patching.....

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2004, 10:26 AM

I have filed a bug report with Apple about this, rdar://3749247

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
I have filed a bug report with Apple about this, rdar://3749247
Is it possible to view other people's bug reports again? Or is it still all internal?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
Is it possible to view other people's bug reports again? Or is it still all internal?
Internal still as far as I know (which is stupid IMHO)...

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Internal still as far as I know (which is stupid IMHO)...
Well from their point of view it was a good choice - stops them getting harassed about bug xyz not being fixed.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2004, 06:03 PM

E-mail devbugs@ to get status on bugs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules