Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Solution for printing on HP Officejet

Solution for printing on HP Officejet
Patton76
Aug 27, 2002, 03:04 PM

First you have to install the GIMP drivers, you can find them on versiontracker.com.

Then open print center, and option click add printer.

Select advanced. Your officejet will be in the drop down menu.

Select officejet d series.

In the model drop menu select ESP, end then the HP new deskjet series.

And everything works, even printersharing works.

You can also set things up directly through CUPS, but I guess the print center method is easier.

Have fun and enjoy your working officejet.

Patton76  (op)
Aug 27, 2002, 03:07 PM

I do wonder, why HP doesn't put this temporary on their website.

I think it's better marketing to say that their are no drivers, but for the meantime we have a solution through CUPS.

I prefer a printer that WORKS!

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2002, 04:18 PM

It's not working here The OfficeJet d145 does not show up anywhere. Do I need HP's old drivers installed for this to work?

Patton76  (op)
Aug 27, 2002, 04:37 PM

Have you dl the GIMP drivers?

Don't forget to option click the add printer button, also you're printer needs to be turned on to be recognized by CUPS.

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2002, 03:08 AM

GIMP drivers are installed, the printer is on and plugged in and I did option-click the 'Add Printer' button but still no go. I select advanced in the top menu, the second one (Device) gives me the usual options: PAP, IPP, HTTP, LPD/LPR, SMB etc, but no OfficeJet d.
I'd select usb, but I wouldn't know what to enter as the usb:// address.
Also according to the gimp-print page on SourceForge the OfficeJets aren't even supported at all.
I'm building gimp-print-4.3.4 to see if that fixes anything (It's newer than the one found on VersionTracker).

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2002, 03:19 AM

Apparently you have to restart CUPS for the USB printer to be recognized. So much for plug and play eh?
Anyway, the fastest way to do this is to go to the terminal and type
Code:
ps -ax | grep cups
which should result in something looking like
Code:
360 ?? Ss 0:26.31 /usr/sbin/cupsd
. You'll need the number at the left (the one which is bold here). Then type
Code:
sudo kill -HUP 360
, replacing 360 with the number you found in the first step. This restarts CUPS and the printer now should appear in the Device popup.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2002, 06:04 AM

Sadly, the CUPS & Gimp-Print solution doesn't seem to work with the OfficeJet G series: I tried the procedure with my G85 (it correctly shows up in the list, and so on), even restarted the computer - but the printer doesn't respond when you print a document (the progress bar in Print Center remains at 0%).

On the good side, there *is* support for the duplex unit (automatic two-sided printing) for the OJ in CUPS/Gimp-Print!

Anyway, I guess I'll have to wait for HP's new drivers...

J.W. Pepper
Aug 28, 2002, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by Sven G:
Sadly, the CUPS & Gimp-Print solution doesn't seem to work with the OfficeJet G series: I tried the procedure with my G85 (it correctly shows up in the list, and so on), even restarted the computer - but the printer doesn't respond when you print a document (the progress bar in Print Center remains at 0%).

On the good side, there *is* support for the duplex unit (automatic two-sided printing) for the OJ in CUPS/Gimp-Print!

Anyway, I guess I'll have to wait for HP's new drivers...
I have this printer, but have not installed 10.2 on the machine that uses this printer. Is you G85 on a print server or USB?

Sven G
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2002, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by J.W. Pepper:
I have this printer, but have not installed 10.2 on the machine that uses this printer. Is your G85 on a print server or USB?
It is on USB (to be more precise, it is connected through an USB switch, which has worked flawlessly sofar).

As I also have a DeskJet 970C connected, there could perhaps be a conflict with the new HP DeskJet 2.0 driver - who knows...? I've tried to remove the 970C from Print Center, but nothing changes (no OJ printing). As for the procedure, I followed the original poster's suggestions exactly. BTW, anyone knows what ESP means?
( Last edited by Sven G; Aug 28, 2002 at 10:26 AM. )

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2002, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by Sven G:

It is on USB (to be more precise, it is connected through an USB switch, which has worked flawlessly sofar).

As I also have a DeskJet 970C connected, there could perhaps be a conflict with the new HP DeskJet 2.0 driver - who knows...? I've tried to remove the 970C from Print Center, but nothing changes (no OJ printing). As for the procedure, I followed the orginal poster's suggestions exactly. BTW, anyone knows what ESP means?
ESP = Easy Software Products.

A couple of links that may be helpful:

Web interface for CUPS and printer management

AllOSX How To install and use drivers with gimp-print

HTH

Arty50
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 02:37 AM

Hi all,

Just wanted to weigh in a little on this. Tonight I had an awesome experience. Through the magic of OS X and Gimp Print, I managed to hook up a completely unsupported HP T45 AIO via Belkin's entirely unsupported USB to Parallel cable. Drivers for both of these products have never existed for any Mac OS (Classic or X).

I used Gimp Print 3.2.2 rc3 on Jag. Luckily, there was an article about hooking up this printer. The writer found two printer profiles that work with the T45. It went quickly and things are working perfectly.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2002, 03:26 PM

I just installed gimp-print-4.2.2-rc3-ppc a minute ago and I can print to an Officejet G95/ Jetdirect 170X over IP using the Deskjet 900 driver.
Very easy install.

Forum Links
Forum Rules