Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook [Pro] with external Bluray

Macbook [Pro] with external Bluray
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2008, 09:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA2yVh_vSdI

Some person in YouTube claims that he can view Bluray movies with his MBP 2.16GHz. What graphic chip is in this machine, and do you think it is a hoax?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2008, 11:41 PM

The GPU is listed as the X1600, which is the correct GPU for the 2.16GHz MBP. It looks real, and there's no reason to doubt that it's real.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Aug 30, 2008, 11:47 PM

Is BluRay playback more GPU intensive than CPU intensive? I would think the CPU would be the limiting factor, but I may be wrong. If i'm right, the CPU should have the power to play BluRay.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2008, 11:56 PM

But she won't be able to connect a DVI monitor and watch the movie due to HDCP restrictions, right?

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2008, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by hookem2oo7 View Post
Is BluRay playback more GPU intensive than CPU intensive? I would think the CPU would be the limiting factor, but I may be wrong. If i'm right, the CPU should have the power to play BluRay.
ATI chips with VIVO extensions can accelerate the MPEG decoding, but the DRM encryption will always be done in the CPU. So, it is a good thing to not double-task your CPU by using a more modern video chip.
...or so they say.

Forum Links
Forum Rules