Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Expose ripoff for Windows!

Expose ripoff for Windows! (Page 2)
Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
Any Official quote ?
http://www.jefraskin.com/forjef2/jef...hed/holes.html

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 08:53 PM

Wasn't Netscape a 'rip-off' of NCSA Mosaic?

We could play this game all day.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2004, 11:55 PM

I think it's cool. Kind of ugly though. Now I might actually be able to hide the taskbar and not have that interfere with work. If it's criminal, I'm getting it before they go under.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:

Yeah !
We are all a part of a ripoff

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
How did you take the picture with both hands on the tablet?

iNeusch: good point, are you an alien ? where is your 3rd arm ?

Nonsuch: He used his Borg ocular implant.

No, I'm not a Borg! (Though I really wouldn't mind if Jeri Ryan or the Vulcan one made sure.)

This might give it away...

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by michaelb:
No, I'm not a Borg! (Though I really wouldn't mind if Jeri Ryan or the Vulcan one made sure.)

You still need to push the button

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
You still need to push the button
Nah, actually Jolene Blalock (that's who the Vulcan one is) comes over and presses the shutter. And off the set of Enterprise she is even hotter:

->

Or she could just say "get lost geek and use the self-timer..."

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 07:22 AM

Ok, that's all good and well, but which part of your anatomy are you holding the camera with this time?!
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

xe0
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2004, 10:02 AM

According to the short description thx to michaelb- one could assume that winExpose isn't half as good as the real thing. it seems to me that its just a bad attempt at copying Apple.

Linear Scaling
No windows are live
No Drag and Drop
Multiple window apps do not scale (aka photoshop)
Flicker when scaling
etc etc

I'm glad I have the real thing

SomeToast
Senior User
Jan 9, 2004, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
Ok, that's all good and well, but which part of your anatomy are you holding the camera with this time?!
I feel an infinite regression coming on!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2004, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by xe0:
According to the short description thx to michaelb- one could assume that winExpose isn't half as good as the real thing. it seems to me that its just a bad attempt at copying Apple.
What you seem to be forgetting, is that this is done by what appears to be a shareware-scaled developer. For some guy likely working out of his basement, I think it's pretty damn impressive.

Hydra
Senior User
Jan 9, 2004, 03:01 PM

Now you're really scaring me. We see a picture of you using both your hands while a camera magically takes a picture on a little tripod in front of you and while all this is going on you take a picture of the whole thing! You must have dexterous feet because that's more believable than Jolene doing it for you

-Jerry C.

PS, Jolene is nice isn't she

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2004, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Hydra:
Now you're really scaring me. We see a picture of you using both your hands while a camera magically takes a picture on a little tripod in front of you and while all this is going on you take a picture of the whole thing! You must have dexterous feet because that's more believable than Jolene doing it for you

-Jerry C.

PS, Jolene is nice isn't she

What you all have missed is he looks erily like John Macenroe the tennis player... or is he an alien twin from out space (as opposed to inner space)?

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
What you all have missed is he looks erily like John Macenroe the tennis player... or is he an alien twin from out space (as opposed to inner space)?
No wait! This is John Macenroe! I've always known he used Macs (and sometimes a tablet pc). (As his name would suggest if it wasn't spelled McEnroe)
And someone that used to play tennis like him has his tricks to push the button on the camera so fast that the tablet wouldn't notice the hands have been absent.
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

blixa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2004, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
You cannot be serious!

goose
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2004, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
I don't know about you guys, but that girl in the demo is pretty good looking
Heh, I was thinking down those lines as wel....

There's never enough when you have too little

Hydra
Senior User
Jan 10, 2004, 06:40 AM

OMG!!! I can't believe I missed this. I woke up here at 5:30 AM after falling asleep on the couch watching TV (it is sooooo cold here in NY right now I didn't want to go out tonight) and noticed what michaelb has as the desktop picture on his Apple LCD behind him. It is a picture of MARS!!! And it's not the same one the rover just took for NASA - it looks to be a nicer picture, dare I say a nice photo taken on a trip home not too long ago. There we have it , NASA spent 800+ Million to look for life on Mars and we have proof of life on Mars right here in our humble forums. Darn tricky Martians

-Jerry C.

mikerally
Senior User
Jan 10, 2004, 07:58 AM

The same people who created NCSA Mosaic are actually the same people who created Netscape Navigator. After the large success of Mosaic the students who wrote it decided to setup their own company called Netscape which would sell a browser they called Netscape Navigator.

