Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook 13: Bags!

Macbook 13: Bags! (Page 2)
Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2006, 12:23 PM

Are you sure they're actually going to ship the foof for 9AUD? Because the site says that's the price for local shipping. Please check that and get back to me...

Added: Laplogic, Bitolithic, STM, Axio

Couldn't find the sock, even though I googled it several ways.

The Bitolithic is looking very good to me right now -- it's within my budget ($42 shipped to US), and it includes two very useful accessories. Thanks for the info on that.
( Last edited by Yakov; May 23, 2006 at 01:05 PM. )

mexicali100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2006, 01:31 PM

Here's another:

http://www.standardtm.com.au/smallalley

Touted to "not look like a laptop bag".

mexicali100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Yakov
Are you sure they're actually going to ship the foof for 9AUD? Because the site says that's the price for local shipping. Please check that and get back to me...

Added: Laplogic, Bitolithic, STM, Axio

Couldn't find the sock, even though I googled it several ways.

The Bitolithic is looking very good to me right now -- it's within my budget ($42 shipped to US), and it includes two very useful accessories. Thanks for the info on that.
Definately. Under "Postage options" on their main page, it says

Postage is charged (per item): foofbag: $9 (1st) then $7 ea | foofpod: $3 ea | cable turtle: $4 ea

Also directly underneath "postage options" it says "airmail service world wide". So yup, $9 internationally. The extra cash below is if you want insurance, which I did not. I'm confirmed and on their production page, so it looks like that is the final price. I'll let you know when it arrives. Their page says that each order is made within 3 to 6 working days after receiving the confirmation reply from you via email. From there, it's an estimated 12 to 15 days via Air to the US. So at most I'm looking at 3 weeks. Since I'm not picking up my MacBook for another week or so, I don't mind the wait

Edit: Also, the Bitolithic looks like an awesome setup. Let me know how it works out for you!

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2006, 01:48 PM

oh, that's a flat rate shipping policy!
damn, that's a hard-to-read site... they really need to break it up into a few separate pages... but i guess they want a unique look!
i'm going to add a link to their "care" page that shows a foof inside-out.

regarding the STM you linked to: If that doesn't look like a laptop bag, I look like a duck.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2006, 02:00 PM

OP updated: Foof, STM listings; general layout, mostly nixed the "inexact dimensions" section
( Last edited by Yakov; May 23, 2006 at 02:53 PM. )

allexsimmons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by kaidomac
OP, to update on your Foof entry:

Foofbags are gorgeous little cloth sleeves handmade in Australia. The listed prices are in AUD (1au=76cents). Simple sleeves are 36AUD ($27); the crazy ones are 42AUD ($32). Unfortunately you get smacked on shipping, which adds another $27usd to your order if you live in the States. Why does it cost so much to ship? Why is there no distribution in the US? Do they know that for some people, the word "foof" has an impolite meaning? Will they ever clean up their web design?

I ordered a red Foof sleeve yesterday, here's what the numbers were shipped to the US via AirMail using Paypal:

Red corduroy Foof bag: $36.00 AUD
Handling: $2.00 AUD
Shipping: $7.00 AUD
Sales Tax: None
Cart Total: $45.00 AUD

Exchange Rate: 1 U.S. Dollar = 1.29723 Australian Dollars

Bottom line: $34.69 USD shipped

$35 is a tad pricey for a simple sleeve, but (1) it's a cool sleeve and (2) that's not a bad price considering it's being shipped internationally. I've paid a lot more than that for international shipping before. I'll post a review once it comes in.

I was able to snag an extra "kind of blue" color, but my total came out to be 80 AUD.

madboarder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2006, 01:35 AM

Hey guys...after buying my MacBook, I wanted to keep it in a nice slim case. I've read about a bunch of cases that are in the works and will be released "soon" but that wasn't good enough. So I went on down to Best Buy to take a look at their selection. It wasn't great, but there was one thing that caught my eye:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1130342982055

It fits the MacBook almost perfectly! And for only $20 it isn't a bad deal either! Since it's made of Neoprene, it's stretchy. I can put the MacBook charger on top of the computer and still close the case, not causing any harm to the computer!

Let me know what you guys think..

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 06:18 AM

looks nice, but for the sake of the OP list, i can't add it... i'm only listing products that exactly fit the 13" macbook.

