Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport menu extra not working

Airport menu extra not working
Sage
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 01:25 AM

I just installed the latest Airport and Security updates (yeah, I’m a little late) for my MacBook. However, now my Airport menu extra won’t work – it shows Airport as being off, even though it’s clearly on (I’ve checked in Sys Prefs) and I can access my network just fine. I’ve tried turning off the card and then turning it back on, I’ve tried disabling and then re-enabling the menu extra, I’ve tried logging into a different, untouched account, and I’ve tried restarting – all to no avail.

Any ideas?

Sage  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 11:48 AM

Please?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 6, 2007, 09:42 PM

What do you mean by "AirPort menu extra?" I'm lost here.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2007, 10:56 PM

Is this thread a confused version of this thread: http://forums.macnn.com/92/networkin...reless-doesnt/

or this one:

http://forums.macnn.com/92/networkin...irport-signal/

(By the way, where should I have put the question mark? I couldn't find a place that didn't look out out place with the links and all. Help, MLA or Chicago Manual of Style, where is the section on internet forms?)
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Sage  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 12:23 AM

Here’s a screenshot of what I’m talking about (click to expand):

By “Airport menu extra”, I’m referring to the Airport icon in the menubar – notice that it shows that Airport is off, yet I can use the internet just fine, and the Network prefpane in System Preferences states that Airport is connected. When I try to choose “Turn Airport On” in the menubar (as I’ve shown highlighted), nothing happens. The window on the left is Internet Connect – when I click on “Turn Airport Off”, nothing happens. Click on “Connect”, nothing happens. And notice the “Status not available” text.
( Last edited by Sage; Feb 7, 2007 at 12:30 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 7, 2007, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sage
By “Airport menu extra”, I’m referring to the Airport icon in the menubar...
You'll see that there are a number of threads on this-all referring to the AirPort ICON not reporting correctly. So far there's no definitive answer here, and since I don't have that kind of Mac myself (I have one of the last of the Core Duo MBPs), I can't see it happen or tinker with it to see what causes/helps it.
Originally Posted by tinkered
Thanks for the heads up and clarification! I wouldn't have thought of that myself!
Originally Posted by tinkered
(By the way, where should I have put the question mark? I couldn't find a place that didn't look out out place with the links and all. Help, MLA or Chicago Manual of Style, where is the section on internet forms?)
I'd put the question mark after the tags that make a link hot (or space after the URL and then enter the question mark). You think MLA and CMS don't help? Try APA!!!! Yikes!!!!!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

gmsmith
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2007, 06:38 PM

I am seeing the same behavior...with a MacBook after the latest updates

gmsmith
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2007, 08:00 PM

Fixed mine...

Just replace the /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework file with a fresh copy and restart

If you need a fresh copy, send me a PM and I can pando one to you.

Greg

Christofer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 08:26 PM

The solution has arrived! (Without the need of haxxing in the System folder.)

After much grief and bad thoughts about re-installing the whole OS, I looked trough the latest Mac OS X updates, and found the "AirPort Extreme Update 2007-001". Download and re-install the package and your loved Airport menu shall, as the great Phoenix, rise from the dead to once again shine in it's full glory! (Do this even if you don't specifically have an Airport Extreme.)

gmsmith
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2007, 08:30 PM

The solution has arrived! (Without the need of haxxing in the System folder.)
Please...hardly haxxing the System Folder, what the hell do you think that installer does?

Christofer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by gmsmith View Post
Please...hardly haxxing the System Folder, what the hell do you think that installer does?
I guess my irony didn't shine through then...

If people think getting a fresh copy from you is better than an official installer, then fine, but I would never recommend anyone that solution when there is an easy offical "fix" that works.

Forum Links
Forum Rules