Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Securing a new imac from being knocked over...

Securing a new imac from being knocked over...
stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2004, 11:53 AM

Does anyone here know of a good solution for securing the new iMac (or any lcd type screen for that matter) from being knocked over on a desk? I would love to be able to get one, but from the pictures it dosen't look like it would take a lot to tip it. I have 4 cats who run around the house.... My current monitor is a 21" crt - which wouldn't fall over if you tried. The thing is about 10 years old, and the picture quality and geometry are getting more and more off. I would really like to replace it.

I figure someone here must have pets/small children and a lcd monitor... Any suggestions?

jcadam
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by stuffedmonkey:
Does anyone here know of a good solution for securing the new iMac (or any lcd type screen for that matter) from being knocked over on a desk? I would love to be able to get one, but from the pictures it dosen't look like it would take a lot to tip it. I have 4 cats who run around the house.... My current monitor is a 21" crt - which wouldn't fall over if you tried. The thing is about 10 years old, and the picture quality and geometry are getting more and more off. I would really like to replace it.

I figure someone here must have pets/small children and a lcd monitor... Any suggestions?
Teach your cats to stay off the computer equipment. A rolled up newspaper, your foot, and/or a water pistol works well.

Sorry, I don't like cats. Dogs are easier to beat some sense into.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Chinasaur
Senior User
Sep 5, 2004, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by jcadam:
Dogs are easier to beat some sense into.
It's easier to teach an animal through love and kindness than by abusing/beating it.

<on_topic> Good point, I have cats as well but I would knock the thing over via clumsiness rather than the gattos. If I get one, I'm going to try the double-sided sticky strip gooey stuff� to lock it in place.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

a holck
Senior User
Sep 5, 2004, 12:53 PM

You could buy a
VESA compatible monitor Arm
Should fit the iMac perfectly & keep it out of reach of your pet

AndrewP
Sep 5, 2004, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by stuffedmonkey:

I have one of the new (alumininum) 20" cinema displays an it's surprisingly stable. I wouldn't worry about it too much. In many ways this is a "family" computer and apple surely took kids and pets into account in the design.

Nonetheless... should you have a problem you can remove the base, get the VESA adapter, and get a VESA swing-arm that either attaches to a wall or clamps to your desk... or ... If you don't mind making a hole in the base (and your desk) a simple hole through the base with a bolt should solve the problem and still allow it to swivel. Another option is some of the ulta-heavy-duty 3m "velcro." I can't remember what they call it, but it's made out of rubberized plastic and is super-strong. You won't be able to swivel the display, but it won't get tipped over.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2004, 04:12 AM

but the newspaper is still the cheapest option. in san francisco, you can even get a bunch of weekly publications for free!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2004, 01:32 PM

A c-clamp to the desk? A couple bolts through the foot into the desk? A chunk of lead?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

jcadam
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
A c-clamp to the desk? A couple bolts through the foot into the desk? A chunk of lead?
Super Glue. Or some kind of epoxy that will adhere to the base of the iMac and the desktop.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 08:29 PM

You could wall mount it, but I think its pretty stable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules