Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cube or Mini?

Cube or Mini?
stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2005, 09:00 PM

I have a friend working in freelance mac support. One of his clients will be getting rid of six Cubes over the next six months - as he is replacing them all with G5 iMacs. I have the chance to get one for 400$. They are allegedly in primo condition, as four of them were used as file servers and not as desktops.

I don't have the exact specs - but assume for the sake of argument that they are 450mHz machines with the cd-r drive. Would you rather get one of those, or a new mini? They would end up being roughly the same price - as the first thing I would do with the cube is dump the HD and put in a 120 gig Seagate. Eventually if I got the cube - I would drop in the fanless Gigadesigns upgrade processor.

My other idea was to get a mini 1.42ghz and essentially leave it as is except for upping the ram a bit.

Any recommendations? The machine would be used as a secondary machine for file and print services, web browsing, nothing photoshop worthy.

Thanks for any sugestions!

Chad A Wright
Apr 24, 2005, 09:44 PM

I was the proud owner of a 500Mhz cube with 512MB Ram. I switched to a 1Ghz Powerbook G4 with 1GB Ram. It was a night and day difference. I loved the cube design dearly, but it was just noticeably slow. Now imagine the difference between a 450Mhz Cube and a 1.42Ghz Mini. I'm actually about to buy a 1.42 Mini to use as a home work computer. For $600 plus a little ram, it's faster than the Powerbook we paid $3,500 for 2 years ago.

I do all kinds of print, audio, and video production on my Powerbook, so the Mini should do great. It's no G5, but it also doesn't have the G5 price tag.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2005, 10:22 PM

The cube would look cool, and it would be nice to own one, but ultimately, you wouldn't enjoy using it as much as a mini. The only way to get anywhere near equal performance would be to buy a processor and graphics card upgrades, pushing the price well above a mini.

oh, and it would be nice to own a new machine that has a warranty.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 12:17 AM

I'd say Mini, unless you want a Cube for its historical significance... though that significance is only among fellow Mac-heads.

Mini has a warranty, is leaps and bounds faster than the cube (check www.xbench.com and compare the benchmarks), and is even smaller than the cube.

nickw311
Senior User
Apr 25, 2005, 11:08 AM

I would definantly go with the Mini with the vastly superior Processor, Bus and Ram Speed. They don't even compare IMO and Cubes are getting rediculously high prices on the used market.
27" iMac C2D

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 25, 2005, 11:13 AM

I have a souped up Cube. Get the mini.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 12:13 PM

Get the Mac mini, and if you need desktop drive performance, pick up one of those miniMates from MicroNet at the same time.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

stuffedmonkey  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info guys! It looks like the mini would be the way to go....

Forum Links
Forum Rules