By the way, in case anyone has decided to get an init from Best Buy online: the red one is $10.

Anyway, there are products shipping now, but maybe the list as it was when you read it didn't make that information readily available. So, I fixed that.

Re-arranged OP list into "shipping now" and "pre-order" products.
News: Waterfield sleeve ships tomorrow!

mexicali100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2006, 09:21 AM

oh, that's a flat rate shipping policy!
damn, that's a hard-to-read site... they really need to break it up into a few separate pages... but i guess they want a unique look!
i'm going to add a link to their "care" page that shows a foof inside-out.

regarding the STM you linked to: If that doesn't look like a laptop bag, I look like a duck.
Well, it doesn't look like a traditional laptop bag in any case. Quote from their site:

You want a bag that protects your notebook, but doesn't look like a laptop bag.

And I'll keep the comments about the duck to myself

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 07:46 PM

thin rectangular bag = laptop bag

quiklee
Senior User
May 24, 2006, 09:08 PM

STM Bags look the best so far!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 09:33 PM

I like the axio hard shells

arrkay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2006, 11:42 PM

What do you think of this? http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-pavilion-dv10...QQcmdZViewItem

Do you think this will fit?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 12:51 AM

Yakov:
I don't have a MacBook, but I did test the Axio Backpack (inside it's the same). I placed my 15" Aluminum Powerbook inside it and there was way too much exposed. That is, the inner sleeve didn't really protect the Powerbook at all.

You can see this clearly shown on this photo from their website. Note this is with the Powerbook all the way in! Pretty on the outside and inside, BUT terrible at truly protecting the PowerBook or the MacBook or any other laptop since so much is left unprotected.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 04:43 AM

so, does the axio hardcase (or any other item on their site) precisely fit the Macbook -- or can it be adjusted to precisely fit the macbook? i'd love to be able to clear out the "I don't get it" section on the OP

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 09:12 AM

Sorry, since I don't own a MacBook, I cannot say that it fits or not. My biggest concern again, is that even if it does fit, there is just too much of the laptop that is not protected by the sleeve.

Voch
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 06:54 PM

I'm using my Marware Sportfolio I bag for my old TiBook until they come out with a MacBook-specific one. It fits pretty well but there's definately some extra unnecessary room in there.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2006, 12:44 AM

Just wanted to provide an update. I recieved my WaterField Designs Sleeve today. Vertical w/ Flap...and I'm extremely impressed with it. Obviously made for the MacBook...high quality build, looks great, perfect ammount of neoprene to protect while keeping a slim profile.

Highly Recommended!

sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2006, 03:59 AM

I also received my Waterfield 13" Macbook sleeve, vertical orientation w/ flap. This site mentioned it would ship the 25th but I had no idea I would actually have it in my hands on the 25th! I called on tuesday and spoke to Gary and he assured me I would receive it before going on my trip this friday. Well I received it yesterday (thursday) a day ahead of what was promised. Talk about service! These folks are great! Best of all, they make a pretty awesome product too as I am very pleased with the sleeve. Well-crafted and has quality written all over it. Fits my new MacBook like a glove and the vertical orientation is perfect for when I want to charge it while it's safe in the sleeve. the padding is substantial and the neoprene lining affords great protection with ease of insertion and removal. I skipped on the shoulder strap because the sleeve will always be inside another bag or backpack during transit. Highly recommended! Many thanks to Gary and all for coming through. Now for some obligatory pics...

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2006, 08:29 AM

awesome posts, thanks.
i added a few new reviews (including yours) to Foof and Waterfield in the OP.

jimbosyn
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 09:48 AM

I have a brenthaven pro 15/17 case that I have used for my Macbook Pro. It is an extremely awesome case. Now that my MBP has been sold, and a macbook purchased, I am looking for a backpack to fit it. the Brenthaven pro 15/17 compartment is way too big. The macbook slides around since it was designed specifically for a 15/17 powerbook/macbook. According to Brenthaven's site, the DUO 15 backpack will fit the macbook. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? Does it fit snugly? I really really liked the brenthaven case, but I need something that will fit my macbook better than my existing pro 15/17 case.

alon99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2006, 02:24 PM

I'm waiting for the Marware case, I e-mailed them and got this reply:

In 2-4 weeks we should have some cases available for the MacBook and MacBook
Pro. The Protection Pack is available now for the MacBook Pro 15". If you
have any further questions, feel free to contact me.

Ms. James
MARWARE
Customer Service Representative
2402 Hollywood Blvd.
Hollywood, FL 33020
954.927.6031 ext. 103
[email protected]
www.marware.com

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2006, 06:14 PM

Jimbo -- Figure it out for yourself!!! This is not hard. Look at the measurements of the Duo 15, then look at the measurements of the Macbook (listed in the OP of this thread!).

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 27, 2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by jimbosyn
I have a brenthaven pro 15/17 case that I have used for my Macbook Pro. It is an extremely awesome case. Now that my MBP has been sold, and a macbook purchased, I am looking for a backpack to fit it. the Brenthaven pro 15/17 compartment is way too big. The macbook slides around since it was designed specifically for a 15/17 powerbook/macbook. According to Brenthaven's site, the DUO 15 backpack will fit the macbook. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? Does it fit snugly? I really really liked the brenthaven case, but I need something that will fit my macbook better than my existing pro 15/17 case.

Look at the 12/15 profile by Brenthaven?

LA Computer co. has it for $30 USD instead of the usual $99.

http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi...=sku&sku=19029

Sure, it holds a 15, but I put a 14" Pismo powerbook in it and chucked it down a flight of stairs and off the back of a moving truck, and the powerbook came out unharmed in this bag.*

* Yes, I really did that. I'll link to the film later.

jimbosyn
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 08:35 PM

Jimbo -- Figure it out for yourself!!! This is not hard. Look at the measurements of the Duo 15, then look at the measurements of the Macbook (listed in the OP of this thread!).
Perhaps I should modify my question a bit. I am aware that the dimensions of the duo 15 backpack from brenthaven will fit the macbook. Technically, my current pro 15/17 is large enough for my macbook. It's actually to large. This is the problem as I stated above. My concern is that the duo 15 case is designed with a flexible "core" system that will give based on the size of the notebook that is inserted. I am soliciting feedback from someone who might have a duo 15 backpack or know of someone with a duo 15 backpack. When I said "According to Brenthaven's site, the DUO 15 backpack will fit the macbook. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?" I was not in doubt that the dimensions are correct. My concern is if the macbook will "float" around inside the case and not have a snug fit. I do believe I have "figured it out" on my own, but would like confirmation from someone who might own the case in question.

jimbosyn
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks
Look at the 12/15 profile by Brenthaven?

I looked at that. I really need a backpack though. I'm not sure If I could go back to a shoulder case again. Thanks for the recommendation though.

NightEyes
Forum Regular
May 28, 2006, 11:40 AM

My Waterfield sleeve arrived last week as well and as usual, it's perfect. This is my fourth sleeve from them, dating back to the original Ti PowerBook. I use mine with an timbuk2 messenger bag or on longer trips I put the thing in Waterfield's excellent large Cargo bag. I have had this bag for three years now and travelled extensively with it, and yet it looks pretty much as new as the day it arrived at my doorstep. If you need a bag to go with your sleevecase, be sure to check out the large Cargo or the timbuk2 bags. Good stuff.
mb air, imac, iphone, touch, shuffle

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2006, 12:06 PM

jimbo...
according to the DUO website, "Internal CORE Flex Dimensions: 11 1/4" W x 13 1/4" H X 2 1/4" D (maximum) 8 1/4"W x 13 1/4"H X 2 1/4"D (minimum)."

this leads me to believe that any laptop smaller than 8 1/4"W x 13 1/4"H X 2 1/4"D will be swimming around.

The Macbook 13 is 1.08x12.78x8.92 inches -- smaller on two sides than the minimum dimensions as listed. (particularly thickness -- less than half the listed minimum!)

-yakov.

blambert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2006, 07:39 PM

Found this thread after (natch ) I ordered the STM Small Alley. It should arrive the end of this week or the beginning of next, so I'll let you folk know how good that fit is.

Originally Posted by kaidomac
Do they know that for some people, the word "foof" has an impolite meaning?
According to the bottom of the right column...

Does foof stand for anything?
foof is the person who creates your foof products, and no, we are not involved in the 'Fraternal Order of Odd Fellows' or making a parody of the Pentium invalid instruction erratum (f00f) or involved in food (often mispelt as foof as the d & f are next to each other on a QWERTY keyboard) and those of you who are French, Welsh or are conversant in eighteenth century American colloquialism, you can stop laughing..
( Last edited by wmcduff; May 28, 2006 at 08:03 PM. )

krise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2006, 07:54 PM

i have the bitolithic coming on tuesday or wednesday. looks pretty good, plus keyboard cover and accesory case. pretty good deal

HouseSold
Senior User
May 28, 2006, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by drinkmilk15
i have the bitolithic coming on tuesday or wednesday. looks pretty good, plus keyboard cover and accesory case. pretty good deal
My daughter and I went to CompUSA and Frys today, which are a block apart here, to shop for sleeves and cases for our black MacBooks. My daughter settled for a beige Case Logic sleeve ( http://www.caselogic.com/13_student_...?modelid=70111 ) with a 25 year guarantee.
We already have a Targus case but bought a Sumdex case at Frys (http://www.sumdex.com/core/NBN-131.asp). We also bought a Sony Vaio (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...feature&var2== )neoprene sleeve ( previously mentioned ) for under $20 at Frys which included a power supply neoprene bag and is double zippered.

All in all, very handsome stuff, inexpensive and protective.
Hopes this helps someone, especially on price.

Our hardly used 17" PowerBook is headed to EBay in a Waterfield sleeve.

Turn204
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 10:38 AM

What do you guys think of these? http://wrappers.typepad.com/

Customized designs, water-resistant (but not proof).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 29, 2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Found this on eBhey:

Bitolithic

I ordered this one. It seems to be the best bang for the buck, if you like these types of sleeves. I also wanted the screen protector. US$43 shipped.

For those who haven't already seen it, their website is here: www.bitolithic.com

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by TheBMill
What do you guys think of these? http://wrappers.typepad.com/

Customized designs, water-resistant (but not proof).

Nice but don't want it in white will get dirty. I just got the Sony vaio bag for now till more come out only payed 15 bux for it and it comes with a extra pouch for adaptor. I just cut the vaio logo off and all is good!
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

jere_69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 09:46 PM

I was going to order the Foof, but after checking out the bitolithic with the included screen protector, I think I've changed my mind. I think the inside of the laptop area in my Timbuktu bag should be okay, but I want something for around the house.

york2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 11:24 AM

Can you tell me how the MacBook fits in the Sumdex Transit I bag? I've been looking at that one, but I can't find the interior dimensions of the bag on the company website. Is there room for the power adapter and a video cable?

Thanks

York

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2006, 12:44 PM

eegadz! Is it me, or most of these the most non-apple, ugly looking things ever!
Why would any of you get something that detracted from the sleek, white/blackness of your MacBooks?

Looks like I will have to make my own leather one... Oh well.

R

Heavy
Forum Regular
May 30, 2006, 01:17 PM

Some of these are hideous. I think the STM is decent. But I'd like to find a nice, sleek leather bag that's padded too. The nylon stuff looks like you're going camping.

Voch
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by alon99
I'm waiting for the Marware case, I e-mailed them and got this reply:

In 2-4 weeks we should have some cases available for the MacBook and MacBook
Pro. The Protection Pack is available now for the MacBook Pro 15". If you
have any further questions, feel free to contact me.
Sweet! I'll grab one when they come out and store my TiBook in the bag I'm using now.

darkhelmit54
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 01:33 PM

what do you guys think of the maxprotect2? Has anyone had it for the MBP? It certainly looks cool if you ask me, i just like the briefcase look a lot and it seems like it would protect fairly well but who knows.

http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/in...Product_ID=137

http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/in...Product_ID=151

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I ordered this one. It seems to be the best bang for the buck, if you like these types of sleeves. I also wanted the screen protector. US$43 shipped.

For those who haven't already seen it, their website is here: www.bitolithic.com
Those are pretty nice. don't like the colour for a black MB though. What are they made of?

My prob with sleeves is where the heck do you put the AC adapter?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 30, 2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
Those are pretty nice. don't like the colour for a black MB though. What are they made of?
Neoprene (1.5 mm thick)

My prob with sleeves is where the heck do you put the AC adapter?
The sleeved laptop goes inside another bag (along with the adapter). I don't like putting my bare laptop in my briefcase or whatever.

The sleeve I ordered actually comes with a small bag (made from the same material) for the AC adapter and stuff, but I'm not 100% sure I'll use it for that.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2006, 05:25 PM

there's a lot of information on the bitolithic in the OP, folks

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2006, 05:42 PM

Did my best to add the wrappers. Also, MaxProtect added to coming soon maybe list.

Before you post a question: The bags info you're looking for is probably right here in the continuously updated original post of this thread...

note: I couldn't add some of the suggested cheaper options, since they're not exactly fit to the Macbook 13...

arrkay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 08:19 PM

I just got my Bitolithic sleeve....

When I got the package it looked very professional.... opened it up... was wrapped in paper wrapping which looked professional as well...

Opened it up... and the sleeve looked like a piece of paper, literally. Stiching was very unprofessionala but after cutting it, it was perfect. Tried it with my macbook and it fits it like a sock.. In my opinion, the sleeve color is darker than what is in the picture, which put a smile on my face.... I did not want my sleeve being a freakin rainbow.

The material feels nice both inside and outside. The small little case could fit my AC adapter and much, much more. Take it literally that it can only protect your macbook against scratches which was the main purpose of why I bought it. So I was content on my order.... and I recommend using it with another bag with padding, which is what I planned to do.

Thats all, I'll try and get some pics up.

kugino
May 31, 2006, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by sensorfreaky
I also received my Waterfield 13" Macbook sleeve, vertical orientation w/ flap. This site mentioned it would ship the 25th but I had no idea I would actually have it in my hands on the 25th! I called on tuesday and spoke to Gary and he assured me I would receive it before going on my trip this friday. Well I received it yesterday (thursday) a day ahead of what was promised. Talk about service! These folks are great! Best of all, they make a pretty awesome product too as I am very pleased with the sleeve. Well-crafted and has quality written all over it. Fits my new MacBook like a glove and the vertical orientation is perfect for when I want to charge it while it's safe in the sleeve. the padding is substantial and the neoprene lining affords great protection with ease of insertion and removal. I skipped on the shoulder strap because the sleeve will always be inside another bag or backpack during transit. Highly recommended! Many thanks to Gary and all for coming through. Now for some obligatory pics...

i ordered a vertical without flap...the cheapest you can get. i basically want something to cover my MB while in my backpack (it's a laptop backpack so has quite good padding).

i'm really waiting for the Crumpler line of MB products, so this should hold me over until later this summer...

home: 20" intel iMac, 2GB ram; eyetv 200; eyetv hybrid
road: MacBook 160GB, 2GB ram

blambert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 06:02 AM

Well, my MacBook, the Alley Bag and...erm, Pokémon Emerald (what! ) arrived in the mail today. To paraphrase The Order of the Stick, "I think I just had a nerdgasm."

As for the Small Alley bag, it does look pretty generic in Olive at least, I think. The laptop pocket is pretty much perfect on width and length, the padding on those two directions pretty much exactly the same size as my new MacBook.

But in the small dimension, thickness it's a bit too much, sadly. I want to add a thin sheet of foam on the front. A sleeve might help in that respect, however, it might get a bit tight on the sides or extend a bit over the top in that case; it's hard to say, and depends on sleeve thickness.

Pictures to come; I tried to take some with my crappy cel phone, but they sucked, I'll try to borrow a real digicam sometime in the next week and give you some visuals.

However, if you really need to know now, it's http://homepage.mac.com/wmcduff/SmallAlley/VFMI0067.JPG through 71.JPG

Heavy
Forum Regular
May 31, 2006, 08:56 AM

What is considered one of the best shock protected, water resistant bag out there for the MB?

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 11:32 AM

hard to say... the brain cell, vyper, and maxprotect all look good in terms of "maximum protection," although none of them are shipping yet (the maxprotect hasn't even been announced). I don't know of claims to waterproofiness, though. I really hope Radtech gets on the MB boat soon... I feel like once they do, the OP will double in size. They carry a lot of really neat products, including a maximum protection case.

there's also Axio, which seems to make a hardshell awesome and very expensive case, but their website is tres confusing and I don't know about fits

JeffKiel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 11:57 AM

Wow, what a great company and service! I ordered the horizontal with flap, strap, and saddle (fully monty) and it is so sweet! The bag is wonderful!

Forum Links
Forum Rules