Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Power Adapter outside of U.S.

Power Adapter outside of U.S.
Sage
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 03:40 PM

Does anybody know if the standard iPod and iBook power adapters work in Thailand? Do I need to buy a World Travel Adapter Kit?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2004, 10:14 PM

According to this page http://gayjourney.com/electricity.htm (hmm - interesting URL) the voltage is 220V which is the same as the UK - so it'll work fine - you just need a local version of the figure-of-eight plugged lead. (or an adaptor to plug your US plug into a thai socket)

Sage  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 11:23 PM

Sorry, I should've mentioned that I'm in the U.S. In that case, do I need to buy an Apple adapter that'll specifically swap out with the little corner plug on the brick, or is there such thing as an "add-on" adapter that I can put over the plug to make it work? (I'm not very learned about anything electrical related.)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 7, 2004, 12:36 PM

Either way.

The little corner plugs, which Apple bizarrely calls "duck heads", are what the world travel adapter kit is: it comes with 6 of them that cover the whole world supposedly. This is a not terribly cheap option, but it's definitely the most elegant, and the safest.

Your second idea, of an adapter plug, also exists, and generally will work fine, but sometimes those adapters can't hold up the weight of an AC adapter and it'll fall down and come unplugged.

Another thing to remember is that a standard boombox or electric shaver cord (just a cord with the "figure 8" plug on one end and the local electric plug on the other) will fit into the adapter after unplugging the duck head. Those cords are easy to find wherever you go, so you could even consider just getting that cord once you arrive.

tooki

Sage  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 01:25 PM

Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

BTW, I can see why Apple calls them "duck heads" – if you flip out the plug, then it looks like the bill of a duck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules