Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Fastmac cpu for G3 imac and dvd drive

Fastmac cpu for G3 imac and dvd drive
imackid75
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2007, 01:38 PM

Ive been looking around the web to see what I can still do with my mac, Thats when I found This site. http://fastmac.com/imacslot.php

Has anyone seen or has tried this before , Im also tempted to also get this. (link) http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/m...Code=STORDVDRW

Tell me what you think

Thanks!
500mhz imac G3 indigo 640mb 80gb hd osx 10.4 tiger

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2007, 01:58 PM

I've looked into those recently and decided they just aren't worth the price. By the time you paid for both upgrades you could have purchased a used eMac which would run circles around your upgraded iMac and have a larger monitor to boot! You can purchase a Pioneer Superdrive that is the same model as the MCE for around $60. You could also upgrade your motherboard to a 700MHz G3 for cheap off of ebay. A company used to make a 900MHz G3 upgrade for the slot loaders but it's very hard to find used.

It would be nice if Apple brought back the original design of the iMac with an LCD and low end intel parts and sold it for under $499.

Forum Links
Forum Rules