Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > RAM and buying ?

RAM and buying ?
Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2006, 10:23 PM

so i am pretty set on buying a mid 2004 dual 2ghz g5 from a member of this forum. It has the 9800xt, how is this card? i see tht it was the best card available, how would it perform in aperture?
next question has to do with ram. i see that this system takes ddr400(pc3200) ram, which happens to be the same ram that m old pc took. I have had 2x512 of kingston ram lying around, and its ben collecting dust. Literally, it hasnt been in a bag or anything, its just been out. would this be ok to use, compatability wise and condition wise?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Karpfish
so i am pretty set on buying a mid 2004 dual 2ghz g5 from a member of this forum. It has the 9800xt, how is this card?
It wasn't the best card. It's a mid-class card. The best is the Radeon X800XT or Geforce 6800 Ultra. The Radeon 9800XT is a decent card. That's what I had before I traded it out for a Radeon X800XT. It's good at games and 3D graphics.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2006, 02:15 AM

That was the best card at launch, nearly 3 years ago.

The RAM would be fine; probably want to dust it off first.

I still think you're much better off putting the RAM in your iMac.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 06:48 PM

Prepurchase verify what the max RAM is that the box will take, and beware the low end G5s that max out at 4 GB RAM.

-Allen Wicks

windows_sucks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2006, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Karpfish
so i am pretty set on buying a mid 2004 dual 2ghz g5 from a member of this forum. It has the 9800xt, how is this card? i see tht it was the best card available, how would it perform in aperture?
next question has to do with ram. i see that this system takes ddr400(pc3200) ram, which happens to be the same ram that m old pc took. I have had 2x512 of kingston ram lying around, and its ben collecting dust. Literally, it hasnt been in a bag or anything, its just been out. would this be ok to use, compatability wise and condition wise?
Just curious..how much are you paying for this dual 2.0....have you looked into the dual 2.0 Mac Pro's...
Mac Pro Dual 2.0 with 1Gig of Ram, 250Gb Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT 256mb will cost you 2199.00...if you get it with the student discount then it will cost you 2029.00....

just thought you may want to look it...if you are paying 300-400 dollars more for newer technolgy with a better graphics card ..then why not...

Forum Links
Forum Rules