Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > HELP! How do I get my iPod to sync with my newly formatted hard drive?

HELP! How do I get my iPod to sync with my newly formatted hard drive?
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2007, 02:25 AM

My RAID crashed and I've got everything reinstalled including all updates. I plug my iPod in and I get 2 choices: delete everything on the iPod and transfer contents of iTunes onto the iPod (which is nothing) or transfer purchases.

One of the reasons I bought an iPod was so that I would have a backup of all my music, photos, and movies. Now I can't get to them? I see how I could probably toggle invisibility off and then Add to Library but I want everything on the iPod (playlists included) just to sync back automatically.

What do I do?

Parky
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2007, 03:39 PM

The contents of your iPod ARE NOT A BACKUP of iTunes, you should always have real backups of your music.

The iPod is a slave device to iTunes and as such iTunes is designed to only allow music to be copied to it not from it (at the request of the music labels). The one exception is that iTunes Store music can be copied off the iPod back into iTunes (there is an option in the File Menu)

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2007, 03:51 PM

Try Senuti?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2007, 04:39 PM

While it's probably true that you shouldn't use the iPod as your main backup for your music, there are many many third-party programs (like Senuti) that can copy your music back to your computer from the iPod.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2007, 05:47 PM

Will it work to make the hidden files visible and then do an 'Add to Library' from iTunes and navigate to the iPod?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2007, 06:41 PM

It might, but why not just use Senuti? It works quite well, and I think it may even preserve playlists.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2007, 06:43 PM

Senuti looks like it just does songs.....what about my pictures (and albums) and movies?

Thank you for the suggestions....

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2007, 07:56 PM

Senuti should work with videos. If you had the full resolution versions of your pictures saved (which I strongly recommend), you can just enable disc use for your iPod and then copy them off in the finder. If you don't have full resolution copies, you'll only be able to get the iPod-formatted copies (which are quite a bit smaller) by using a special third party program. There are a few that will do this, but I've never used any of them so I don't really have any suggestions. Does anyone else?

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Senuti should work with videos. If you had the full resolution versions of your pictures saved (which I strongly recommend), you can just enable disc use for your iPod and then copy them off in the finder. If you don't have full resolution copies, you'll only be able to get the iPod-formatted copies (which are quite a bit smaller) by using a special third party program. There are a few that will do this, but I've never used any of them so I don't really have any suggestions. Does anyone else?
I did enable saving full resolution photos. I guess I lose my albums though, huh?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 20, 2007, 12:38 AM

Yes, unless there is a third party program that can extract the album data (and there may be).

Forum Links
Forum Rules