Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How do I disable bluetooth on a 15"?

How do I disable bluetooth on a 15"?
stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 10:10 AM

My company is looking at getting some 15" powerbooks. Out IT dept does not allow Bluetooth and WiFi in the building at all. The problem is that they can't be ordered without both - believe me I tried.

Now the WiFi is not really a problem, as the card is easily removed from a trap door inside the battery well. My question is how to diable bluetooth? I've seen the take apart manual, and it looks like I would have to pull the whole top case apart.... I have taken iBooks apart before, and it's my experience that it is not fun at all.

Is there any way to disable Bluetooth in hardware? I figure software would be simple, but could be undone. Either a cable to unplug without taking the entire thing apart or possibly some open firmware command to disable it? Your help would be greatly appreciated, because otherwise we might be forced to 14" iBooks.

Tom Rudderham
May 13, 2004, 10:15 AM

When you get the Powerbooks, look for the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar (top of the screen) and turn it off from there, only takes one click!
Tom,
http://www.taranimationstudios.com/
1 Ghz TiBook (15")

stuffedmonkey  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 11:01 AM

Yes, I do realize you can disable Bluetooth in software. Do you know how to do it in hardware?

JKT
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by stuffedmonkey:
Yes, I do realize you can disable Bluetooth in software. Do you know how to do it in hardware?
Do you mean physically remove the BT chip? You'd have to get a certified tech to do that.

However, if your users don't have administration privileges, you can permanently inactivate the BT port (i.e. switch it off) in System Preferences>Network>Show: Port Configurations (uncheck the Bluetooth port):

(this is weird - it's the third time I've told this to people on this forum today )

ibook_steve
May 13, 2004, 01:40 PM

I would love to know why you are not allowed to have Bluetooth or Wifi in your building. Does your IT not want anybody to be productive when they are away from their desk?

But as stated previously, you can't remove the BT module without taking almost the entire machine apart.

Steve

stuffedmonkey  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 01:52 PM

Thank you steve.... that was what I was afraid of. I'm not sure if they will go for software, but maybe if I remove the .kext....

It's just banned as our agency has a secure building, and wireless tech (especially bluetooth!) makes them throw a fit.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2004, 05:58 PM

I guess they won't be buying any Centrino laptops either.

desvenne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2004, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
I guess they won't be buying any Centrino laptops either.
The difference being that one can order a laptop with a Pentium M (not 4M) processor, and basically have the same processor as the centrino package offers, minus the wireless chipset.

Apparently, this is not possible with the Apple powerbooks, which is unfortunate for the original poster.

Cheers.

dwood
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 09:21 PM

that just disables it as a network device, you can still use bt as a communicaition method to say a cell phone.

Just disable it in the software. When it's off it's off. The chip is not removable, and won't be anymore disabled if you removed the kext file, then if it's shut off. It's just harder to re-enable if you remove the kext.

Another option would be to turn off bluetooth, then change permissions or remove the prefpane in /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Bluetooth.prefPane

Originally posted by JKT:
Do you mean physically remove the BT chip? You'd have to get a certified tech to do that.

However, if your users don't have administration privileges, you can permanently inactivate the BT port (i.e. switch it off) in System Preferences>Network>Show: Port Configurations (uncheck the Bluetooth port):

(this is weird - it's the third time I've told this to people on this forum today )

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 13, 2004, 09:59 PM

if they feel like being nazis and not let you just disable it, then you could always remove only the cable going to the screen, which is how it gets any range at all. that way you only have to open the screen.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

porieux
Baninated
May 15, 2004, 12:46 AM

Just tell them it's disabled. IT guys don't know anything

cthree
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 01:35 AM

Yes, sure you can. I'll need to disassemble each PB and remove the logicboards. Then, with the chipset documentation in hand, take a pair of side cutters and cut the correct leads.

Make sure they do the same for the airport socket, PCMCIA and USB ports as well as adding these capabilities back in is as simple as installing a device in any of these ports.

If they are super anal they can take a utility knife and scrape away the traces on the logic board. When done, have them drill out the screw sockets and mark the with paint to show they haven't been tampered with.

If that's not good enough suggest they wallpaper each office in aluminium foil to prevent stray electromagnetic signals from leaving the building and being picked up by the Chaos van parked outside.

Best of luck.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2004, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by porieux:
Just tell them it's disabled.
Agreed. Just tell them the BT module was been removed, then simply turn it off in software. When disabled, it wont emmit any signal anyway.
As for the AirPort card, that can be removed easily by the user. Or simply do the same as with the BT module.
Unless you're going to get fired if they discover the BT chip is actually still inside the machine, I can't understand why this would be an issue.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2004, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by stuffedmonkey:
It's just banned as our agency has a secure building, and wireless tech (especially bluetooth!) makes them throw a fit.
Agency? Location = Washington, DC?
Time for a little cloak & dagger, eh?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2004, 08:42 AM

why cant you have bluetooth? surely that doesnt interfer with other devices?
we don't have time to stop for gas

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 16, 2004, 12:50 AM

make sure if you disable it in software, make the main account managed so a mac user cant how to turn it on.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 17, 2004, 01:41 PM

Lots of government agencies and contractors (especially in the defense fields) are required to run classified systems. There are very strict requirements for classified machines, such as that they may not be connected to an unsecured network. That is presumably the reason.

Even if it's not going to be classified, I can understand not wanting to allow wireless, since it's very hard to secure.

tooki

stuffedmonkey  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2004, 03:29 PM

Wow - I was not expecting to get such acusations! For the record, we aren't paranoid freaks, just as a defense contractor - we have some restrictions on wireless stuff. Bluetooth is just a lot less secure then the other wireless technologies. If you want to see paranoia - you should have seen the restrictions I used to have to live by as an Apple retail employee - makes Soviet Russia look like club med I swear to god - Steve Jobs must walk around with a tinfoil covered collandar over his head.... Wierdest company I ever worked for.

At any rate - If I can find out for sure how to disable bluetooth easily (and preferably - reverseably so as not to harm resale) I will post it here, in case there are any people out there in the same boat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules