Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes to Rio MP3 transfer

iTunes to Rio MP3 transfer
Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2003, 01:24 PM

I know most people would not recommend this due to issues with quality of the sound, but I would like to know if there is a way within iTunes (the latest version) to have mp3s that get imported to an attached mp3 player (I have the Rio 600) get imported at a lower bitrate automatically to save space.

I have 96 megs of space available to me with my Rio, and i encode my mp3s into iTunes at 128, and i'd like to have mp3s in itunes get imported to the rio at 96 or even 64. I only use the rio with headphones, and the quality difference won't end up being much of an issue to me... atleast i don't expect it to.

if anyone knows how to do this, please let me know..

and spare me the issues of converting to a lower bitrate from an mp3 file as opposed to directly from a WAV or audio CD. i understand this is not preferred, and quality may suffer because it.
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

djjava
Senior User
Jun 2, 2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Jacket:
I know most people would not recommend this due to issues with quality of the sound, but I would like to know if there is a way within iTunes (the latest version) to have mp3s that get imported to an attached mp3 player (I have the Rio 600) get imported at a lower bitrate automatically to save space.

I have 96 megs of space available to me with my Rio, and i encode my mp3s into iTunes at 128, and i'd like to have mp3s in itunes get imported to the rio at 96 or even 64. I only use the rio with headphones, and the quality difference won't end up being much of an issue to me... atleast i don't expect it to.

if anyone knows how to do this, please let me know..

and spare me the issues of converting to a lower bitrate from an mp3 file as opposed to directly from a WAV or audio CD. i understand this is not preferred, and quality may suffer because it.
Get an iPod with your Tax-cut check.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2003, 03:37 PM

Again, it's probably best that you look at an iPod. You can get some truly amazing deals on older generation iPods which still have more space than a Rio could ever hope of having. It really is the best. But I'm sure you've heard that.

Anyway, if you don't mind sacrificing some harddrive space all you have to do is:

1) In preferences, set iTunes to import at 64 or 96 kbps Mp3.

2) In iTunes, highlight all the songs you want to transfer onto your Rio.

3) In the Advanced Menu (I think . I'm not at a Mac right now ) go to "Convert Selection to Mp3."

This will convert all of your selected songs to a lower bitrate and display them alongside your originals. I'd say make a smart playlist to automatically display all songs under 128 kbps, and use that to sync music up to your Rio.

But, really, man. You should get yourself an iPod. Hell, I'll sell you my 5 gigger. Cheap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules