Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple LCDs and the power button

Apple LCDs and the power button
stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2005, 09:55 AM

I realize this might be an absolutely retarted question, but here goes anyway:

I just got my first lcd ever - a surplus 17" ADC display that my work was selling for 150$ new in the friggen box. It replaced a 15 year old beige apple 21" crt that i had picked up at a yard sale a few years back - one that the focus was never quite perfect. I totally love it - but I can't figure out one thing.

I need to be able to turn the monitor off without sleeping the machine. I saw the prefrence to disable the power button entirely. I have also set the monitor to fade out after 15 min in energy saver. I want to be able just to turn off the thing at the power button and leave the mac running - is there some hack to reprogram the power button to do this?

Thanks!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2005, 06:58 PM

For that on my PB I just turn the brightness down... dono if you can do that with that display though...

hakstooy
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2005, 07:34 PM

On ACDs the brightness does not lower to an essentially dark screen like a PB, its still pretty damn bright when on the lowest setting. Kind of comparable to a PB screen on 80% or so.

I dunno how you could do that other than have the energy saver "display sleep" setting at a very short amount of time.

I don't know of any setting you can change, but maybe there is a software option out there. Some little app or widget that allows you to click a button to sleep the monitor.

Additionally, you could set the screen saver to nothing and utilize a hot corner so that you can automatically activate it whenever you want. That way it could be dark or swirly or whatever you want.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2005, 08:45 PM

Do you need it to be actually Off, or is sleep OK? The latter is better for the monitor.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2005, 04:12 AM

Just set the display sleep to a lower number. It'd be AWESOME if the power button did something and it really makes me mad they didn't bother fixing this until the DVI models, but meh oh well..
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules