Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Going Electric

Going Electric
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 05:48 AM

I think ive decided im going to convert my car to a electric car assuming I can get the same daily range and speeds of 110KPh when my engine dies which could be years of course. Gas is just to expensive, I live in a place that has some of the cheapest power in North America and it would be doing my part for the enviroment. ANy one here done a conversion?
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
I think ive decided im going to convert my car to a electric car assuming I can get the same daily range and speeds of 110KPh when my engine dies which could be years of course. Gas is just to expensive, I live in a place that has some of the cheapest power in North America and it would be doing my part for the enviroment. ANy one here done a conversion?
An admirable idea but unless ALL your local power plants are based on solar/wind/nuclear eneregy you will still be a consumer of petroleum products somewhere in the energy system.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
An admirable idea but unless ALL your local power plants are based on solar/wind/nuclear eneregy you will still be a consumer of petroleum products somewhere in the energy system.
Mostly Hydro and thermal and a little natural gas http://www.bchydro.com

BC has some of the cheapest power rates in the world so it really makes sense to switch.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 08:58 AM

Get a Venturi Fetish ... if you have 450,000 Euros floating around!

http://www.venturi.fr/shared/medias/wallpaper800_2.jpg

0-100km/h in 4.5 seconds!

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Troll
Get a Venturi Fetish ... if you have 450,000 Euros floating around!

http://www.venturi.fr/shared/medias/wallpaper800_2.jpg

0-100km/h in 4.5 seconds!
im not spending a million CDN on a car besides I rather have a floatable car to bi pass the bridges.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 09:32 AM

im not spending a million CDN on a car besides I rather have a floatable car to bi pass the bridges.
lol!

well, I wonder if your car won't be too heavy for that upgrade...

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 10:07 AM

im not spending a million CDN
Cheapskate!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 10:23 AM

I wish you all the best with your project Athens.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 10:51 AM

When are they gonna start selling Flying Saucers?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 12:28 PM

my engine has to die on me first and right now 3 of the 4 Cylinders are fine running at 170PSI and one is running below min spec at 120. Could be a long time still.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 12:56 AM

Mostly Hydro bla bla snip http://www.bchydro.com

salmon killer

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra
salmon killer
Most of the dams have channels for the salmon to make it up river, BC Hydro also has a lot of protected land and all the dams have parks around them. Perhaps you should look into something before blasting it with BS.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 05:15 AM

Before you blast the idea of an electric vehicle, you would need to know as a fact that the gas/coal-powered power plant is less efficient and more polluting per kWh than a car's internal combustion engine.

If a gas/coal power plant can deliver cheap energy, chances are that they are very efficient. If not, the plant could have a killer deal in fuel purchases, or is skipping technologies to scrub all emissions. Something to be aware of.

Then take into account the efficiency of the electric vehicle (mainly limited by the battery pack as the discharge energy is not as much as the discharge energy).

Check these books: "Convert it" and "Make your own electric vehicle". I have never tried converting a car, but I was contemplating doing so back in 2001
( Last edited by The Godfather; Aug 12, 2005 at 05:32 AM. )

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Before you blast the idea of an electric vehicle, you would need to know as a fact that the gas/coal-powered power plant is less efficient and more polluting per kWh than a car's internal combustion engine.

If a gas/coal power plant can deliver cheap energy, chances are that they are very efficient. If not, the plant could have a killer deal in fuel purchases, or is skipping technologies to scrub all emissions. Something to be aware of.

Then take into account the efficiency of the electric vehicle (mainly limited by the battery pack as the discharge energy is not as much as the discharge energy).

Check these books: "Convert it" and "Make your own electric vehicle". I have never tried converting a car, but I was contemplating doing so back in 2001
Also its easier to keep one Coal plant running efficient then 10 000 cars on teh road. Also for big cities like Vancouver it redistributes the pollution else where but in Vancouvers case dosent matter since its mostly Hydro anyways.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 01:38 PM

Most of the dams have channels for the salmon to make it up river, BC Hydro also has a lot of protected land and all the dams have parks around them. Perhaps you should look into something before blasting it with BS.
well I was kind of kidding... but its not bs. I used to work for this industry.

1. those channels have been proven time and again to not be very effective

2. most the fish die going down stream through the dam as babies. Fish don't think "hmmm maybe I'll take the channel instead".

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2005, 01:19 AM

How's this project going?

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Sep 5, 2005, 01:43 AM

Athens, this is quite possibly the dumbest post you've made here. You cannot just 'convert' a car to an electric car. You'd require a lot of batteries, a custom motor/transmission, and you'd need regenerative braking in order to get back the power you're losing whenever you had to slow down. On top of that, weren't you saying you wanted a riced out ghetto fast and furious honda prelude with a bodykit and cheesy chrome rims just a few months ago?

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 5, 2005, 01:57 AM

You are one to dredge up someone's past posts, you POS.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 02:00 AM

You might consider getting one of those Toyota Prius.

It's a hybrid, and gets over 50 miles/gallon.

You can mod it and get almost 100 mile/gallon.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
You are one to dredge up someone's past posts, you POS.
I think you are wrong in regards to your post. Your anger seems pointed towards ca$h, but The Godfather actually pulled up the post. If you carefully follow the thread, you'll see that The Godfather actually was trying to help Athens with his project.

I know it's really not my business, but I've felt the need to try to be an internet bully lately.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2005, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Athens, this is quite possibly the dumbest post you've made here. You cannot just 'convert' a car to an electric car. You'd require a lot of batteries, a custom motor/transmission, and you'd need regenerative braking in order to get back the power you're losing whenever you had to slow down. On top of that, weren't you saying you wanted a riced out ghetto fast and furious honda prelude with a bodykit and cheesy chrome rims just a few months ago?
I never said i wanted to rice it out. a Bodykit yes, and nicer wheels yes, but thats about it. Was never going to do anything to the motor or transmission, the car has plenty of power now. And yes you can convert cars to electric, go look on google. The quote I got from a company was about 5500 US with out the regenerative braking which would be a good idea with all the hills around here. So whats so dumb about this post huh, explain what is dumb about it.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2005, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
How's this project going?

I got most of the technically info, and its doable since the climate here stays warm enough all year around. But im not going to gut the car until the engine itself is in need of a rebuild, then i'll use the money that would have went into rebuilding the engine and a little more to make it electric. Could be a few months, could be years. The Engine for the most part is in good shape.

loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 02:51 AM

What budster said.

Athens, I think its a great idea... this is an investment that will surely pay for itself. You say a company would do it for 5.5 grand? I think thats a pretty good deal. How would that compare with doing it yourself? I don't know how experienced you are with modding cars, but I for one would not trust myself to do a DIY thing...

Something I'm anxious to see is hydrogen cars becoming affordable.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2005, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by loki74
What budster said.

Athens, I think its a great idea... this is an investment that will surely pay for itself. You say a company would do it for 5.5 grand? I think thats a pretty good deal. How would that compare with doing it yourself? I don't know how experienced you are with modding cars, but I for one would not trust myself to do a DIY thing...

Parts are 5.5 G US, I still have to do all the work myself. It would be a really good investment because BC has some of the cheapest power in the world

Im going to try and get in the Hydrogen Beta Car program thats supose to start in a couple years. Before 2010 Vancouver is supose to have 10% of its gas stations setup for hydrogen pumps and the National Hydrogen Test Car program is going to be in Vancouver and ballard is already based here which is a industry leader in fuel cell cars.

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Sep 5, 2005, 10:39 AM

It's not a good idea because electric cars suck. First off, the range blows. Then imagine driving at night. Using your lights. Now your range is about half of the pathetic range it was in the first place. Now turn on your radio. Woops! Shorter still! And now, if it's chilly, turn on your heater. DANG! Electric heat!? Looks like the range is now under 50 miles. YAY ELECTRIC.

Anyway Athens, it's a stupid idea. That's why almost NOBODY does that. If you honestly think you're goin to do this, whatever. I'm honestly telling you you are not going to do this. You sound like a little kid saying that they're going to be a marine biologist when they grow up. Sure sure, whatever.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2005, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by loki74
IMO, the media is putting hydrogen through a Hype-And-Deception cycle. I don't know if it is with evil intentions or just their careless thirst for a story.

Hydrogen is NOT the unlimited source of energy that covers 70% of the planet, like the media makes it look.

Embrace hydrogen for what it is: possibly the best way to transport and store energy. Fuel cells are the breakthrough in battery technology that everybody is waiting for. Hydrogen can be produced from water electrolysis, which takes no less energy to produce than the energy released in fuel cell. Hydrogen can be produced by breaking hydrocarbons (oil), and it can take less energy than elecrolysis, in addition to fueling up a fuel cell, instead of an I.C.E. (efficiency 80% vs 40%).

So, before dropping it all for hydrogen, do your accounting and see what is going to replace your I.C.E. car: hybrid, purely electric, hydrogen fuel cell, motorcycle, bicycle or whatever. No one solution fits all, but everyone will have to switch to renewable energy at some point.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2005, 11:24 AM

It's not a good idea because electric cars suck. First off, the range blows. Then imagine driving at night. Using your lights. Now your range is about half of the pathetic range it was in the first place. Now turn on your radio. Woops! Shorter still! And now, if it's chilly, turn on your heater. DANG! Electric heat!? Looks like the range is now under 50 miles. YAY ELECTRIC.

Anyway Athens, it's a stupid idea. That's why almost NOBODY does that. If you honestly think you're goin to do this, whatever. I'm honestly telling you you are not going to do this. You sound like a little kid saying that they're going to be a marine biologist when they grow up. Sure sure, whatever.

Hum something to think about, most of my driving is at night, 10 at night going to work and 7 in the morning going home, both times are dark so I would be using lights, and in winter heat lol I might have to do some more caculations on this.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2005, 11:35 AM

No. The reason why nobody does it is COMPLACENCY. If somebody enjoys the cheapest electric supply in the world, and Ballard is going to build infrastructure in his city, it is almost his duty to try electric/fuelcell vehicles, even if it he ends up with a BSME in the process.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2005, 11:59 AM

instead of getting a crappy electric car, get one of those instead after saving up for a few decades
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Sep 5, 2005 at 12:06 PM. )

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Sep 5, 2005, 12:26 PM

Nobody on this board likes you. The moderators have banned you countless times. Why do you keep coming back? (I have a few theories.)

Get off the board, Cash.
( Last edited by strictlyplaid; Sep 5, 2005 at 12:34 PM. )

loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by strictlyplaid
Nobody on this board likes you. The moderators have banned you countless times. Why do you keep coming back? (I have a few theories.)

Get off the board, Cash.
Perfect!

budster101
Baninated
Sep 5, 2005, 01:47 PM

(Everything else snipped, because it wasn't funny, nor did it lend to the conversation anyway)
When you use words like: "Suck";"blows";"pathetic";"Woops!";"Dang!";"Ya y"

"You sound like a little kid saying they're going to be a marine biologist when they grow up. Sure sure, whatever."
Since you put it in such a scholarly way and backed it up with empirical evidence, there is no way I'm going to go out and buy an electric vehicle.

I thought you were Athens? Didn't you own up to it yesterday? Why argue with yourself? Just to keep up a childish persona... you suck & blow, and are a pathetic, Woops!, Dang, you are a child and it is going to make me go YAY! when you are banned again.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 5, 2005, 01:51 PM

Just buy a Prius and be happy. If that's not good enough, you could always upgrade the electrical system in the thing to work with plug-in AC power, for a heluvalot less cost than going fully electric.

Better yet, you could just buy an electric bicycle.

EDIT:

What Buckaroo said.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 5, 2005, 02:01 PM

Eug: You feeling better? Glad to see you back on the board, talking about bicycles no less!

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 02:11 PM

Get off the board, Cash.
hehe, so true.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2005, 02:15 PM

Nobody on this board likes you.
Incorrect. I like Ca$hy Boy - he's a character. He might talk complete nonsense about SUVs and car handling, but we'd miss his little rants if he wasn't here.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 5, 2005, 02:24 PM

He's a punching bag. I want to punch him in his bag.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Incorrect. I like Ca$hy Boy - he's a character. He might talk complete nonsense about SUVs and car handling, but we'd miss his little rants if he wasn't here.
ca$h actually left the lounge for a good three months or something, it was actually quite nice...
Maybe he will do it again, but for longer!

back on topic, dont go electric, GO BIO DIESEL! seriously look into it, you can run a diesel car on pure waste vegetable oil, I have a friend that get his "fuel" from his local chinese restaurant, you can also run a blend... plus bio diesel can be grown and not bought from overseas...

Zach

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz
back on topic, dont go electric, GO BIO DIESEL! seriously look into it, you can run a diesel car on pure waste vegetable oil, I have a friend that get his "fuel" from his local chinese restaurant, you can also run a blend... plus bio diesel can be grown and not bought from overseas...
True that. There's a guy around here who runs his Landy on used chip fat.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Sep 5, 2005, 03:38 PM

Get off the board, Cash.
Why do you constantly attack me? Does it make you feel better about yourself? You are being reported, along with anyone else who seems to think it's such a great idea to TRY to pisse me off and pick fights with me all the time. I post a lot of things here (artwork, interesting links, discussions about controversial topics, etc), and I don't go around randomly attacking people like yourself. I'm sick of stupid internet ****s always trying to piss me off and pick fights. You know what I think? I think, deep down, YOU ENJOY me here. You enjoy being an asshole and trying to pick fights with me. Well guess what? Piss off. I'm just going to report assholes like you and post this message whenever anyone is baiting me.

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Sep 5, 2005, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by dampeoples
hehe, so true.
Actually untrue. There are quite a few people here who enjoy exchanging ideas with me. There's also a large group of total internet **** tards who "OMGLOL +1" and "IBL" and "HAR HAR HAR!" and other stupid **** all the time that find me annoying because I'm not full of ****. You must be in the 2nd category.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 03:51 PM

What are you bothering to report people for? So they can get banned and keep coming back like you?
I'm sure some people enjoy you, misery loves company, I hear.
It would be different if you could hold a conversation without resorting to namecalling, whining and such, all it does is reaffirm the perception that you are a whiny, immature, spoiled child with an internet connection who can type. Hell, my kids can do that. They're 3,6 and 8. Want me to set up a playgroup?

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Sep 5, 2005, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz
ca$h actually left the lounge for a good three months or something, it was actually quite nice...
Maybe he will do it again, but for longer!
Yeah, you hated it when I was here. Maybe you're just pissed I was right about something.

Either way, I don't know what your beef is. I always thought you were pretty cool.

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Sep 5, 2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by dampeoples
What are you bothering to report people for? So they can get banned and keep coming back like you?
I'm sure some people enjoy you, misery loves company, I hear.
It would be different if you could hold a conversation without resorting to namecalling, whining and such, all it does is reaffirm the perception that you are a whiny, immature, spoiled child with an internet connection who can type. Hell, my kids can do that. They're 3,6 and 8. Want me to set up a playgroup?
Why do you constantly attack me? Does it make you feel better about yourself? You are being reported, along with anyone else who seems to think it's such a great idea to TRY to pisse me off and pick fights with me all the time. I post a lot of things here (artwork, interesting links, discussions about controversial topics, etc), and I don't go around randomly attacking people like yourself. I'm sick of stupid internet ****s always trying to piss me off and pick fights. You know what I think? I think, deep down, YOU ENJOY me here. You enjoy being an asshole and trying to pick fights with me. Well guess what? Piss off. I'm just going to report assholes like you and post this message whenever anyone is baiting me.

The Mick
Senior User
Sep 5, 2005, 04:04 PM

Well, that's what I get thinking maybe we could have an interesting discussion about electric vehicles. I think we were until Rob showed up and jacked it up for everyone as usual. IBL.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Sep 5, 2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Mick
Well, that's what I get thinking maybe we could have an interesting discussion about electric vehicles. I think we were until Rob showed up and jacked it up for everyone as usual. IBL.
Not really. I didn't jack anything, I just pointed out the SEVERE SHORTCOMINGS of an electric vehicle. Those shortcomings are well known and they very reason electric cars are a STUPID idea most of the time. The only place that they'd make sense would be retirement communities where you have very short distances, low speeds, warm weather, and no need to travel at night. However, we already have something to fit such a scenario: The golf cart.

Also, I wasn't JACKING anything. I was talking about electric vehicles. If you seriously don't like threadjacking, perhaps you should be pointing your finger at the flaming asshole Strictly Plaid, who's post contained nothing related to the present topic, and instead just attacked me and tried to piss me off. THAT is thread jacking.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 05:01 PM

Ehh, the era of electric cars is still not here. The technology and sophistication of those cars doesn't seem to have matured enough to give me all the amenities that I can get in a gas powered vehicle. And converting a vehicle that was not designed to be powered by electricity seems pretty stupid. If the mechanics of the cars is not optimized to be powered by those engines then a certain level of futility comes into play by making such a conversion. I doubt you'd ever recoup the investment and you''d lose so much performance that you would end up hating driving the thing. But its your nickels and dimes you are wasting so have fun.

That said, I am buying this in the fall: http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/E350W.jsp
Its not as sporty as I may have gone a couple years ago but I like the more grown up look of the car.
I was going to get a condo but the real estate market has to have its bubble popped before I drop the money into owning.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Sep 5, 2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Ehh, the era of electric cars is still not here. The technology and sophistication of those cars doesn't seem to have matured enough to give me all the amenities that I can get in a gas powered vehicle. And converting a vehicle that was not designed to be powered by electricity seems pretty stupid. If the mechanics of the cars is not optimized to be powered by those engines then a certain level of futility comes into play by making such a conversion. I doubt you'd ever recoup the investment and you''d lose so much performance that you would end up hating driving the thing. But its your nickels and dimes you are wasting so have fun.
Exactly.

Nice MB. They aren't my style, but g'luck with it.

loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 05:49 PM

Not really. I didn't jack anything, I just pointed out the SEVERE SHORTCOMINGS of an electric vehicle.
Seriously, if all you wanted to do was discuss the shortcomings of an electric vehicle, you could have done it it a civil way. Like a grown man. But no. You had to go and rip on him for some post he made x months ago, wasting no time as far as exaggerating, misstating, and berating what he expressed in that post.

Here's how I would have worded it:

"You know, electric cars are really overrated. (well, frankly they suck, imo) I mean, think about it. It has terrible range to begin with, and that can only get worse if you use your headlights, AC, radio, etc. It's just not practical. If you ask me, you should stick with gas, or maybe a hybrid. But I wouldn't go near an electric."

See... I said literally exactly the same thing you did. Minus the completely unnecessary asshole part.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2005, 06:09 PM

the poster said he wanted to convert his car not his life. driving an electric car would be a significant step in "doing his part" and should not be discounted.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Forum Links
Forum Rules