Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > which one is your video camera?

which one is your video camera?
zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2003, 04:18 PM

I plan to buy one myself in a couple of weeks, but I d like to hear from you first, might give me some ideas!...

So, which model and the good and bad (if any) of it! ;o)

CIA
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 06:23 PM

I have a panasonic AG-DVX100. Mostly used for commercial shoots. Looks nice in iChatAV tho. Love the camera for it's 24P ability. Saves a lot of telecine time. Also the 30p is nice. What's this about a consumer grade HD Camera that records on MiniDV Tape....? Hmmm.....

If you are just muckin' around, get a Canon ZR50. The're cheap and actually have pretty good image quality.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by CIA:

If you are just muckin' around, get a Canon ZR50. The're cheap and actually have pretty good image quality.
I'll second that recommendation. I have a ZR40 and am very impressed with it. It doesn't do low light very well, though: the video is rather grainy under those conditions. It more than takes up the slack in well-lit conditions.

Recently, I've been using it to archive some VHS tapes to DVD via iMovie and iDVD and the quality has essentially been as good as if I was playing the VHS tape directly to my TV. There is a new generation of Canon ZR camcorders now, but I don't know the specs.

neilxu
Jul 4, 2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by TheBum:
I'll second that recommendation. I have a ZR40 and am very impressed with it. It doesn't do low light very well, though: the video is rather grainy under those conditions. It more than takes up the slack in well-lit conditions.
what about ZR60? I found ZR60 is $360 on buydig.com. Is it unexpensive? (Sorry, I have no idea about video camera)

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by neilxu:
what about ZR60? I found ZR60 is $360 on buydig.com. Is it unexpensive? (Sorry, I have no idea about video camera)
Here is a review of the ZR65.

Quite a good price, I think. Buy a long life battery (BP-522) and use a tripod indoors.

Have fun.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

zubro  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2003, 08:10 AM

thanks guyz!

I apreciate your help there....

But I dont know wich way to go...

Amazing this:
http://www.madprojects.com/panasonic/lowlight.html

But a little costy! ;o)

I thought about a JVC GR-DVP9, it s so small and I read some good reviews about it...
But again, my unextended knoledge in this area might be a major problem!... I liked it for it s size, and the specs looks ok...
http://jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=GR-D...e76868711f2068

I dont know how "far" it is from a PRO cam, but again, I don t want to run in beta eather! ;o)

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2003, 01:35 PM

I love my ZR20. We bought it a year and a half ago for $500, now you can buy them all day long for $200 on Ebay! Amazing how prices have changed. In 98 my Hi8 camera cost $1000!

$$$$$$

makkystyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by zubro:

I thought about a JVC GR-DVP9, it s so small and I read some good reviews about it...
But again, my unextended knoledge in this area might be a major problem!... I liked it for it s size, and the specs looks ok...
http://jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=GR-D...e76868711f2068

I dont know how "far" it is from a PRO cam, but again, I don t want to run in beta eather! ;o)
I haven't used this model, but I had it's predecessor the DVM-90 which was top of the line when I purchased it and from my experience will not be purchasing any JVC video products in the near future. This is solely from my own experience because I know people who swear by JVC.

Personally I have been most impressed by canon and sony for consumer DV cameras. They make several models which are very "pocketable" and won't break the bank.

Lordx_
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2003, 03:00 PM

Main camera..

Sony PD150

and my back up camera...

Sony VX2000

Two of the best cameras I have ever owned/used. And I've used a lot.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 03:02 PM

Has anyone used the Canon Optura 20 (or 10)? I've been looking at these, and they seem to be pretty good for the money (~$650 with shipping/tax from respectable online sources for the Optura 20). I used one for a little bit at the Apple store near here, and it seemed pretty nice. Fairly compact (especially compared to the GL2 next to it, which is a bit over my price range) and the video quality seemed quite good. The apple stores are lit like hospitals, though, so that's not exactly average lighting conditions. Anyone recommend this camera?

SuperHard
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2003, 02:43 PM

I have the Optura Pi which is a fantastic camera. Color rendition, useability, focus speed, etc are all great, but Its single greatest feature is has optical image stabilization (the lens in housed in a liquid casing, not to be confused with "image stabilization" which is a digital incarnation) so even hand held shots with careful stepping, or shots from the car, appear incredibly stable. When I show my movie to friends familiar with hand held video shooting, they always comment after seeing such steady images that they "really should carry a tripod", and then I tell them it was hand held. Unfortunately, I don't think the later versions have Optical image stabilization. If your familiar with home movies, then you know that jumpy footage may induce motion sickness to the audience. In general, I am extremely pleased with Canon's digital cameras - really very nice. If I were going to buy a camera today, I would definitely get a camera with optical image stabilization but I worry it may now only be available on very large cameras.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2003, 12:01 AM

The Pi is a great camera. I search on eBay for 'em a bit, but haven't pulled the trigger.

The Optura 200 (or any of the Opturas other than the 10/20) has optical stabilization--as does original Elura (not the 2, 2MC, 10 or 20MC). Spend the extra bucks--I wish I did (though the Pi at the time was $500 more than the ZR-10 that I purchased).
( Last edited by scottiB; Jul 10, 2003 at 12:12 AM. )
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2003, 12:58 AM

yeah, i was leaning towards the Optura 200, mainly because of the optical stabilization, but the cheapest it can be found online is around $750 with shipping... a bit on the expensive side. Also, i much prefer the horizontal orientation of the Optura 10/20 than the vertical orientation of the 200... I guess it all depends on how much the parents contribute, though

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2003, 01:03 AM

I've always been a Canon fan. Especially when it comes to the consumer gear. Today I got this, however:

$2000 US

It does naitive 16:9, got 3 CCDs, pretty small considering how powerful it is. Takes 1.07 megapixel stills onto Sony MemorySticks. It has a touch screen (3.5" active matrix beautiful LCD) It also has a really decent shotgun mic on a vibration-isolated mount (cutting down on the camera picking up it's own motor noises). I haven't gotten to go out and shoot anything on it yet, but here is a picture quality comparison between the PDX10 and the PD 150.

Forum Links
Forum Rules