Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Absolutely horrendous

Absolutely horrendous
djwang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 11:48 PM

Please, go back to the old layout or something similar. I am not usually one to comment on design, as I'm well aware it can be very subjective; I'm happy to try and live with a liveable design, but the new design? It's very difficult to read (it's partly the lack of capitalization, but the fonts are not well chosen either). There is a waste of space -- why force people to a fixed width screen? The link to the layout with headline and short paragraph is hard to find -- the default home page is almost useles -- it may as well be an rss feed in a badly laid out rss program -- a list of links to pages that now take a long time to load is just plain difficult to use. Sorry to be so harsh, but I used to be able to go to "macnn.com" and get all the mac info I needed in 30 seconds, and within 4-5 minutes have all the details I need to know. Not with the new layout.

David

esXXI
Senior User
Dec 8, 2005, 12:43 AM

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 03:45 AM

Did I miss the link on the new form that allows you to discover the LEGACY option?

On other points: I'm kind of enjoying the lowercase headlines... waiting to see if it grows on me.

Yes: fixed width sux. It either wastes space, but also regarding ACCESSIBILITY: for people who need to enlarge fonts, even a larger screen cannot prevent the destruction of the attractive layout.

(It *IS* gorgeous to look at at first - but the tiny font doesn't work for me.)

PS: try Command-+ to enlarge font and see how it rips up the top navigation bar (in Safari at least).
( Last edited by Love Calm Quiet; Dec 8, 2005 at 03:52 AM. )
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2005, 09:40 PM

there is a link in the format drop down menu where you can select legacy
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 9, 2005, 12:32 PM

I would completely agree with the original poster if the MacNN staff didn't feel a need to censor the moderators, thus preventing me from giving my views. But alas, apparently moderators are not allowed to state their opinions.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 9, 2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
I would completely agree with the original poster if the MacNN staff didn't feel a need to censor the moderators, thus preventing me from giving my views. But alas, apparently moderators are not allowed to state their opinions.
Ah squabbling amongst the ranks.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2005, 02:26 PM

There's way too much wasted space on the new home page. If you don't want to go back to the old one, at least spread things out some. I'm glad I stopped to enter this, as I'll be using the bookmark to the legacy page.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2005, 04:50 PM

---

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2005, 06:56 PM

So how do you really feel about the change?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2005, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by esXXI
Ahhhh... much better. Thx.
The BNG (Bold New Graphics) version of NN lost it's shine very quickly, nice to have the old functional NN back in my bookmarks.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

siMac
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2005, 06:57 AM

I agree, the new default 'portal' view is not very well laid out. However I quite like the new 'news + headlines' layout, apart from the fixed width concerns.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2005, 08:03 AM

I like the old one much, much better.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2005, 11:03 AM

Pretty sad that in all the time it took to come up with a new design this was the best they could do. I use the legacy format and will continue to do so.

Sosa
Senior User
Dec 10, 2005, 11:24 AM

The new layout makes the un-Apple-like mistake of placing aesthetics ahead of practicality, to the detriment of readers. I will now change my homepage to legacy....
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 10, 2005, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
Just to make something clear, "MacNN staff" does not include us volunteers, who were not consulted on this matter.

tooki

malson
Senior User
Dec 11, 2005, 12:52 AM

I'm glad that they finally changed the headlines to not be lower-case. But, changing the text of each news article to italics was a bad decision. It makes it very difficult to read.
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 11, 2005, 02:04 AM

Yikes! I think that's a bug. And if you look at macnn.com, the all-lowercase categories are all there. And throughout the site, lowercase is used extensively, e.g. for dates/weekdays.

tooki

malson
Senior User
Dec 11, 2005, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Yikes! I think that's a bug. And if you look at macnn.com, the all-lowercase categories are all there. And throughout the site, lowercase is used extensively, e.g. for dates/weekdays.

tooki
I guess that I should have mentioned that I was using the www.macnn.com/news page instead of the portal. I don't mind the dates and "email", "print", "afternoon edition", etc in lower case. It's just the news article titles that I need to not be lower-case. Italics are still there as of right now. Yuck!
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 10:19 PM

Got to say that I much prefer the new format. Scanning the page gives me all the headlines and I can then decide which articles to read without having to scroll down an entire page.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 08:28 AM

Been using the site for years and years, and it has been my homepage since 2000 or so...

I loved the ease of use on the front page, where you could just see the headlines clearly, and skim read them until you found something that interested you. Yes the old design was getting a bit dated, but... it worked!

I am now using http://legacy.macnn.com/, but feel resentful... due to the ridiculous fixed width feature macnn.com/news is hopeless too.

I am genuinely pained to say it, as Macnn has been a *huge* friend to me over the years, but I am really thinking of looking for a new, easy to read, user friendly mac news site to use as my homepage.

I mean, even the Newsfactor news design was better than the current offering.

*Very* disappointing.

TPC

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2005, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Just to make something clear, "MacNN staff" does not include us volunteers, who were not consulted on this matter.
Wow, the more I learn about the MacNN "organization", the more I think it's completely farked up...

-t

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 12, 2005, 11:07 AM

Well, FYI, the "misunderstanding" has now been worked out and the gag order nullified.

tooki

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Dec 12, 2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by djwang
Please, go back to the old layout or something similar. I am not usually one to comment on design, as I'm well aware it can be very subjective; I'm happy to try and live with a liveable design, but the new design? It's very difficult to read (it's partly the lack of capitalization, but the fonts are not well chosen either). There is a waste of space -- why force people to a fixed width screen? The link to the layout with headline and short paragraph is hard to find -- the default home page is almost useles -- it may as well be an rss feed in a badly laid out rss program -- a list of links to pages that now take a long time to load is just plain difficult to use. Sorry to be so harsh, but I used to be able to go to "macnn.com" and get all the mac info I needed in 30 seconds, and within 4-5 minutes have all the details I need to know. Not with the new layout.
I think the people working on the design are aware that many people agree with you about several of those points. As for your complaints about the portal page, you currently have two options (other than just dealing with a design you don't like or leaving entirely; you'd like to avoid the former and we'd like to avoid the latter):

(a) Set the "blog-style" news feed to your default. You'll never see the portal again (assuming you're on the same machine, anyway; otherwise you'll have to go to macnn.com/news). This page is still fixed width (which I think they're working on), but it has the familiar layout, the article blurbs, and the normal capitalization. The content should be what you're looking for.

(b) Use legacy.macnn.com. This is just the old page.

Just thought I'd clear up that you do NOT need to always go to the portal first and then to the blog-style page. You can set either one as your default. That said, I think everyone knows there are design choices that many people don't care for, so hopefully enough of those will get resolved soon enough.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

sunriser
Dec 12, 2005, 02:40 PM

back to the legacy homepage. i'm glad i found out this thread before deleting macnn from my bookmark.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Dec 12, 2005, 06:14 PM

"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules