Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iChat can't connect to Jabber network

iChat can't connect to Jabber network
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2007, 12:38 AM

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had no problem connecting to Jabber via my gmail account. Now I get an error message from iChat that says "Could not connect to Jabber". I disconnected my router and went straight through my DSL modem. Turned off OS X's firewall. Double-checked settings on Google's support page. Still nothing. Anybody got any ideas? Should this be in the Networking section?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2007, 01:44 AM

We would need to know a bit about your Jabber server you are using to help you, most likely. Can you connect to it via another client?

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2007, 08:59 AM

Sorry for the ignorance, but I don't understand what you are saying. My Jabber server? All I know is I put my info in the iChat preferences for a jabber connection and it connected just fine and I was able to to chat with my Dad (who downloaded the google client). The only other client I have is Yahoo's and I don't see an option for Jabber. Thank you for your help.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2007, 09:46 AM

And when you entered your information you must have entered the Jabber-server you are connecting to. There are numerous Jabber-servers, so knowing which one you are connecting to is kind of important for troubleshooting.

If you want to try another client, you could use Adium.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
And when you entered your information you must have entered the Jabber-server you are connecting to.
talk.google.com, port # 5223.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2007, 09:10 PM

Just re-entered my password for my gmail account and now all is working.

Forum Links
Forum Rules