Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWeb blog questions

iWeb blog questions
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2007, 11:09 PM

I'm using iWeb to build myself a website. It's a simple site, but I would like to have a blog on it. I don't plan to use .Mac to host the site, as a friend is donating hosting space for free. My question is: will I have to upload (a) new page(s) to the server every time I want to add an entry to the blog, or is there an easier way?
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2007, 12:45 AM

Pretty much, yes. Using iWeb without .Mac is near pointless. Not only is there the upload issue, but some features (such as comments) aren't available without .Mac.

Do yourself a favor, if your friend has offered you space and it has a MySQL database, just install WordPress and you'll be MUCH happier. Or if that isn't your cup of tea, you can just use Blogger.com - Blogger will allow you to use your own Web site to publish to and is MUCH more flexible than iWeb.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

Seattle
Feb 14, 2007, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
I'm using iWeb to build myself a website. It's a simple site, but I would like to have a blog on it. I don't plan to use .Mac to host the site, as a friend is donating hosting space for free. My question is: will I have to upload (a) new page(s) to the server every time I want to add an entry to the blog, or is there an easier way?
I have been using iWeb for my blog for almost a year. I do not use .Mac for hosting so everytime I make a new blog entry I have to publish the whole site again to a folder. After publishing I copy the files to the server. The thing I do not like is that the publishing is taking a long time. I use a iMac G4 1.0 Ghz and it take 35-40 mins to publish (My domain file is 540 mb). I took a copy of my domain file to the Apple store and tested it on a new iMac 24" and it only took 5 mins to publish.

Here is a link to my blog if you want to take a look.

www.puppybark.com

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2007, 01:58 PM

I agree with MacDog. iWeb is just about the worst tool ever to use for a blog, especially if you don't have dotMac.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2007, 04:52 PM

Trust me Don, give Blogger a shot. It's VERY easy to set up, very fast, and you can publish from any computer with an internet connection. Same goes for WordPress.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by MacDog View Post
Trust me Don, give Blogger a shot. It's VERY easy to set up, very fast, and you can publish from any computer with an internet connection. Same goes for WordPress.
Hmm. I might try and give Blogger a shot. I'm using iWeb because web stuff isn't my baliwick, so I'm trying to start small and go from there. Once I get the site up and get some experience under my belt I will probably be able to switch to better tools (assuming Apple doesn't make substantial improvements to iWeb for iLife '07).
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules