Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PSP hand on report..

PSP hand on report.. (Page 12)
Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2005, 08:07 PM

I'm getting the PSP.

Screw the Nintendo DS
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2005, 09:15 PM

Lumines kicks @ss! My gamestop didn't have Ridge racer; I've always like tetris, so i thought I would give Lumines a try. Awesome game and different in a good way from tetris.
Joe

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:
I'm getting the PSP.

Screw the Nintendo DS
It took you this long to figure that one out?

I was playing Wipeout for a couple hours today. The screen is so large and brilliant it is like paying infront of a 60 inch tv because of the distance you hold it from your face. I actually like playing on the PSP over my 50 inch TV for racing games as the sense of speed is greater.

These ding dongs that said people don't want to play the same games that they play on home systems on handhelds are 100% wrong. I wondered why I didn't use my Gameboy much, it is because I am sick of playing games that are 15 years in looks and gameplay.

The PSP is going to bring so many new people to the handheld market.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2005, 09:46 PM

How are the load times?

If I sit down and turn the unit on, how long until I'm actually playing the game? Is it like a CD based console or is quicker?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 09:49 PM

Just got back from Best Buy. They had 50 PSPs in stock and only about 3 other people there buying them. Picked up a PSP and Wipeout. They were out of Ridge Racer.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 10:51 PM

I fancy getting a PSP just to play WipEout. The first game I played on the PS1 was WipEout 2097 - I'd never really played consoles before and it blew me away.

BTW (slight plug - not really 'cause its not my site but�):

there's a competition on a site I do stuff for occasionally, to win a Nintendo DS:

http://www.mobilegamefaqs.com/

I think the question is a bit hard though

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 11:12 PM

I got my PSP at 3 PM today and just now had a chance to play it... Its flippin' awesome!!

But i have no less than 16 stuck-on pixels.

Does warranty cover it? How long will it take to get a replacement? Im kinda pissed.

But its just so damn beautiful! I cant give it up to get a replacement!

EDIT: anyone here got there PSP to connect through Airport extreme yet? It keeps telling me incorrect wep key. I tried turning off all wireless security on my Airport (just for a few minutes to try it) and that didn't work either... it still said it was wep protected.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2005, 11:31 PM

I'm hearing reports that there are plenty of units left all over. Maybe the launch didn't go that well?

Sounds like there isn't much hoopla over the PSP.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2005, 12:13 AM

16 stuck pixels???? wow, i'd be taking that back for a new one. That sucks!!!! Guess I got lucky....
Joe

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2005, 12:23 AM

Well, just got back from Gamestop with a PSP and Wipeout. They had 4 left.

Gonna open it in a bit.

Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2005, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
EDIT: anyone here got there PSP to connect through Airport extreme yet? It keeps telling me incorrect wep key. I tried turning off all wireless security on my Airport (just for a few minutes to try it) and that didn't work either... it still said it was wep protected.
What type of WEP you using? The PSP does not support WPA personal.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 01:30 AM

I had no problems connecting to my Snow Airport. Just typed in the name of the network and WEP key.

Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2005, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
I had no problems connecting to my Snow Airport. Just typed in the name of the network and WEP key.
And the type of WEP you are using is....

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
What type of WEP you using? The PSP does not support WPA personal.
D'oh! I knew that... I just never changed it...

working fine now on WEP 40.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 01:59 AM

And the type of WEP you are using is....
128 bit�

( Last edited by waxcrash; Mar 25, 2005 at 02:14 AM. )

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 02:09 AM

D'oh! I knew that... I just never changed it...

working fine now on WEP 40.
MacMan,
What setting did you use on the Base Station? I keep getting a message on the PSP saying the WLAN switch is not turned on. Anyone know what that means?

J

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by Bax23:
MacMan,
What setting did you use on the Base Station? I keep getting a message on the PSP saying the WLAN switch is not turned on. Anyone know what that means?

J
That means the WLAN switch on the PSP isn't on. It's on the left side, just left of the analog thumb stick.

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 02:19 AM

That means the WLAN switch on the PSP isn't on. It's on the left side, just left of the analog thumb stick.
Duh, yeah, I just figured that out. Thanks anyway, fellas.

Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2005, 02:31 AM

128 bit�
And that is exactly why you got it working no problem. It doesn't work with the newer more secure WEPs that are standard now.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2005, 10:15 AM

It took you this long to figure that one out?

I was playing Wipeout for a couple hours today. The screen is so large and brilliant it is like paying infront of a 60 inch tv because of the distance you hold it from your face. I actually like playing on the PSP over my 50 inch TV for racing games as the sense of speed is greater.

These ding dongs that said people don't want to play the same games that they play on home systems on handhelds are 100% wrong. I wondered why I didn't use my Gameboy much, it is because I am sick of playing games that are 15 years in looks and gameplay.

The PSP is going to bring so many new people to the handheld market.
It took about 2 seconds to figure it out. It took a little longer to post about it.

Sony has a winner. You are right about the screen. Its SHARP.

I was checking out Spidey 2 If only prices would go down on the movies they'd have a customer here. We'll see.

I tried the DS and did not like it. I've had many Nintendo products but the DS was not for me. If the new Portable Cube comes out I might get that too. Me likes the GC...

Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2005, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:

I was checking out Spidey 2 If only prices would go down on the movies they'd have a customer here. We'll see.
Amazon is offering 30% off the movies.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Mar 25, 2005, 01:15 PM

Amazon is offering 30% off the movies.
I heard if you say you are a Catholic, they give you 35% off, just for dealing with idiots like yourself.

Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2005, 01:17 PM

Here is a rather cheap and strong case for your games:

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2005, 01:24 PM

Did anyone have trouble getting one? From what I hear on other boards, there was not that much demand for it. Most places had lines of just 4 -5 people and most stores still have tons of PSPs sitting on the shelf. It's weird that Sony didn't launch it with more media buzz.

I think maybe it's a little out of most people's price ranges. If they drop it too $199 for Xmas and launch a massive ad campaign they can probably move a ton of units.

How are the load times?

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2005, 01:28 PM

Here is a rather cheap and strong case for your games:

Post of the week

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2005, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
Did anyone have trouble getting one? From what I hear on other boards, there was not that much demand for it. Most places had lines of just 4 -5 people and most stores still have tons of PSPs sitting on the shelf. It's weird that Sony didn't launch it with more media buzz.
Not from what I saw, the store I was at had easily 200 people in line at midnight.

The load times seems the same as the PS2, they are not bad at all for me.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 01:33 PM

I brought my PSP into work today. After two of my colleagues played Wipeout on it, they just left on there lunch breaks to go buy themselves one.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2005, 02:27 PM

I brought mine to work as well and got a bunch of wows from people. I think there is still a decent number of units out there, but one thing that I think needs done is display models in all the stores carrying these things. Once you play with one for even a couple of seconds, most are hooked....

By Christmas time, these will be going for 199...I would not have bought the value pack if they had a stand alone unit for 199 instead of the 249 I paid...

I'm using an altoid continer right now...good idea!
Joe

Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2005, 02:34 PM

The bad thing is I have not seen a SINGLE ad for the PSP, not in print or TV. Also it is not Christmas so not many kids can talk parents into getting this thing for them.

When I was in line there was ONE mother in line for her son, the rest were all 20-30 year olds getting it for themselves. No surprise 80% of them were Asian men.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 02:45 PM

When I showed it to my girlfriend, the first thing she said is it is an adult toy, which I don't disagree. Not many kids can afford to blow $250. How many parents would spend $250 for a gadget that a kid could easily break? Most 20-30 year-olds have disposable incomes. I don't think you are going to see many people under the age of 16 with a PSP for awhile.

Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2005, 02:48 PM

I don't think you are going to see many people under the age of 16 with a PSP for awhile.
Sony said they aren't targeting that crowed anyway. No doubt kids will want them but Sony is more interested in the 20-30 crowd as they have more money anyway.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2005, 02:51 PM

i went grocery shopping yesterday at walmart and they had about 10 in stock. i grabbed one with tony hawk and ridge racers and then put them back, since i would love one, but right now (with college and stuff) it would not be best (financially).

i am still very upset i did not get it though. busy thinking of how i can shift around my money to get one.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 03:03 PM

I got my PSP at 3 PM today and just now had a chance to play it... Its flippin' awesome!!

But i have no less than 16 stuck-on pixels.

Does warranty cover it? How long will it take to get a replacement? Im kinda pissed.

But its just so damn beautiful! I cant give it up to get a replacement!
(quoting myself)
I just called the Sony toll-free number (1-800-345-SONY... or 1-800-345-7669) and listened to a zillion menus before I realized you can press zero at anytime in any menu to talk to a sony person about replacement PSPs. The guy was very nice and said Sony will replace it free of charge (other than shipping it TOO sony, shipping from sony is free). Im glad, but sad at the same time because I have to send it out for 3 to 5 business days

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
i went grocery shopping yesterday at walmart and they had about 10 in stock. i grabbed one with tony hawk and ridge racers and then put them back, since i would love one, but right now (with college and stuff) it would not be best (financially).

i am still very upset i did not get it though. busy thinking of how i can shift around my money to get one.
Donate sperm... its like getting paid to get off.

Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2005, 05:13 PM

When I went to bed last night I felt dizzy after playing the PSP too much. I think I hit the limit for playing wipeout in a day (its 2 hours before barf-o-rama).

Michael1980
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 05:21 PM

Imagine playing SNES and Genesis on it. I am waiting for that.

Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Michael1980:
Imagine playing SNES and Genesis on it. I am waiting for that.
Get a gameboy if you want SNES games.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 07:53 PM

Is it true that shareware / freeware games will eventually be available online for PSP that can be loaded onto a memory stick and played? I could have sworn i saw / read that somewhere but now i can't find any info on it. If this is true than have you found any apps/games online yet?

How long before someone makes a hack/app that has a web-browser and email from the PSP? Thats what i really want! and free (or cheap) games!

Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2005, 08:00 PM

Is it true that shareware / freeware games will eventually be available online for PSP that can be loaded onto a memory stick and played? I could have sworn i saw / read that somewhere but now i can't find any info on it. If this is true than have you found any apps/games online yet?

How long before someone makes a hack/app that has a web-browser and email from the PSP? Thats what i really want! and free (or cheap) games!
It won't be long before games are available for download, sony already allows you to play games of the memory card.

I think Sony themselves will allow you to brows special websites using the PSP, with a keyboard attachment it would also be great for IM.

RonnieoftheRose
Mar 25, 2005, 10:10 PM

I couldn't resist so I bought a PSP today too. It is utterly butterly. The Spiderman 2 UMD looks better than the DVD version. Playing videos on the PSP is better than playing the same on any computer. I mean it. I got Ridge Racer with it which is every bit as gorgeous as Gran Turismo was on the PS2. I'm no good at using the analog control so I'll stick to the digital ones for now. The headphones were missing from my box but I don't need them as I have much better ones.

So everything is good. Text input has to be updated. The current version takes too long to enter simple words. Why not just an ordinary onscreen keyboard?

Some questions though.

1. Where do I get the USB cable?

2. Any free games available that can be run from the memory card such as MAME, etc?

3. I can't figure out how to change the background color. At the moment it's green. I want it to be blue.

Thanks a million.
( Last edited by RonnieoftheRose; Mar 26, 2005 at 12:04 AM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2005, 10:56 PM

How would you enter text on a PSP?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

RonnieoftheRose
Mar 25, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
At the moment it's almost the same way as text input on a phone. The Register revealed the PSP's Email client a few months back. Then the beta was pulled off the net by Sony.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2005, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
It has a virtual keyboard.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2005, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:

1. Where do I get the USB cable?

2. Any free games available that can be run from the memory card such as MAME, etc?

3. I can't figure out how to change the background color. At the moment it's green. I want it to be blue.

Thanks a million.
1. Anywhere that sells a standard USB cable that is small on one end and normal on the other.

2. Not that i know of

3. The background will automatically change for each month of the year, cool!

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2005, 12:38 AM

1. Anywhere that sells a standard USB cable that is small on one end and normal on the other.

2. Not that i know of

3. The background will automatically change for each month of the year, cool!
3. or you can do what i did and purposely set the date wrong to get the color of choice
Next month is supposed to be pink... but thats not happenin'

just like this month is supposed to be green... I think my psp will be perpetually stuck in August (or whatever the 8th month is... i think its August) thats the nice blue you see on the box.

RonnieoftheRose
Mar 26, 2005, 12:50 AM

3. or you can do what i did and purposely set the date wrong to get the color of choice
Next month is supposed to be pink... but thats not happenin'

just like this month is supposed to be green... I think my psp will be perpetually stuck in August (or whatever the 8th month is... i think its August) thats the nice blue you see on the box.

That's insane. Blue is the only background color on the PSP that doesn't hurt my eyes. I hope the next software update lets me choose my own color or even wallpaper. Another thing I would like to see - slideshows with music playlists.

Has anybody seen FIFA on the shelves today? This is the game I wanted more than anything. There was another footy game but it looked like sh1t.

RonnieoftheRose
Mar 26, 2005, 12:54 AM

I must add that the PSP has a better OS than Windows PCs do. And also another thing - Portable Windows Media Players are going to die. I would like Apple to embrace the PSP and add iTunes to it. Much of the music sold is under Sony anyway. Why not make partners out of them? Sony can then dump the silly idea they can make a better music player than the iPod. Together they can rule the world - Sony takes the media player and games market, Apple keeps and expands the music player and online music sales market.
( Last edited by RonnieoftheRose; Mar 26, 2005 at 01:23 AM. )

Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2005, 01:57 AM

Sony takes the media player and games market, Apple keeps and expands the music player and online music sales market.
I am sure Apple has tried but sony don't play that. Sony likes it proprietary hardware, Beta, memory sticks, MiniDiscs, ATRACK (or whatever that MP3 thing is called) and now Blu-ray.

RonnieoftheRose
Mar 26, 2005, 02:16 AM

Has anyone noticed the two hollows near the USB port and two gaps on the bottom too? They look like they're for either a dock, speakers, screen magnifier or other add-on.

Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2005, 02:18 AM

Has anyone noticed the two hollows near the USB port and two gaps on the bottom too? They look like they're for either a dock, speakers, screen magnifier or other add-on.
They are, a keyboard was already announced from a 3rd party. It is obviously to snap things into the USB port, I bet a video camera is coming also.

Forum Links
Forum Rules