Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > ipod photo vs ipod also use as portable hard drive

ipod photo vs ipod also use as portable hard drive
bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2005, 09:34 PM

is there any advantage to buying an ipod photo versus the normal ipod, other than being able to display photos on a tv and of course the colour screen, and of course difference in hd size.

I am going to buy an ipod and don't really think I will use the photo option (don't even have a digital camera as yet), also not really bothered about the coloured screen, but it did occur to me that maybe apple might at a later date make some attachments for it such as being able to take a photo with it or watch dvds on the ipod photo, so perhaps I am better to get the ipod photo, or am I better just to get the normal ipod?

Also is having a colour screen such a bonus if I am not really using it to display photos. I know you can look at the cover art in colour, but can't get that excited about that! I have recently changed from a b&w screen mobile phone to a colour screen mobile phone and I find the colour screen much harder to see! So for me no great advantages in having a colour screen, or am I missing something?

Apart from using it as a music player, the only other attraction of buying the ipod photo was I was thinking of using the ipod as a portable hard drive from pc to mac, so thought the extra hard drive space (30gig compared to normal ipod 20gig) might come in handy. The apple people told me to format the ipod on the pc then I would be able to use it as a hard drive and transfer files from pc to mac to pc.

The apple people make it sound easy, But I know from previous tries at using a 120 gig external hard drive from work pc to home mac (about 2 years ago) that it was a big hassle, I had to partition it into 30 gig lots on the pc, which took about 4 hours! So if it is going to be a hassle to use it as external hard drive from pc to mac, then it defeats the purpose of me getting a lot of gig (I don't have a big music collection). for that reason also I am thinking that buying an ipod bigger than 30 gig would probably have to be partitioned, or as technology progressed since my last try?

Sometimes I think I must be the only person in the world that has a need to transfer files from pc to mac, but unfortunately I can't control my work or friends purchasing decisions in buying pcs!

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by bonniescotland:
is there any advantage to buying an ipod photo versus the normal ipod, other than being able to display photos on a tv and of course the colour screen, and of course difference in hd size.
your wallet will be easier to carry around?

mawsdz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 02:54 AM

I haven't had any trouble using the external drive feature on my iPod. It seems to work very well, much better than my Belkin FW drive.

I have found that the color screen on the iPod is nice. It isn't necessary but it is pretty sweet. The text is sharp, the colors are nice, and the screen is bright. I specifically like the calendar much better on the color, and the contact info it stores is easier to read.

If you are going to use it as an external drive it is worth the extra 10 gigs for 50 bucks, always get more if you can afford, it will increase the longevity of the unit.

I was able to pick up a 40g refresh yesterday for 340 bucks. It came with all the cables and the dock. The new 30g is 350 and doesn't come with FW or a dock. Check at your local apple store, or order the 40g for $379 on the apple site.

Forum Links
Forum Rules