Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just bought a Honda Fit!

Just bought a Honda Fit!
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 05:54 PM

Yesterday. I took the day off from work, called a Honda dealership, and they had a couple on their lot that hadn't been spoken for. So I ended up with a manual transmission, base trim, in blue. Would have kind of liked to get the Sport, mainly for the cruise control and MP3 support, but those aren't big issues. I got keyless entry added as a dealer option.

So anyway, I'm very happy with it. It's beautiful - I was originally looking for a red one but I think I actually like the blue a bit more. It's fun to drive, quiet, and it corners so well. There's tons of room in the back for cargo. Acceleration is sluggish, but that's to be expected from a 109 hp car. Still, it's adequate.

I'm trying to get some accessories for it but I have no clue where to buy them. Mainly I want a sun shade for the windshield and a pair of floor mats because right now the floor is a very slippery vinyl. And I have no clue where to buy stuff like that. I didn't want to drop over $100 on dealer-optioned floor mats. I'm thinking someplace like Napa Auto Parts might have them, but I didn't see sun shades on their website.

P1x0rz will be provided once I get my camera back from my brother.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 06:13 PM

Wal-Mart has the accessories you desire. That car looks whack imo, but I drive a ford escape, so what do I know?

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 06:26 PM

handa accessories has a lot of factory accessories for CHEAP!!!

http://www.handa-accessories.com/fit07.html

$72 for stock floormats...

-Zach

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 06:44 PM

Neat site, thanks for pointing it out. Too bad they're back ordered on all-season mats. Since I'm in Minnesota I'm going to need them.

I'll see what local shops have for rubber floor mats before I order from them but I'll definitely keep that in mind. Might also get the aluminum shift knob just for kicks

finboy
Jul 22, 2008, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post
handa accessories has a lot of factory accessories for CHEAP!!!

$72 for stock floormats...

-Zach
I think you'll find that lots of Fit accessories, and the cars themselves, are in short supply.

The mat for the rear area (or something to cover the cardboard) is essential. That cargo/tire cover is really thin. As for the floor mats, you have to make a few small cuts to the existing carpet and soundproofing to install them, but it's no big deal (to install the hooks I mean). According to my parts guy here, some of the stuff is very hard to find. I'm going to end up getting the bumper cover for the back and the door sills, eventually. Otherwise, the paint will get scuffed easily.

We got one a few weeks ago, and it does real well. It gets 34 in town, but it's a manual transmission Sport model. BRIGHT ORANGE so people can SEE US -- this is big truck territory down here. They were selling pretty FAST. Flying off the lots as they say. Civics were going too. For the $, we picked the Fit. Plenty of pep, but I don't feel as safe as in my Liberty or Passport. Our bigger cars are for highway trips with the kids when we need them.

Anyhow, I had a 92 Civic DX hatchback with about 110 HP and a little heavier, and this Fit reminds me of it. Like driving a skateboard on the interstate. Fun, in a roller coaster kind of way.
( Last edited by finboy; Jul 22, 2008 at 09:25 PM. )

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 09:25 PM

I ended up getting a set of generic rubber mats for $20. Funny thing is, the large mats fit best for the back seats, and vice versa.

I'll also have to drop by a Goodwill to get an old blanket. I'm planning on using an old beat-up blanket or sheet to protect the inside of the car in case I want to transport my bike.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2008, 11:26 PM

Congrats on the Fit purchase. I've been eyeing a Fit as a work vehicle to transport machines and servers onto different job-sites. After you've got it broken in, you'll have to share with us what kind of milage you're getting with the 5-speed manual.

Honda makes a great product and I'm really looking forward to the new 2009 Fit model.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 10:39 PM

I got a base auto Fit in Nov07 and I've been averaging 32-34mpg with A/C full blast, on highway, local stop and go - doesn't seem to matter. Great for parallel parking, just need to be a little skittish on the highway around semis and soccer moms in hummers.

fitfreak.net for everything Fit related.

There's a huge post about adding the AUX jack to the base model. I'm gonna do it once I find the time...

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 10:46 PM

damn intertubes...

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2008, 02:45 PM

Wow, I bought a Vivid Blue base fit the same day you posted this thread. My POS Subaru blew up for the last time!

This car is amazing! I was looking for a Fit or Prius, but all the dealers in a three state radius said that the 08's are sold out and would have to wait until October for a Fit or December for a Prius when the 09's come out. So since I needed a new vehicle ASAP and I'm in the midst of building a house I figured it's a great time to purchase a truck (not to drive one). Nissan has $8,000 off their Frontiers, but the local dealer sold the last King Cab right before I got there. On a whim I went to the local Dodge/Honda dealer because I've heard they are literally paying people to take the Ram's off of their hands. When a nice sales lady inquired to how she could help me, I half jokingly asked, "do you have any Fits?" Sure enough there was one left and I didn't hesitate to buy it for retail on the spot.

I don't even believe in buying a new car because the depreciation hit you take as soon as you drive it off the lot, but dealers and individuals are selling these and other small vehicles used for more than they retailed brand new!

I love the "Magic Seats". I swear I could almost fit plywood and drywall in this car. I've heard of people fitting 50"+ TV's and other crazy things like refrigerators in the back without much of a problem.

For awesome all weather floor mats check out

http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp...1284&Year=2008

I haven't ordered mine yet, but I think they should work great for winter.

Also the iPod adapter from USA-Spec is a must.

I need to order keyless as well. I would like to get rid of the wheel covers and get the 16" rims and cruise control down the road. The Sport appearance accessories would be nice someday as well.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 24, 2008, 04:03 PM

The 2009 model looks to be yards better. Still, Fits are nice and purposeful while still being fun, regardless of year. I'll start a thread on my new car in a few mins, ya!
ice

Roscoe
Baninated
Aug 5, 2008, 12:41 AM

My sister just bought one. With an automatic. I failed at being a big brother. >sigh<

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2008, 12:56 AM

Hey it could be worse. She could have bought an automatic SUV with non functioning turn signals.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

finboy
Aug 5, 2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
My sister just bought one. With an automatic. I failed at being a big brother. >sigh<
My wife wanted to use our "Summer Pay" (for teaching summer courses) for either a small travel trailer or a gas saving car. With oil prices going as they are (were) I thought the better idea would be the small car. But I was firm on the manual transmission (which has really paid off so far) and the bright color ( ORANGE ).

First day we drove it we got stopped in a small town nearby -- seems we had our hats on backwards at the time, and were "driving while orange." He didn't have anything to say once he walked up to the car and saw the two kids in back. He muttered that "speed limits change often on this road" and let us go on our way.

We call it the Clown Car. Because that's what it looks like. Nice to drive and very comfortable to ride in though.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2008, 10:38 AM

The orange one is where it's at....and it fits an Alpaca according to Honda! Magic seats indeed.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Aug 5, 2008, 08:54 PM

I see this cars everywhere, I must say that I like the look. Congrats!

Forum Links
Forum Rules