bashar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 05:16 PM

what pisses me off is that they marketing calls "Programs -the windows M$ terminology" Applications- An apple rip off

Insecure bone
Banned
Jan 10, 2004, 05:48 PM

the thing here is that windows isn't based on a real time rendering platform, i mean, their windows are rendered by scaling, so you cannot really compare this mockup to the real thing. they will never have the advantage or tehcnology of os x. i sure hope apple does something about it. why did they use the same name? thats appauling!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2004, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by bashar:
what pisses me off is that they marketing calls "Programs -the windows M$ terminology" Applications- An apple rip off
Huh?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2004, 05:05 PM

Update:
WinExpose is now WinPLOSION
www.winplosion.com

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 05:22 PM

expose good is should be made avoailbe for more people to use for pay of course apple need to make money on their inventiion but my friends could use something like this on their window computers

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
Let's say BMW comes out with a 7-speed manual transmission. And then Mercedes unveils one the following year. Is that a ripoff?
No, because tractors already have 20 and more gears .

-

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2004, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
I don't know about you guys, but that girl in the demo is pretty good looking
Ok, now you got me interested...

-t

dopik
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2004, 11:32 AM

I have just been on their website and I noticed that they have changed the name of the application... it is now http://www.winplosion.com/

dopik
I am a Compulsive Software Update Button Clicker

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
I wonder if it is even real.
I think it is. Someone on XvsXP forums (go to xvsxp.com and click the forums link) said he got it to use it.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
So do the windows remain live (ie, with dynamically changing content), or are they merely static images based on the content of the window at the time it was shrunk?
Latter.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Insecure bone:
the thing here is that windows isn't based on a real time rendering platform, i mean, their windows are rendered by scaling, so you cannot really compare this mockup to the real thing. they will never have the advantage or tehcnology of os x. i sure hope apple does something about it. why did they use the same name? thats appauling!
I thought you were banned.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2004, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:

No - it was made by the same company.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by ryaxnb:
No - it was made by the same company.
You are wrong. And information about Netscape/Mosaic history is that easy to find on the web that i don't bother giving links here.

-

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2004, 09:49 PM

At least they use QuickTime on their web site.

But man what a blatant rip-off.

dru
Senior User
Jan 26, 2004, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by KraziKid:
There's a free Expose clone that has been around since when Expose was first announced. It is based on the .NET Framework. If memory serves, it is called iEx.
WindowsExposer
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

dru
Senior User
Jan 26, 2004, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
It maybe a ripoff, but it appears to work! We all know it is not as elegant as the Apple implementation, but then again, the Mac OS on the whole is elegant, and we all know that as Mac users. I would say that the use of the Expose name is unwarranted, but developing a feature for Windows that emulates a Mac feature is just plain smart! So did Apple "ripoff" WindowsXP with fast user switching?
No. Fast user switching is actually pretty common on Unix-based systems. Microsoft did not innovate this. Apple was just "late" getting around to this feature.

Everybody knows Microsoft "ripped" off most of the Apple UI, but then again, Apple signed away most of its rights way back, so it is a moot point. Was Microsoft going to continue to market MS-DOS? Come on......

Microsoft did rip off Apple thanks to a boneheaded agreement by John Scully in exchange for Mac application development. Microsoft could've continued MS-DOS or just move forward with co-developed OS/2 since it was clear more memory, longer filenames and multitasking were the future. They didn't *have to* since IBM had already done GUI work in the lab some of which was critically influencial to Apple going with the desktop metaphor filing system. This IBM influence, a concept called "Pictureworld", came out in the infamous look-and-feel lawsuit.

Apple essentially "ripped off" the basic UI of the first Mac from Xerox anyway, and then signed an agreement with MS that allowed MS access to Mac technology. With crappy lawyers and foresight, Apple got shafted in the whole "they stole our UI" thing, so all of this is getting old to the point of beating a dead horse.
Apple *licensed* the Xerox technology for stock and Xerox made a heft profit. As it is, Apple did considerable work that had nothing to do with Xerox' work. It was not a ripoff, just influenced conceptually. How the mouse worked, the menu bar, the contemporary scrollbar and other elements were *Apple* creations. Take a look at the prototypes Apple went through: Inventing the Apple Lisa Interface
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Forum Links
Forum Rules